Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

I'm going to whine. Not that anyone really cares LOL

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 09:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm going to whine. Not that anyone really cares LOL

I went to work in my yard since it was a nice day.
I got a little bit of stuff done. It started to rain ,no warning sheets of rain lightning thunder. wind blowing 60 mph gusts. In less than 10 mins my pond and river were ruined. well at least the citrus, banana trees and pineapple plants are ok . I need a damn beer.

So needless to say i have to redig and reshape I posted pics of before and after
http://webpages.charter.net/slowpokez/
Old 04-23-2005, 09:26 PM
TECH Veteran

What area is your house in? That is some hard soil, lucky out here we have a good draining sandy mix with rich topsoil.
It sucks big time when you get a washout like you did, I learned that the hard way while living in Lynnwood. Took 2 months of amending the soil 2½' down in areas where I did projects similar to yours but never had a problem after even if we got stuck under a week of rain. I kinda wonder if you might have the same problem even after you are done - digging down and dumping 6" of 5/8 mix crushed and round rock saved my projects for 10 years on a sloped lot where everyones water channeled into.

And no offense but where are the Knomes? Ya gotta have them too to keep the kids company!
Old 04-23-2005, 09:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GEARHED
What area is your house in? That is some hard soil, lucky out here we have a good draining sandy mix with rich topsoil.

And no offense but where are the Knomes? Ya gotta have them too to keep the kids company!
The gnomes are currently in the house waiting for the washed-out area to be prepared for them We still need to lay down weed-block and finish off the bark and plants for that area before the gnomes go in.

We live in Moxee - just outside Yakima - in what until last year was a hop field. The contractor failed to water-down our lot correctly so we did not know the condition of the dirt until spring - since when we moved it it was all still loose. It is AWFUL! Eight inches down there is a 8"-10" layer of clay that had crop burns done right on top of it and is rock-hard so the water doesnt drain properly NOW we know we need to modify the soil .... a little late for some of the stuff! On the up-side, most of the front yard is going to be covered in pond-liner and weed block so that should prevent some of the wash-out. Also, we will be installing gutters to keep the rain water from heading straight for the landscaping in the future!
Old 04-23-2005, 09:55 PM
TECH Veteran

GNOMES (a spelling moment there)

That is the kind of soil I had, clay with a hard top and HUGE chunks of crap from the parking lot behind us. A grade school that when they put the parking lot in front of the building, the houses weren't there so they dozed the dirt and these two and three man chunks of crete and asphalt right into the soil - them buried em' under 6-8" crap topsoil over clay bed.

It was a pita but made a huge difference when I dug down and amended the soil - the neighbors wanted to know my secret.
What? You *never* looked over the fence for two months? lol
Old 04-23-2005, 09:57 PM
Tech Addict

Wow your the serious landscaper.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not sure, if i posted the pics showing the huge pile of dirt that will be the waterfall. the general idea of the yard was sand blending into water oasis then. blending into a forest to a enchanted forest with gnomes and fairies
it is very hard to plan and execute a viable setup.so we figure it will be a 3-4 yr project...any ideas shoot them over we are always willing to hear new ideas.

The z28 and our yard are one of the most important things to us. Right after our 4 munchkins lol
Old 04-25-2005, 07:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

That really sucks! We did see the report on the news about the Flash floods and the tornado and lightening...Yikes, what a scary storm for you guys!

Quick Reply: I'm going to whine. Not that anyone really cares LOL