Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Moving Truck Rental Info Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 07:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Moving Truck Rental Info Help Please

Ok, I am moving soon and I have been looking into the costs of doing this and it is UNREAL!!!!!

I am loading/unloading the truck myself but need to rent a truck (somewhere between 15-25 foot size) 1-way from Los Angeles, CA to the Seattle, WA area for about 5 days or so.........as it stands now, the cost of a truck & car trailer for my car is looking like it will be close to $5,000 or more including gas prices and what not.

Does anyone know of a good company that is reasonable in it's rental rates for this kind of move? I am open to all kinds of suggestions at this point. Thanks in advance.

I will be posting this all over, so it you see it somewhere else, please forgive the repeat.

Darrin
Old 04-28-2005, 07:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ouch maybe i'm wrong but a 25ft u haul is like 2500. from los angelas and if you need a car dolly that is 500 extra

the 17 foot is like 1600 and the 14 foot is around 1200 just seems like it was that much when a buddy of mine moved a yr ago
But then again it was a yr ago too and fuel for the 24 ft he rented was like 400
Old 04-28-2005, 07:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by slowpokez28
ouch maybe i'm wrong but a 25ft u haul is like 2500. from los angelas and if you need a car dolly that is 500 extra

the 17 foot is like 1600 and the 14 foot is around 1200 just seems like it was that much when a buddy of mine moved a yr ago
But then again it was a yr ago too and fuel for the 24 ft he rented was like 400
Thank you, I hadn't got to U-haul yet (due to prior bad experiences with the company), but at 1st glance it looks like a lil over 3 grand plus mileage (which is about 1200 or so).......better, but I am still looking for additional suggestions.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't know what these guys charge, but it's another moving Company with big trucks..and no mileage fees...

Penske Truck Rental
Old 04-28-2005, 08:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Z ANGEL
I don't know what these guys charge, but it's another moving Company with big trucks..and no mileage fees...

Penske Truck Rental
Thank you.......I like them as they have a 12% discount for AAA members and a 10% discount if you book online.....although I doubt I can get them both together. And of course their car trailers won't/don't hold our cars (F-bods)
Old 04-28-2005, 08:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they have services where you pack what is essentially a couple of 5' containers, and they come pick them up and deliver them to the new location. I seem to recall those being the most cost efficient, though they can take longer than moving them yourself on the same coast.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:35 AM
TECH Regular

Penske is so much better than Uhaul.

but occasionally.. uhaul will have cheaper rates.. dealing with their service sucks though... as well as the reliability of the vehicle.
Old 04-29-2005, 07:42 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone is better than U-Haul.... U-Haul is the most fucked company on the planet. Budget took waaay good care of me last time I moved.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by narcszm
they have services where you pack what is essentially a couple of 5' containers, and they come pick them up and deliver them to the new location. I seem to recall those being the most cost efficient, though they can take longer than moving them yourself on the same coast.
Is that like upack.com or pods.com?
Originally Posted by Nathan
Penske is so much better than Uhaul.

but occasionally.. uhaul will have cheaper rates.. dealing with their service sucks though... as well as the reliability of the vehicle.
Originally Posted by DrEvyl
Anyone is better than U-Haul.... U-Haul is the most fucked company on the planet. Budget took waaay good care of me last time I moved.
Yeah, I have had less then pleasent experiences with Uhaul, so they are not high on my list, especially since they are more pricey then some I have seen so far.

&%$^%#^#@@ Budget....the cost from L.A. to Seattle is a lil oer 3 grand BUT they have specials from Seattle TO L.A. for $1400 WTF is up with that?????
Old 04-29-2005, 11:39 AM
TECH Resident

Old 04-29-2005, 12:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Rottluver
Is that like upack.com or pods.com?

Yeah, I have had less then pleasent experiences with Uhaul, so they are not high on my list, especially since they are more pricey then some I have seen so far.

&%$^%#^#@@ Budget....the cost from L.A. to Seattle is a lil oer 3 grand BUT they have specials from Seattle TO L.A. for $1400 WTF is up with that?????
It means there are too many people leaving on one-way trips and the stock here is too high. I used to work for U Haul and Alamo so I know how that works...U Haul is not worth renting for this trip so some of the alternate suggestions are worth looking into.
Old 04-29-2005, 01:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes, like pods.com or www.containerizedmoving.com
Old 04-29-2005, 01:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by GEARHED
It means there are too many people leaving on one-way trips and the stock here is too high. I used to work for U Haul and Alamo so I know how that works...U Haul is not worth renting for this trip so some of the alternate suggestions are worth looking into.
Weird.......sorta makes sense, but weird. I checked the cost from a City about 100 miles from here........$1300

Not a fan of U-Haul so they are potentially scratched off my list.
Originally Posted by narcszm
yes, like pods.com or www.containerizedmoving.com
Thx, I will check the second one.....PODS wants between 4 & 5 grand as well.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:49 PM
TECH Regular

For what its worth - I just moved here from Idaho last June. I agree that Uhaul isn't the greatest, but when I did my research, they were the cheapest. I rented a 26' for 5 days and it was $850 and allowed 820 miles. Budget wanted more and I checked into upack and pods and they wanted like you said $5k. Uhaul was by far cheaper for me.

Edit - I did book it 3-4 weeks in advance though.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Rockin C Racing
For what its worth - I just moved here from Idaho last June. I agree that Uhaul isn't the greatest, but when I did my research, they were the cheapest. I rented a 26' for 5 days and it was $850 and allowed 820 miles. Budget wanted more and I checked into upack and pods and they wanted like you said $5k. Uhaul was by far cheaper for me.

Edit - I did book it 3-4 weeks in advance though.
Apparently the whole supply & demand thing is hard at work here......U-Haul is the most expensive so far and Budget is the cheapest IF I drive to a City 100 miles from here to get the truck and that will end up costing me about $75 extra dollars (plus fuel) for the added mileage but if I go with a truck, that is THE way to do it so it seems. PODS is outrageously expensive but upack is looking like it will come in between $1700 and $2k so I am very enthused about that................we shall see.

And I am booking just shy of a month in advance......for whatever that is worth.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Try asking about different drop-off locations, I moved my daughter from San Diego in Jan. and saved $400 by driving the truck to Arlington instead of dropping it in Seattle.
Old 04-30-2005, 10:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Rottluver
Apparently the whole supply & demand thing is hard at work here......U-Haul is the most expensive so far and Budget is the cheapest IF I drive to a City 100 miles from here to get the truck and that will end up costing me about $75 extra dollars (plus fuel) for the added mileage but if I go with a truck, that is THE way to do it so it seems. PODS is outrageously expensive but upack is looking like it will come in between $1700 and $2k so I am very enthused about that................we shall see.

And I am booking just shy of a month in advance......for whatever that is worth.
That makes it worth it - 100 miles fees isn't much compared to a grand. Keep checking each week. Stations change needs from week to week and you might be able to cancel your now reservation for one cheaper one week before you leave.

Moving sucks.
Old 04-30-2005, 10:21 PM
TECH Veteran

That makes it worth it - 100 miles fees isn't much compared to a grand. Keep checking each week. Stations change needs from week to week and you might be able to cancel your now reservation for one cheaper one week before you leave.

Moving sucks.
Well, it looks like I am going the upack.com route......cheaper (I don't have to fill up a gas guzzling truck over & over) and I can drive my TA up there instead of trailer her.

Thanks for all the help/advice from everyone.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Actually I'm relieved to hear you are coming that way - wait, that sounded wrong.
do over

Actually I'm relieved to hear you are going that way - aw screw it, nuthin sounds right but you will get here in style
Old 05-02-2005, 10:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Actually I'm relieved to hear you are coming that way - wait, that sounded wrong.
do over

Actually I'm relieved to hear you are going that way - aw screw it, nuthin sounds right but you will get here in style
I am liking your style girl.

Makes me wanna even faster to get up there. Hopefully there are more girls that think like you up there.

Quick Reply: Moving Truck Rental Info Help Please