Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Exhaust exhaust exhaust

Old 05-30-2005, 12:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Exhaust exhaust exhaust

Ok, so I am facing a dilemma......last year I had true duals installed on my car (I put QTP long tubes on it at the same time). Custom 3" mandrel bent, x-pipe, dual cats, dual bullet mufflers, the whole works and it exits over the axle. Now since I hardly drive my car (up until recently) I never really noticed how horrifically low the exhaust sits. The guy who did it, who came highly recommended no less, has my x-pipe and mufflers so low that I would bet there is less then 2 inches of ground clearance . Which means that I scrape and spark an insane amount even under normal driving conditions and basically just do not enjoy driving her like I used to. I am only lowered 1" (with the SLP Eibachs) so it isn't a drastic drop. My choices seem to be as follows:

1) Find a local shop to see if they can completely redo the duals and tuck them up MUCH higher

2) Remove what I have now and go with the TSP duals that dump & have no cats (very loud I have heard)

3) Go to a catted Y-pipe and some sort of catback exhaust with I-pipe and ditch this dual setup completely.

This has really been bumming me out lately. So much so that I am regularly looking around for a car to trade her in on. Any suggestions anyone???? No serious ideas will be looked upon harshly.....I really love my car, especially after meeting up with some of you last night but she just isn't fun to drive anymore & when that happens, I start getting that new car desire building up quickly in me.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-30-2005, 12:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Their is an exhaust shop in smokey point that does nice work, I think some of the guys have used them before. Later on today, one of them will pipe in and tell you the name of it.

True duels without cats and dumps would be really loud, But if you don't drive it that often, It wouldn't be that bad.

I would not sell it just because of the exhaust issue, that is too easy to fix.
Old 05-30-2005, 12:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by sardog46
Their is an exhaust shop in smokey point that does nice work, I think some of the guys have used them before. Later on today, one of them will pipe in and tell you the name of it.

True duels without cats and dumps would be really loud, But if you don't drive it that often, It wouldn't be that bad.

Well, the dumped cat-less duals is NOT my first choice, but I do have 2 boxes of B-Quiet I could throw in the car if it came down to it...........the exhaust isn't the ONLY reason I wanna sell her, just another in a long line of crap (not all mechanical) that makes me want to do it. I probably won't, but things like this really make me pause and wonder......I just wish I had never gone ahead with the TDs in the 1st place.
Old 05-30-2005, 12:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sardog46

Randy's Custom Exhaust in Smokey point. Great guy, awesome work! 360-657-4326.

As far as fixing it he could probably do something for ya for a reasonable price. If you want a different sound out of your car, you can listen to what we all have on our cars and see if you want to change to a catback or something. It all comes down to money and what you want your car to sound like.
Old 05-30-2005, 12:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Rottluver
Well, the dumped cat-less duals is NOT my first choice, but I do have 2 boxes of B-Quiet I could throw in the car if it came down to it...........the exhaust isn't the ONLY reason I wanna sell her, just another in a long line of crap (not all mechanical) that makes me want to do it. I probably won't, but things like this really make me pause and wonder......I just wish I had never gone ahead with the TDs in the 1st place.
That's easily fixed... I'd say if you don't like the loudness and fitment headaches of your true duals, I say scrap 'em and go with a good sounding catback. One that I've heard that sounds really mellow at idle and has a nice growl at WOT is the Hooker catback... it's also very inexpensive, so making the switch won't kill your bank account. If you want something that's still mellow and is also stainless, go with a Magnaflow catback... being stainless it costs a little more, but it would be better if you plan on showing your car and putting mirrors down under it.
Old 05-30-2005, 01:15 PM
TECH Addict

With only a 1" drop there's NO reason why you couldn't have at least 3" of clearance and maybe even 3 1/2". With this much you wouldn't have any problem at all. It sounds like a catback might be a welcome addition to your car as well. Budget Towing in Mt. Vernon does very nice work and is familiar with maximizing exhaust clearance on f-cars .
Old 05-30-2005, 07:50 PM
10 Second Club

Either of those 2 place is going to get you right Darrin......
Old 05-30-2005, 08:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I run headers into a Y pipe No cats. My muffler is a flowmaster 40 series with a duel dump in the stock locations It sits higher than the stock setup.If ellis would be so kind as to repost the video of my car you can get the idea of the way she sounds.I think it sounds growly like a bear lol it is quiet in the car too. the only downside i need new motor mounts so the headers hit the firewall...easy fix

I don't know what wahusker thinks of my exhaust, but ellis thinks it is a sweet sound.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As I have said a time or Two, True Duels on our cars really gain nothing. What little you gain in performance you loose in added wieght

I will race a 4in setup any day over a True duel setup

I keeping it is a must then the two shops noted are great. If you get a cat back go with the stainl;ess. You might notice after a while it rains here on occation Not to mention Stainless is over half as lite and Mild steel exhaust
Old 05-31-2005, 11:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Thanks for the info on the shops guys, I appreciate it. I am not THAT concerned with the sound as I am the clearance. It is just so flippin low right now........I "had" an SLP Loud Mouth on it b4 I got long tubes but it was all welded on and had to be cut off to install the headers and the TD.....and being a former 1st & 2nd Gen kinda guy, TD was THE way to go....or so I thought. I do like the free flowing of it, but I honestly think that unless I run some FI or stroke the motor, I am not gaining a lot. Ellis, just for comparison (and I am sure you are right about the weight issue) my buddy down south has an 02 Bird (same as mine) and we have identical mods except for my cold air setup and he runs a GMMG catback..........we dynod a couple times together and I put down 8-10 rwhp more and 10-15 rwtq more then his car with my TD setup. Whether or not that translates to anything at the track or not, I have no clue........

Right now $$$ is my biggest concern. If I go with a catback, I have to spend some $$ on a catted Y-pipe, a new I-pipe and a catback as well......or just go visit these 2 shops and see what they would charge me for altering my current setup. We shall see. My Rottie is not doing well at all and I am afraid that is going to cost me some serious coin as well........unless it is worse then I think. And on top of all that, I still have to pay the moving truck and find a flippin place to live.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice/help and I am sure I will have more questions/comments for y'all later on this topic.
Old 05-31-2005, 02:11 PM
Tech Addict

The cat backs come with the I pipe. After that you'd either get a Y pipe custom made or buy one from QTP then get the catback of your choice. I have the hooker and love the sound. It should sound even better with headers hooked up to it.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:30 PM
TECH Addict

Also might consider a catback and a cutout for those times you want it to be loud, and quiet most of the time. Rick's exhaust (Hooker?) is what I would get if I were to get a catback system because is is pretty mellow but has a good sound. Randy's exhaust did my custom y-pipe from my long tubes to the stock i-pipe, without cats, $100.
Old 05-31-2005, 04:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Rokko
The cat backs come with the I pipe. After that you'd either get a Y pipe custom made or buy one from QTP then get the catback of your choice. I have the hooker and love the sound. It should sound even better with headers hooked up to it.
Shows ya what I don't know.....I figured they re-used the stock I-pipe......nice to know better now. I have looked at the QTP catted Y and it is $$$ of course. Haven't heard the Hooker catback (that I know of).......any chance I can get a listen to yours?
Originally Posted by Poik
Also might consider a catback and a cutout for those times you want it to be loud, and quiet most of the time. Rick's exhaust (Hooker?) is what I would get if I were to get a catback system because is is pretty mellow but has a good sound. Randy's exhaust did my custom y-pipe from my long tubes to the stock i-pipe, without cats, $100.
I appreciate the idea, but I am not much of a cut-out kinda guy....just never been anything I liked. HOWEVER, I do like the idea of a custom Y-pipe, especially if he/they could re-use the 3" Carsound cats I already have....they are brand new (7-8 months on the car) and then throw on a catback..........that might be better price-wise for me.

Or even better still, in addition to the Y-pipe, I wonder if he/they could or would re-use the 2 bullet mufflers (and put them in the stock muffler location) and the exhaust tips I have and custom fab a catback & I-pipe......Hhhhmmmm.

Thanks guys, you are giving me some REALLY good ideas & advice. I appreciate it a lot.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:16 AM
10 Second Club

I have an LT1 BUT I also run a custom Y-pipe on my Hooker LTs with a singal 4in Dymomax Race bullit. This feeds to my 4in to 3in reducer and 3in Cut out. The reducer feeds a Stock SLP D-D with Quad tips.

The great part is even when my cut out is open it goes through a Muffler. Hp is minor at peak Like 8 or 9 hp...BUT under the curve when it is open I get over 14RWHP and RWTQ when it is open

Seems worth it to me Vid is through full muff system with cut out closed.

From where you are at now getting what you already have would be cheapest. I would go that route

BTW Highest DYNO numbers for my combo on a LT1 through an A4 and 12 bolt
Old 06-01-2005, 12:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
From where you are at now getting what you already have would be cheapest. I would go that route
Can you translate that last part? The blonde in me is overwhelming the senses.

Oh, and I didn't mean that I think cut-outs are bad or not worth it.....just not my cup of tea is all.......
Old 06-01-2005, 12:40 AM
10 Second Club

Translation. Get your Trues fixed
Old 06-01-2005, 10:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
Translation. Get your Trues fixed
Aaaahhhh Spank you sir. My blondeness appreciates your direct translation.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Exhaust exhaust exhaust