Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Best street tire?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 01:23 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Best street tire?

Whats the best street tire for everyday driving? I have GY eagle f1's and are great but is there a better tire for traction during hard launches? I know I'll never get anything as good as a dr but dr's dont look to be so hot in the rain and MT tells you even though they're DOT aproved, they're not very safe for regular driving. So it looks like a separate set of tires for the track and street are called for. I have one pair of brand new 275x40x17's F1's for the front and am thinking about a different tire for the back. Have only used GY's, whats the general consensus here on tire preference. Still thinking about 315's on the back, but dont want the problems, plus the lower profile tire in the back doesnt seem right to do? looking for thoughts here
Old 06-15-2005, 01:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the GY F1 Supercars (OEM tires for Z06s), and those are damn good for traction... pricey, but about as good as you can get on a pure street tire.

But I'm probably a bad gauge, since no matter what street tire I put on my car, since they just smoke with more than half throttle in first gear. But they're grippy as hell in the corners.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone I know that has tried the GY Eagle GS-D3 has LOVED them.......supposed to be really good in wet weather as well. I think a couple people up here have em..........anyone, anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

I doubt they would work good at the track, but what REAL street tire does?

And they DO come in 315/35/17.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:48 PM
TECH Resident

I have the Good Year F1 GS D3s. I love them.

Here is a copy of the review I posted at The Formula Source dot com

Sizes covered: 285/40/17 and 315/35/17

When I first got my car, a 2001 T/A WS6, it had the stock polished aluminum WS6 wheels wrapped with the Good Year Eagle F1 tires all in size 275/40/17. The tires were already worn out so I knew I would have to get new ones soon.

When I decided to change the looks of my car the first thing that came to my mind was to get new wheels. I wasn’t thinking about tires that much, but that changed really fast.

Once I decided on the wheel style and sizes, I started researching for tires.

It’s important to point out that I use my car as a daily driver with occasional street WOT situations. This review won’t be able to rate these tires for the drag strip because I haven’t taken my car to one, nor I believe the GS-D3s are appropriate for that.

Having said that, I will divide this review in the following categories:

a - Compound
b - Design
c - Dry pavement grip
d - Wet pavement grip
e - Snow grip
f - Noise
g - Durability
h - Value (price vs. product quality)

A – COMPOUND
I believe the GS-D3s can be called “medium-soft” compound. The reason for that analysis is obviously tied to the amount of air you put in these tires. From a comfort standpoint the air pressure plays a somewhat important role with these tires. I’ve been using 40psi in all tires and I am impressed with the comfort level and that makes me believe the compound is softer than usual. My car is lowered, so I consider this one positive point for the GS-D3s. I also believe that this kind of compound works in favor of the grip.

B – DESIGN
In my opinion these tires have one of the best designs I ever seen. The side walls are very integrated in the overall looks of the tire and the tread pattern I believe is copied today by several other manufacturers. It really adds to the looks of any car, even more to sports cars.

C – DRY PAVEMENT GRIP
I consider the dry grip the GS-D3s offer well above average. But again, I am using wider tires on the back and I know that helps a lot. In situations where the car is on the limit the normal car behavior is expected but I think the threshold is raised. The walls will flex under high demand but not enough to give before the car starts sliding. In several street WOT situations in dry pavement I was not able to spin these tires in straight line with 3:42 gears. I was able to spin then in 2nd gear on a right turn but I never lost control of the car.

D – WET PAVEMENT GRIP
I think here is where the GS-D3s really shine. Unbelievable wet grip. I had friends driving my car and they were amazed on how hard it was to spin the tires under wet conditions. It’s not impossible, but again the loss of traction point is well above the ones found on your average tire. In fact, these tires can make you feel over confident under the rain so they deserve some serious attention, even though when they start giving up the signs they transmit to the driver are very clear.

E – SNOW GRIP
I drove my car just once on the snow and I won’t do it again. The GS-D3s were not designed for snow, period.

F – NOISE
I am very impressed with the low level of road noise these tires produce, considering I am using 315 on the back. When I first put them on I couldn’t believe how quiet they were. Now, after more than a year I can say they’re starting to get a little more noisy but far away from being annoying. Noise levels are related in great part to road conditions. When the asphalt is grainy and old the noise is louder than I would like. But on smooth surfaces it is almost imperceptible. I believe they would be even quieter if they were 275s all around.

G – DURABILITY
So far, after almost 17 thousand miles the tires are still well above the mark, I would say they still have ¾ of their life intact. Durability also depends on how the car is driven and road conditions, but from the “spirited daily driver” point of view I couldn’t be happier.

H – VALUE (price vs. quality)
I rate this tire as fair valued. Reason being is that now, after more than a year, they went up in price due to high demand. When I bough them last year, I paid the unbelievable price of $85 a piece on sale at www.TireRack.com and today they’re over $300. If I had to buy them again I would, because I believe these are the best tires for those who want confidence, grip and comfort at the same time. For the track I would get some drag radials but for a daily use with plenty of grip for some occasional WOT fun the GS-D3s are the way to go.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:57 PM
TECH Junkie

It depends if your a high speed corner carver then I would look at the above suggestions. If your like me more of a 70mph and under corner guy with most emphasis on straight line acceleration then I like the Nitto DR. They do better then most in the rain (as long as there is some tread) probably last about 65% as long as the tires above even with a few burnouts and are inexpensive in the 275 size. I have ran these on all my cars and in fact wish I would have bought some for the vert instead of the Kumhos for Jyla.

Chris runs these on all four corners and raves about them. If high speed corners are your thing I'd try out the RII's I can't advise for or against because I've never owned them.

If you are TRUELY looking for a daily driver type tire (which with your mods I doubt) then the BFG bdws for 500 at Cosco are a good deal. Quiet great in the rain and you can rotate them for longer life.

Just my .02 and we know thats worth even less
Old 06-15-2005, 03:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 93TAWicked1
It depends if your a high speed corner carver then I would look at the above suggestions. If your like me more of a 70mph and under corner guy with most emphasis on straight line acceleration then I like the Nitto DR. They do better then most in the rain (as long as there is some tread) probably last about 65% as long as the tires above even with a few burnouts and are inexpensive in the 275 size. I have ran these on all my cars and in fact wish I would have bought some for the vert instead of the Kumhos for Jyla.

Chris runs these on all four corners and raves about them. If high speed corners are your thing I'd try out the RII's I can't advise for or against because I've never owned them.

If you are TRUELY looking for a daily driver type tire (which with your mods I doubt) then the BFG bdws for 500 at Cosco are a good deal. Quiet great in the rain and you can rotate them for longer life.

Just my .02 and we know thats worth even less
Bobby if we were in Canada your two cents would be worth a lot more I was thinking about the nitto dr's but what about rain and cornering is my concern. The MT equivelant advises against it.

Well it is my daily driver but with no where to go..lol I get out once a week and its pedal to the metal on that day rain or shine. I do corner very agressively, but want that straightline traction stuff as well. If I could I'd be at the track maybe once a week but dont have the time. I call it a daily driver but my daily drive is none exisistent. But I want the road trip option, I have permission to travel this summer if I want, in laws want to watch the kids.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Lets put it this way Nittos are better in the rain than GSC's, SZ250's which in there time were considered great street tires. I don't think you can compare an MT to a Nitto just feeling the tread and tread pattern will let you know they are different animals. I drove my car to Fresno with the Nittos, Mickey must have made 10 trips to Montana and I'm sure some were in the rain. The only place (again for the MONEY) that I don't like them is at 110+ Not bad for Bonzi runs but I wouldn't want to be going nuts on off ramps with them at that speed. Other guys run that at high speeds with no problems.

Again the RII maybe a better choice for you same tread and material just stiffer sidewalls.

The Nitto is a true street drag radial IMHO the BFG, racemaster, and MT's are more dry pavement at the race track tire. Again I can just give you my experience with them and I like them better than the F1's that came on my WS6 and I will be putting them on the back of the Z06... mayber RII's though..
Old 06-15-2005, 04:33 PM
Banned

what are rII's? where are you getting your tires?

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 06-15-2005 at 04:52 PM.
Old 06-15-2005, 05:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Nitto RII's are basically the Road race tire from Nitto, it is the the drag radial tread design and compound with a stiffer sidewall. Americas tire is where I buy all my tires they will match any price you can find. I think I paid like 160 a piece for my 275 but that was a few years ago.
Old 06-15-2005, 05:02 PM
Banned

Nitto RII's are basically the Road race tire from Nitto, it is the the drag radial tread design and compound with a stiffer sidewall. Americas tire is where I buy all my tires they will match any price you can find. I think I paid like 160 a piece for my 275 but that was a few years ago.
on greenberg or close to there or something?
Old 06-15-2005, 05:04 PM
TECH Junkie

I go to the one on greenburg but there maybe one open in Hillsboro now the building is up. There is also one in Clackamas. I get the best deals from a dude in Greenberg store, he is like a used car salesman "what will it take to get you to buy these tires today etc"
Old 06-15-2005, 05:14 PM
Banned

I go to the one on greenburg but there maybe one open in Hillsboro now the building is up. There is also one in Clackamas. I get the best deals from a dude in Greenberg store, he is like a used car salesman "what will it take to get you to buy these tires today etc"
Oh man, they jacked my car up in the wrong spot and bent the support. I bought a set of GY's from them a long time ago. My fender bulges out a little, I need to get it fixed. They paid me $49 for the damage, was the estimate from the body shop to put it on the frame rack to pull it down and correct it. When are you buying, maybe if we go in together we can get a better deal, tell him you dragged me in and we can lay the story down on him and maybe get an even better deal since they hosed my car in the first place. I'll get some pricing online as well for him to beat. You think the RII's in the back and the F1's up fron will be a'ight?
Old 06-15-2005, 05:24 PM
Loves to change spark plugs

America's Tires rock. I won't go elsewhere.

I won't get into tires much because it looks like you guys are talking about spending more $ a tire than I do. Of course, I drive 250 miles a week nearly year round in mine so I go through them fast. Still, I swear by Bridgestone Potenzas. I'd describe them maybe a notch below the Goodyear decription above. I drive hard, corners and straights. Just ask Bobby.

I pull 1.91-1.98 on the strip with them at 26lbs.
Old 06-15-2005, 05:24 PM
TECH Junkie

HMM I never let a tire place jack my car up just because my cars have always been so low and I don't trust them. I always take the wheels off and take them down in the truck or the camaro. I am probably going to wait awhile since I can borrow Vicerals for the track and I have to pay for a wedding and a 2week stay in Mexico. (With the cost of the ring, wedding and honeymoon I could have a bulletproof turbo charged Vette )

You can also get them online for a good price at discount tire and have skips wheel works put them on that place is top notch.
Old 06-15-2005, 05:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 97BlackT\A
America's Tires rock. I won't go elsewhere.

I won't get into tires much because it looks like you guys are talking about spending more $ a tire than I do. Of course, I drive 250 miles a week nearly year round in mine so I go through them fast. Still, I swear by Bridgestone Potenzas. I'd describe them maybe a notch below the Goodyear decription above. I drive hard, corners and straights. Just ask Bobby.

I pull 1.91-1.98 on the strip with them at 26lbs.
Dude you drive hard everywhere, that poor car.

Hey Jeff you need to stop by for a ride I'll remember my wallet this time and buy dinner
Old 06-15-2005, 05:27 PM
TECH Junkie

BTW LS1speed is having a good sale on these now...also that spendy place off macadam has all the bad *** machines and does excellent work. I'd trust them to put them on for me.

If your like me the mixed tires will be fine but that is with my driving habits some guys say it is crazy to run different treads but I've never had a problem with it.
Old 06-15-2005, 05:31 PM
Banned

Yep they're $149/free delivery online. I'll call around and see if anyone can beat that price. m/b at les schwabs isnt that bad. Ok called and balanced it all out. 149 delivered but then 22.50 for m/b or American tire for 170 m/b'ed I save like a buck with them, which is still a buck. If I can find them cheapoer than 149 delivered he'll beat it by 10. hahaha.. guess I'll order from them but they wont be here for the track on friday, nor would they be from anywhere else unless I pay shipping. Guess I'll burn up the GY's fri night, if I can get out.

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 06-15-2005 at 06:08 PM.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:40 PM
Loves to change spark plugs

Dude you drive hard everywhere, that poor car.

Hey Jeff you need to stop by for a ride I'll remember my wallet this time and buy dinner
Hey, it's worth buying dinner just to get to ride in the vette!!!

The T/A is looking rather ragged, so don't be shocked. Still have SES problems and that damn dent (State Farm is suing the guy) that sucked the life out of me for it this spring. I REALLY need to get with it, but all I can afford is elbow grease and I'm too lazy to spend it! Notice i never call you doughnut - at leasst you're working on your cars.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Who is m/b's??
Old 06-16-2005, 12:23 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would just like to toss in just how impressed I Have been with my Nitto 555RIIs!

From drifting and hard cornering(beyound what "I" thought was afe) to 1.8 60Fts in Steph's 13.00 Sec car I would have to say they rock!

I plan on using them as my Street tire on the blue car. 305/35-18s rear and 275/40-17s on the front

Quick Reply: Best street tire?