Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Weight Reduction

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 05:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weight Reduction

Looking to do some weight reduction in my car. What are some of the "big" Things to start out getting out of the car?
Old 07-03-2005, 05:51 PM
Banned

jack and spare (40 lbs)

front bumper support (15 lbs),

windshield washer resevoir (if full 5 lbs)

a/c (40+ lbs)

rear seats (29 lbs)

airbags and brackets (5 lbs for driver, 13.5 for passenger)

ABS and bracket(10 lbs)

dump your exhaust and no cats will save a good amount (15lbs)

headers will save some weight (10 lbs)

tubular k-member (35 lbs)

lightweight battery (assuming you don't have a huge stereo 28 lbs)

Weld draglites and skinnies up front (55 lbs)

and here is the rest https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-racing-tech/17319-weight-reduction-list.html

Nate
Old 07-03-2005, 05:56 PM
11 Second Club

If i took out the a/c wouldn't I have to get a different timing belt?? Not too sure about that one.

Where is the front bumper support?

Tubuluar K-member?

Damn i feel like an idiot I do not know where this stuff is.
Old 07-03-2005, 06:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not stay comfortable and make more HP?

Stripped cars lose their appeal rather quickly. Ask around a lot of us know this first hand!
Old 07-03-2005, 06:14 PM
11 Second Club

True story, A/C doesnt work anyways for me though. And I am not really trying to make any heads turn with my car lol.
Old 07-03-2005, 07:57 PM
Banned

ac on an lt1...is it all one serpentine belt or is there another belt for your a/c? that's how the ls1's are setup. you can remove the a/c and just pull off the belt.

I never used my a/c up here anyways and took it out. I have taken out a lot of weight and you really can't notice. I have a full interior minus rear seats and i can put them back in very easy, maybe about 15 minutes worth of work.

How about locating your battery to the rear? that will help with weight transfer...

or just make more horsepower.

Nate
Old 07-03-2005, 10:10 PM
11 Second Club

What all is needed to transfer your battery to the rear? My front bettery support is gone anyways. Let me know please.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:22 PM
11 Second Club

UPDATE: Went ahead and pulled out my back seats. AND since I am the only one to ever ride in my car, ever, Decided to pull out my front passenger seat also just to see if my ET's would bump down a little bit we'll see. Pulled out about 100 lb's Approximatelly.

Timing Belt is one big belt, Would have to talk to Ellis about pulling a/c out hmmm.

Looking to transfer battery to rear. Let me know buddy.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:29 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by strobelite
UPDATE: Went ahead and pulled out my back seats. AND since I am the only one to ever ride in my car, ever, Decided to pull out my front passenger seat also just to see if my ET's would bump down a little bit we'll see. Pulled out about 100 lb's Approximatelly.

Timing Belt is one big belt, Would have to talk to Ellis about pulling a/c out hmmm.

Here is the difinitive F-body weight reduction list as posted in the drag racing section. Some will not apply to an LT1 car but you get the idea!! https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ight+reduction

Also, GM makes a 1LE A/C delete pulley for an LT1 Fbody. It just bolts in place of the compressor unit and I believe uses the same belt as stock.

Mike
Old 07-04-2005, 12:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Mikey 97Z M6
Here is the difinitive F-body weight reduction list as posted in the drag racing section. Some will not apply to an LT1 car but you get the idea!! https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ight+reduction

Also, GM makes a 1LE A/C delete pulley for an LT1 Fbody. It just bolts in place of the compressor unit and I believe uses the same belt as stock.

Mike
Speaking strictly as a VERY part-time racer.....there is NO WAY I would do most of the things on that list........I like to drive my car and one of the reasons I bought it was for the creature comforts....A/C, seats, carpet, etc.

Good stuff if your car is a 100% race-only vehicle I imagine.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by strobelite

Also look into little stuff too like removing the front sway bar on track days, that will help a lot with weight transfer...same thing with the battery. I suggest you hang out in the drag racing tech forum here. It will give you plenty of good ideas without totally destroying the integrity of your car.

If you ever plan on selling your car then i'd say don't do it, but if you plan on keeping your car as a toy then it's yours to do what you please.

Some guys like to go fast and be 100% comfortable. Hell im comfortable driving with solid motor mounts, big cam, no a/c, and dumps and a locker soon to come. It's all about what you can take.

But if you don't plan on going to the track quite a bit i say leave a lot of the stuff in and just work on weight transfer and weight off the nose.

Nate
Old 07-06-2005, 04:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CHarris
Why not stay comfortable and make more HP?

Stripped cars lose their appeal rather quickly. Ask around a lot of us know this first hand!
Not true.

I love my striped out 10 second race car

Quick Reply: Weight Reduction