Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

HP Tuner Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 10:12 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HP Tuner Upgrade?

Hey Bill (& Ellis),

I emailed Keith @ HPT to see whether I should add 2 bar to Bills wideband software, or to mine. It seems rather involved. I asked again what it would cost to upgrade mine, thinking I don't want to have Bills cable for the possible month(s) of tuning. Anyway this is what he said :

> It's really your call. You will need to purchase a 2bar MAP sensor from GM.

> It does make tuning over 6lbs of boost a lot easier. In my oppinion it makes the whole tune much easier because you will use the VE table instead of the MAF table.

> 2bar Speed Density Ordering:

> 99+ V8 Vehicles Only

> Single vehicle license is $299 per vehicle.

> Unlimited LS1 car costs $2999.

> All single vehicle license orders will be required to submit a vehicle binary to HP Tuners before the feature will be licensed for each particular vehicle. It is a software upgrade only, no need to return cables etc.

> There is no limit as to how many single vehicle licenses you can purchase.

Seems odd that it costs another $300 for software + a $200 MAP sensor to tune each car for boost!
Old 07-06-2005, 11:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess I'm still a little confused. It sounds like you could upgrade either mine or yours for the same price. The only differance as I understand it would be that with mine you'd have the wideband capabilities "built in" so when you were logging runs you'd have have those readings side by side with the others in the log for easier tuning. On your's you'd have to somehow syncronize the LM1 display readings with the HPtuner logs to figure out where the a/f was across the board ?? I might not fully understand it though ? You're still more than welcome to use mine if you'd like. I've owned it for 3 months and so far have done about 1/2 day of tuning I don't think you having it for a while would cramp my style . Your call
Old 07-06-2005, 11:19 AM
10 Second Club

I think you are crystal on this....at least that is how I see it too. I'm just waiting for the E I/O upgrade price to decide how much I want to inconvenience you.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:35 AM
Tech Addict

I have EIO on mine.

And it's my understanding we can hook up and read, log, etc....any year from 99-02, but can only edit/change the years included in your interface.

Am I wrong on this?
Old 07-06-2005, 01:08 PM
10 Second Club

Predators work that way. But I thought the act of connecting to the PCM was what the HPT cable controlled, meaning you can only log/read/write cars of the years you paid for. Not sure I've tried it.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
Hey Bill (& Ellis),

I emailed Keith @ HPT to see whether I should add 2 bar to Bills wideband software, or to mine. It seems rather involved. I asked again what it would cost to upgrade mine, thinking I don't want to have Bills cable for the possible month(s) of tuning. Anyway this is what he said :

> It's really your call. You will need to purchase a 2bar MAP sensor from GM.

> It does make tuning over 6lbs of boost a lot easier. In my oppinion it makes the whole tune much easier because you will use the VE table instead of the MAF table.

> 2bar Speed Density Ordering:

> 99+ V8 Vehicles Only

> Single vehicle license is $299 per vehicle.

> Unlimited LS1 car costs $2999.

> All single vehicle license orders will be required to submit a vehicle binary to HP Tuners before the feature will be licensed for each particular vehicle. It is a software upgrade only, no need to return cables etc.

> There is no limit as to how many single vehicle licenses you can purchase.

Seems odd that it costs another $300 for software + a $200 MAP sensor to tune each car for boost!

Why not just go with megasquirt??? That seems to be the best bang for the buck when running speed density up to 2 bar. Ryan K is running that setup and im sure he can chime in.

Nate
Old 07-07-2005, 07:56 AM
10 Second Club

Keith tells me it costs $150 to upgrade my HPT to E I/O, so I may very well do that. And from what I can tell now, there is a 2 bar sensor that works on our cars that costs ~$50. So it will run about $500 total for this upgrade.

As for Megasquirt, I know nothing about it. I do however own & like HP Tuner.

Quick Reply: HP Tuner Upgrade?