Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Rear Mounted turbo...

Old 07-12-2005, 08:50 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Mounted turbo...

Have you have guys heard anything good/bad about this setup?? http://thunderracing.com/catalog/?ac...vid=4&pcid=259 Been looking at it for a while now Just wondering what you guys heard. Let me know.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:20 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by strobelite
Have you have guys heard anything good/bad about this setup?? http://thunderracing.com/catalog/?ac...vid=4&pcid=259 Been looking at it for a while now Just wondering what you guys heard. Let me know.
They work very well. I seen and drove one at SEMA last year that was installed on a 01 LS1 TA. Contrary to belief I experienced no turbo lag when I drove the car. Performance was very good as well. STS told me that their test mule layed down over 400 RWHP on a DynoJet chassis dyno on a very modest 5 PSI of boost.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:24 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There's a guy on my board that goes by the name of "seal" that has one on his LT1 T/A. I was checking it out when I was in Atlanta, that car hauled ***. He might be a good person to talk to if you wanna get some first hand info on them.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:46 AM
TECH Regular

i'm considering an STS kit for the GTO later this year (after release)

only bad thing i've heard is clearance issues.. but blah, who cares.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:47 AM
10 Second Club

So much for the suspension upgrades.

I've heard good things about them. The lag tjwong talks about from pressurizing all that pipe running to the rear end & back to the motor is the only concern, and it sounds like that's not an issue.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:23 AM
Pathological Modifier

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://turbotechnologyinc.com/ls1.htm
http://turbotechnologyinc.com/camaro...er_systems.htm
Turbo Technologies Inc.
Tacoma, WA

Local and its a hell of a lot better setup. The pump that STS uses to move the oil back to the oil pan will be a thorn in your *** everytime it fails.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im thinking to get this turbo too, since it looks lot easier than other setups
Old 07-12-2005, 09:09 PM
Pathological Modifier

Easier doesn't = Better.

You get the gutter sucker, lets race.

Ryan
Old 07-12-2005, 09:17 PM
11 Second Club

I am seriously thinking about it, Just do not want to pay a shop 78 bux an hour to install it
Old 07-12-2005, 09:29 PM
TECH Addict

The way I understand it they are a piece of cake to install. I've also heard of some very good #'s out of them. I was thinking pretty seriously about it since it actually improves the front/rear weight bias in our cars instead of making an already front heavy car even worse. Unfortunately I've found that they hang pretty low and my car is slammed so it wouldn't be a good match. It's either not even ground clearance or too much front end weight added if I want forced induction Maybe a '06 Z06 cammed 427 is my best bet
Old 07-12-2005, 09:30 PM
11 Second Club

Hell Yeah, Do It!
Old 07-12-2005, 09:41 PM
On The Tree

Not a big fan of rear mount turbo's. Front mount would be the way to go!
Old 07-12-2005, 10:35 PM
TECH Resident

Which kit did you do with Rick?
Old 07-12-2005, 10:52 PM
On The Tree

I have a front mount kit by Phamspeed. Couldn't be happier!
Old 07-12-2005, 11:03 PM
TECH Addict

The fact is that both methods have their good points AND their bad. Technically speaking the front mounted are better at producing hp, quicker to spool,easier to plumb oil drain back etc. They also make a mess of your engine compartment, add weight up front to an already front heavy car + alot of this weight is mounted high where it'll do the most harm, they create ALOT of heat in the engine compartment etc.

The rear mounts are better for weight distribution, they allow you to keep all accessory's in the original positions without cluttering up the engine bay, they're easier to install etc. but they can have oil drain back issues, they're mounted very low and can be damaged if not careful, they tend to spool a little more slowly etc.

Either kit can produce 500+ rwhp so either one can work very well. It would be nice to have one in the club so we all could check it out
Old 07-12-2005, 11:28 PM
TECH Addict

Theres no doubt that the STS makes good power. The problems are that a few guys have ingested water (they were typically stupid mistakes in very wet environments like Florida) and more importantly the oil pump system sucks ***.

With the oil system they use you will not be able to trust your car to be reliable. If it were me I wouldn't plan on driving more than an hour or two in any direction unless you carry a spare oil pump.

Have you noticed they sold a lot of units but you always see a few guys selling them for no apparent reason? Something is wrong with that system and its the reliability. Not to mention its not a complete deal either. You have to do several add ons if you intend to make power.

Do what you wish but don't be surprised when some of us say "we told you so" because you were warned
Old 07-13-2005, 04:04 AM
11 Second Club

Here this will help your decision.....

I used to have a turbo on a 5 liter years ago with a oil pump for oil system, between turbo and oil pan...Went out several times including the first time in BFE, beteen Grants Pass OR and the coast. Lets see....put vise grip on inlet turbo fins, and one blocking off oil to turbo hose...go really low rpm........That would be a total of Two pumps and three slingers later, I sold to a guy only using for the drag strip and he knew the issues if trying to ever use on the street....Weedo (in truck section) lost his oil pump (STS type), 3 times I believe, and claimed he was just selling his truck to buy another truck....whatttttt... Good luck....you'll need it.....

Jimbob

Last edited by jimbob; 07-13-2005 at 04:10 AM.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:29 AM
11 Second Club

Interesting! Supercharger it is

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear Mounted turbo...