Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Gotta vent...

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 04:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gotta vent...

Okay... after I said that I wasn't going to do any car shows this weekend, I got cornered into doing a show on Saturday as a favor for a friend who knew the guys putting on the show and were afraid that it would have a very low trunout. So, I drug my *** out of bed Saturday AM at 0DARK30 and head on up to the show. I should have slept in, because by the time I got there, there was all of 5 cars there, and registration had been open for about a half and hour. Kinda gives you an idea on how big this show turned out to be (25 cars total). So, I am there for about and hour and a half and then this guy shows up with his '94 GMC truck with paint peeling off, window tint bubbling, dents up and down the bedside (the damn thing wasn't even washed!) and decides to enter into the show. Well, there was not Truck catagory, so he decides to enter it into my class. Five minutes later, another guy shows up with a '87 Mustang that was at least wahsed, but the only shinny thing on it was the brand new tips he put on the muffler (this one was in even worse shape than the truck!). Guess which class he goes in???
So, I have one other nice ride entered into my class ('95 'Vette), along with these two POS trailer trash mullet rides. The guys with the 'Stang and with the truck both decide to call up everyone they know and have them come down and vote for them (it was a participant and spectator judged show). Then the guy with the truck takes all the stuff he wins in the raffle and starts to bribe people for votes with it, while the guy in the 'Stang goes around and tells anyone who will listen how my ride and the 'Vette both suck (I know this because the dude started talking crap about my car to me because he didn't realize that it was my ride). Meanwhile, I experienced the only time I didn't get a vote because of race at a car show (some lady didn't vote for my car because I was white).
Yeah, I managed to win at the show, despite all the crap, but I have to say it was the absolute WORST experience I have ever had at a car show in my life!!! I was so ready to go bitch-slap my friend for even suggesting going to the show (he owes me HUGE!!!!), and I'll never do that again! I won't say where the show was at, because it was connected to a business and they, at least, were pretty good people, just clueless to what was going on at the show. But, I doubt that they will do another show after this, so no worries about someone getting roped into it next year.
Just needed to get it off my chest...
Old 07-25-2005, 05:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just dont do shows anymore for alot of reasons.
1) My car isnt pretty enough
2) **** like this or PSP
3) To many people asking me why I would chop a car up like that.

EDIT: oh yeah, it hasnt run in over a year either.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:53 PM
10 Second Club

Car shows can suck BIG time, or be a lot of fun. It's really a roll of the dice. But I must admit I have never been at any show like that. You sir are an oak!!!
Old 07-25-2005, 07:23 PM
11 Second Club

I think alot of it has to do with the people you are at the show with. I personally enjoy spending time with all you guys and looking at all the nice cars. It is nice to win but it is not the most important thing.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:19 PM
12 Second Club

All car shows should be held in downtown Kirkland on hot days.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:03 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Steve Goodwin
All car shows should be held in downtown Kirkland on hot days.
You are BAD! I like the idea....
Old 07-25-2005, 09:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by MrPongoSS
Okay... after I said that I wasn't going to do any car shows this weekend, I got cornered into doing a show on Saturday as a favor for a friend who knew the guys putting on the show and were afraid that it would have a very low trunout.
Dude, you do a lot of favors for friends.

You get the "Volunteer Of The Year" award.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I really didn't have any idea what I was getting into with this show at all. All I got was that the show was going to be at this place and it should be pretty chill, blah, blah, blah. I figured I would roll out, chill, and if it was really lame, I would leave after a while, but I was blocked in for the entire show and had to wait until it was done. Also, not having a big head about my ride and all, but I have to say that my car was nicer than 90% of the cars there, if that says anything about the types of cars that showed up. I have never been to a show where I was checking my watch every five minutes to see if it was time to leave. Yeah, I won at that show, but sometimes it don't make the show any better. I have been to a few shows this year that have been bad, but nothing on this level. I kinda feel bad saying this, because like I said eariler, the business that put on the show were very nice and friendly, but just didn't have a clue about running a car show. And, it wasn't entirely their fault either that some of the participants and a few of the spectators ruined the show for me and a few others either. All I could say was that I should have said no to my friend, slept in that morning, and went cruising that day.
I agree with Doug... it is nice to win, but the most important thing that you enjoyed yourself at a show. I have been to a lot of shows this year that I didn't even win a raffle prize, but had a great time. That is what counts the most in my book!
Old 07-26-2005, 06:39 PM
Staging Lane

I should have shown up. my peeling yellow paint. but hey i could blame it on the $3k sound system right
Old 07-27-2005, 12:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by REDLINE98
I should have shown up. my peeling yellow paint. but hey i could blame it on the $3k sound system right
Your ride would have been like a gold-plated Ferrari compaired to those rides, Wallace!
Old 07-27-2005, 02:21 AM
Staging Lane

gold plated you say, hmm that gives me a Idea lol. I got something up my sleve for ya, just you wait and see. I've got about 30g's burning a hole in my pocket. lol I'm going to try to set some aside but I got this feeling since today is my 20th b-day I might go buy something.

cars i've owned to date. 1998 Camaro z28- 15 1/2
1982 corvette- (sold)17
1986 Chevy 1500- work truck 18
2002 Stage 2 roush mustang 1 of 49, (sold) 19
And tomorrow is my b-day what to buy next !!!
Old 07-27-2005, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

gold plated you say, hmm that gives me a Idea lol. I got something up my sleve for ya, just you wait and see. I've got about 30g's burning a hole in my pocket. lol I'm going to try to set some aside but I got this feeling since today is my 20th b-day I might go buy something.

1982 corvette- (sold)17

Happy Birthday!!
Old 07-27-2005, 08:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MrPongoSS
Okay... after I said that I wasn't going to do any car shows this weekend, I got cornered into doing a show on Saturday as a favor for a friend who knew the guys putting on the show and were afraid that it would have a very low trunout. So, I drug my *** out of bed Saturday AM at 0DARK30 and head on up to the show. I should have slept in, because by the time I got there, there was all of 5 cars there, and registration had been open for about a half and hour. Kinda gives you an idea on how big this show turned out to be (25 cars total). So, I am there for about and hour and a half and then this guy shows up with his '94 GMC truck with paint peeling off, window tint bubbling, dents up and down the bedside (the damn thing wasn't even washed!) and decides to enter into the show. Well, there was not Truck catagory, so he decides to enter it into my class. Five minutes later, another guy shows up with a '87 Mustang that was at least wahsed, but the only shinny thing on it was the brand new tips he put on the muffler (this one was in even worse shape than the truck!). Guess which class he goes in???
So, I have one other nice ride entered into my class ('95 'Vette), along with these two POS trailer trash mullet rides. The guys with the 'Stang and with the truck both decide to call up everyone they know and have them come down and vote for them (it was a participant and spectator judged show). Then the guy with the truck takes all the stuff he wins in the raffle and starts to bribe people for votes with it, while the guy in the 'Stang goes around and tells anyone who will listen how my ride and the 'Vette both suck (I know this because the dude started talking crap about my car to me because he didn't realize that it was my ride). Meanwhile, I experienced the only time I didn't get a vote because of race at a car show (some lady didn't vote for my car because I was white).
Yeah, I managed to win at the show, despite all the crap, but I have to say it was the absolute WORST experience I have ever had at a car show in my life!!! I was so ready to go bitch-slap my friend for even suggesting going to the show (he owes me HUGE!!!!), and I'll never do that again! I won't say where the show was at, because it was connected to a business and they, at least, were pretty good people, just clueless to what was going on at the show. But, I doubt that they will do another show after this, so no worries about someone getting roped into it next year.
Just needed to get it off my chest...

Sorry you had to go through all of that...but Congrats on Winning!
Old 07-27-2005, 03:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks, Z! Thing is that sometimes it still doesn't make up for the crap at the shows. We all have our Puppet Show Pete stories and I am sure that there are more than a few of us that have done shows that knows of someone or a few people that can ruin it for you. So far, the bad shows have been outweighted by the good shows this year for me, but it just takes one to think about saying screw it for the rest of the year and packing it in. Also, most of your guys' rides here are enough to discourage me from going to shows too, because they are all soooo SWEET and I know I don't have a chance in HELL with you guys sporting the nice rides!!
Old 07-27-2005, 04:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

As long as the WALLACE goes back on, it is all good!

1982 corvette- (sold)17
Old 07-27-2005, 06:39 PM
Staging Lane

I'm thinkin about it. I show you the real reason why I put that on my car once i find the photo. My b-day has been killer so far, no work tomorrow, going to the beach friday. Then got my some safeco feild box tickets in the chevron booth.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm thinkin about it. I show you the real reason why I put that on my car once i find the photo. My b-day has been killer so far, no work tomorrow, going to the beach friday. Then got my some safeco feild box tickets in the cheveron booth.
Gotta do it, Wallace! That is what made that car stand out. So what if not too many people liked it... it is all about what you want to do with your ride!
Old 07-27-2005, 07:06 PM
Staging Lane

I'm sure it will get back on the car somewhere. I kind of want to get into drifting looks like it would be alot of fun, but i dont want to get flamed for it lol. I could drift the camaro it looks like it should

here's my reason

Last edited by REDLINE98; 07-27-2005 at 10:11 PM.