Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Help me out... car won't start...

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 06:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me out... car won't start...

I did a bunch-o-mods, the only ones that really matter are the 60lb injectors and I changed the spark plugs to TR-6s. But here is my problem, it won't start. It smells horribly of gas and I shocked myself good checking for spark. I changed my fuel injectors in the PCM for the larger injectors. The only way I can get it to kinda fire is to pull out the IGN PCM fuse turn it over for awhile, then put it back in. Then it will run for a few seconds and die. Doesn't make any difference if I floor it or anything, it just dies... it has lots of fuel and really stinks like fuel, too.

Anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this?
Old 07-27-2005, 07:02 PM
10 Second Club

Well, thinking back to all the things we screwed up, coil pack unplugged? Map sensor knocked out of the back of the intake? MAF not plugged in? EGR tube seal inot the TB buggered? Hey wait, 60lb injectors?! Did you do what I think you did? Anyway, if not, they are probably just TOO BIG for your stock setup. Put the 28s back in & wait for the turbo....
Old 07-27-2005, 07:08 PM
TECH Resident

LOL, yes, Mark, I did what you thought I did. I wouldn't install 60's w/o some sort of extra HP I will go check on the things you suggested. Ones I know: MAF is plugged in and EGR wasn't touched, but I'll go check the others.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Amorget
LOL, yes, Mark, I did what you thought I did. I wouldn't install 60's w/o some sort of extra HP I will go check on the things you suggested. Ones I know: MAF is plugged in and EGR wasn't touched, but I'll go check the others.
I just PM'd you
Old 07-27-2005, 07:19 PM
11 Second Club

60 lb. Injectors or WAY to big for stock setup.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:21 PM
TECH Resident

I checked
coil pack plugs: both are plugged in w/ their safetly latches installed.
MAP: plugged in and the line running from the back of the intake to it was there... I used the other line coming off that used to go to the AIR pump for my BOV.
Is there some sort of fuel at startup that may be getting completely buggered? I used the injector spreadsheet for my injectors and I would think it is close enough, though I think I found a huge puddle of gas in my downpipe...
Old 07-27-2005, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Amorget
I checked
coil pack plugs: both are plugged in w/ their safetly latches installed.
MAP: plugged in and the line running from the back of the intake to it was there... I used the other line coming off that used to go to the AIR pump for my BOV.
Is there some sort of fuel at startup that may be getting completely buggered? I used the injector spreadsheet for my injectors and I would think it is close enough, though I think I found a huge puddle of gas in my downpipe...
Maybe try changing back to the Stock Injectors to see if thats the problem? Can you do that?
Old 07-27-2005, 07:40 PM
11 Second Club

I know with my car, (Lt1 based motor) Upon start up if you press the petal all the way to the floor it cuts off all fuel to teh motor. Sometimes I have to do it with my car, Might wanna try that It has saved me many of times. BUT If you are already at the stage in your car your plugs might already be too fouled to spark so might have to change out your plugs. Let us know
Old 07-27-2005, 08:15 PM
11 Second Club

STOPPPPPPPPP...........................

It took me and Cory god knows how many hours (20, 25 maybe) of tuning to get his to work in his Hummer, and we have years of tuning experiance. In some vehicles with stock cams and smaller cubes it may never idle....You have to have over 1.5 millisec pulse widths to even get those to stop puddling and idle . For reference Cory's is H2 with Blower with smallist pulley available (highest boost) exhaust, cam and it only idles at 1.9 to 2 millisec. With no blower on their, it would not pull enough air and FUEL to idle...period...

Jimbob
Old 07-27-2005, 08:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Doug. Jim and Cory are going to be your biggest help here. They just did a set.

I have NO F,n Idea how the 4.6 guys are using them! Then again they do not use our PCM either

I would swap the old injectors in and do some base tuning. to get in the ball park.

BTW those injectors are around 69-70Lph on a GEN III (LS1) car! Some thing a boosted 400Ci car could handle
Old 07-27-2005, 08:55 PM
TECH Resident

Well... crap then. I guess the stock injectors go back in and I stay out of boost.... what the heck can I do then? Sell the 60s and buy 42s?
Old 07-27-2005, 09:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess you'll have to pull them out and go back to stock injectors. If you won't level on what you did to the car there is no way any of us could help you figure out what to do.

I'm pretty sure I did not recommend those 60's to anyone based on the difficulty we had.

If anyone else has any bright ideas about 60's we'll be more than happy to talk you out of them if you take the time to ask...
Old 07-27-2005, 11:15 PM
TECH Resident

Nope, Racetronix recommended the 60s.

Simple, what I did was added a Phamspeed budget kit, plus the fueling stuff to go with it. That means a Racetronix fuel kit (255 pump and hotwire) and the Motron 60s. The turbo is a T-70.

I put the stock injectors back in, we will see what I can do. The part that makes me curious is that another guy had Motron 60s and his car started on the stock tune... while mine won't even start on a modified tune....

Oh, and I did PM you a long time ago about tuning the 60s on Ellis's advice after we talked at PR, but never recieved a response.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:21 PM
10 Second Club

I know a guy with a set of 42s(Same as Ryan I believe) that needs some 60s

Ryan has a T76Qtrim , I think
Old 07-27-2005, 11:41 PM
On The Tree

What kind of fuel pressure are you running?
What kind of fuel pressure is normal for the new injectors?

My transplanted LS1 wouldn't start at all when running more than
the 55 lbs it runs now.

It would just crank. Even though there was spark and signal going
to the injectors. Didn't even try.
Installed a regulator and set it for 55 lbs and that's the last problem I
had.

Hope thats it.....

Dogtag
Old 07-27-2005, 11:50 PM
TECH Resident

Ellis... if that would be a swap that could happen soon I would trade straight across, if that was acceptable to him If Ryan happens to read this thread maybe he would let me know what injectors he is running because he is making plenty of power for my needs.

Dogtag, I am running stock pressure... well, maybe even higher due to the Walbro 255.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:57 PM
10 Second Club

Doug I Know Mark had the injectors in his hand this week We were talking about trading some one as he needs more 402Ci and 8Psi

Shoot Wahusker a PM. He is very close to you and may trade tomorrow!
Old 07-28-2005, 10:13 AM
10 Second Club

Doug,

I pm'd you. I am heading up to o'Canada right now. I will throw the 42s in my car. Call my cell if you want to swap. 424-501-4305 I hope with Ellis's help (& maybe Jimbob & Cory if I buy beer & pizza) I can get the 60s to work on my new setup. The website I use to calculate such things says I'll be needing them.

http://www.rceng.com/technical.htm

Mark

PS Our stock fuel pressure is ~ 58 psi

Quick Reply: Help me out... car won't start...