Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Great day to tune a car

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 01:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great day to tune a car

Today was the day I finally got to hook up with Ellis and Jim and get some serious tuning done. Earlier in the day I also tinkered around and removed the spoiler. The clean rear end is growing on me.

So, when I finally get to Ellis' place he gets down to business. He's got a great little circuit for tuning. No problem getting some 3rd gear WOT runs. Although the last time we did the circuit Mr. Police officer was right there...so we waited until we were out of sight before planting it.

I'm no car expert, but I could definitely tell with each round of adjustments things got better. The idle cleaned up a good bit. The WOT runs pulled harder and longer. All went well.

Oh, and to top it all off, I smoked an older Mustang GT on the way home.

I can't wait to get it to a dyno and find out just how many ponies I've got now.

BTW, Ellis, it just dawned on me I have a previous commitment next Tuesday(16th), so could we do it the check on Wednesday(17th) instead?
Old 08-10-2005, 07:55 AM
10 Second Club

Cool, I figured there was a lot more in theses cars than the stock tune lets out. I'm going to take our Goat over for a Speed Secrets special soon. Mine should run a lot better after the Groo-master has his way with it. The Torque Management on these A4s is MUCH worse than what is on the F-bodies.

Nice picture in your sig BTW!!! Fuggin Hilarious.....
Old 08-10-2005, 08:21 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad you are happy with it man! Yeah I think we found the power you are looking for At least the numbers say we did You have a very nice car BTW I really liked the wheels

For all of you thinking about a hand held tunner for your LS1 ,STOP! I have yet to look at one in our area that did not run the car so lean the spark plugs looked like a snow storm!

Enjoy Crisisman! Next Wednesday if fine BTW
Old 08-10-2005, 10:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
For all of you thinking about a hand held tunner for your LS1 ,STOP! I have yet to look at one in our area that did not run the car so lean the spark plugs looked like a snow storm!
Except mine that is... Mine tend to look more like they were rubbed in the black stuff caked on the inside of a fireplace.

But then again, mine's a custom tune on my Predator, not the stock canned tune. As I recall, the stock canned tune did lean my car out quite a bit when I first got it a few years ago.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Update: Went down to the TNT at PR today and ran a half-dozen to see what might be different. The answer...not much. My best time was 14.16@99.85 with a 60' of 2.21. I just couldn't get good launches for anything. I even noticed that launching got harder when I dropped my tire pressure. My best run was at 34psi(my normal street pressure). When we're completely finished playing with the tune I'll lose some extra weight and make one last try at 13 before the season is over.

Jake (Stobelite) was there as well. He mentioned he pulled a new best, so at least someone has good news.

Also, there was an SRT-8 there today. Those are supposed to run 13.3 stock, but he was only getting 13.8-13.9. Nice to see one in action.

Last edited by Crisisman; 08-11-2005 at 03:53 AM.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:17 PM
TECH Addict

SRT-8? Is that the new Charger or something?
Old 08-10-2005, 09:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Poik
SRT-8? Is that the new Charger or something?
It was a Chrysler 300 SRT-8, but there is a Charger SRT-8 as well. Basically the same car w/different body panels.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:58 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Crisisman
Update: Went down to the TNT at PR today and ran a half-dozen to see what might be different. The answer...not much. My best time was 14.16@99.85 with a 60' of 2.21. I just couldn't get good launches for anything. I even noticed that launching got harder when I dropped my tire pressure. My best run was at 34psi(my normal street pressure). When we're completely finished playing with the tune I'll lose some extra weight and make one last try at 13 before the season is over.

Jake (Stobelite) was there as well. He mentioned he pulled a new best, so at least someone has good news.

Also, there was an SRT-8 there today. Those are supposed to run 13.3 stock, but he was only getting 13.8-13.9. Nice to see one in action.

What are your 60 ft times be fore and new average? Hard to tell much with a 2.2 60ft
Old 08-13-2005, 02:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What are your 60 ft times be fore and new average? Hard to tell much with a 2.2 60ft
On these tires I averaged 2.2 before, with a good run being 2.15. On this day I averaged 2.3 with the best being 2.21, so it was about 1/10th off at the line.

The easiest way to get me 13 would be to borrow someone's drag radials for a day.
Old 08-13-2005, 02:11 AM
10 Second Club

I do not think F-body wheels will fit but you are welcome to try It is definately where your time is at. you should hit a 1.9 or so easy if not more. every tenth at the line can be two at the other end...food for thought.

Looks like we gave you more power for your smoke emmiters(rear tires)
Old 08-13-2005, 02:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I do not think F-body wheels will fit but you are welcome to try It is definately where your time is at. you should hit a 1.9 or so easy if not more. every tenth at the line can be two at the other end...food for thought.

Looks like we gave you more power for your smoke emmiters(rear tires)
There is a .65mm difference in bolt pattern. A few guys on ls1gto have said they run the f-bod/vette wheels and just make sure they are torqued really well. I would be hesitant to try.
Old 08-13-2005, 10:39 AM
10 Second Club

I tell you what

you still got your stock wheels right? Go order a set of Nitto 555DRs or RIIs to put on two of them....It will give a much better increase then a ASP Pully
Old 08-13-2005, 11:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've been thinking about doing exactly that.

Quick Reply: Great day to tune a car