Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Good and bad news.........

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 04:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Good and bad news.........

I got my rear end today and my car should be out of the shop tommorrow which means I'll have my car by friday...............But apparently there is a break-in period for the rear-end. I haven't read what exactly what it is, but I'll know when I get it back tommorrow. I really wanted to hit the track one more time and break through my 12.69 wall. Better safe than sorry I guess.

However................after 3 very long months, I have a Mcleod twin disk w/ adjustable master, Carbon Fiber driveshaft w/ one aluminum coupler and one rubber coupler, DTE stage III rear differential w/ 3:90 gears, and some LG pro long tube headers without cats (sitting in the garage). ........But most importantly, I have my baby back.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:56 PM
TECH Veteran

I don't know what rear end you got, but the break in period for my buddy's Strange 12 bolt was 500 miles+. Same for my rebuilt 10 bolt.

And the break in for the 12 bolt was VERY specific as far as how you drove it, length of time, speeds, temps, etc. he had to swap out the fluid numerous times in that 500 mile period at specific intervals and he was glad he did cuz the rear end was a POS and he had it completely redone, under warranty.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:21 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rottluver
I don't know what rear end you got, but the break in period for my buddy's Strange 12 bolt was 500 miles+. Same for my rebuilt 10 bolt.

And the break in for the 12 bolt was VERY specific as far as how you drove it, length of time, speeds, temps, etc. he had to swap out the fluid numerous times in that 500 mile period at specific intervals and he was glad he did cuz the rear end was a POS and he had it completely redone, under warranty.
I hope I don't have that much to deal with..............
Old 09-28-2005, 07:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 00Vette
I hope I don't have that much to deal with..............
So what kind of rear end is it?
Old 09-28-2005, 08:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I got my billingsly 9 in I drove it around the block twice to make shure evrything was right and then straight to the track for about 15 shakedown runs, probely had it in the car about a year and still don't have 500 miles on it But then again if yours sees alot of street duty I would break it in like they recomend, but I don' think a few launches would hurt it to bad
Old 09-28-2005, 08:47 PM
10 Second Club

So what kind of rear end is it?
Its built by DTE and is a stage III rear differential. I bought it from LG motorsports. Both output shafts are hardened, the ring and pinion gears are hardened, etc. etc. blah blah blah.........

If you go to there website and look up the DTE C5 rear diffs, it lists all the crap they did to it, way too much for me too list. They basically take a factory core rear diff. and have DTE build them up for LG to sell.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Its built by DTE and is a stage III rear differential. I bought it from LG motorsports. Both output shafts are hardened, the ring and pinion gears are hardened, etc. etc. blah blah blah.........

If you go to there website and look up the DTE C5 rear diffs, it lists all the crap they did to it, way too much for me too list. They basically take a factory core rear diff. and have DTE build them up for LG to sell.
Yeah, I don't know about Vette stuff, but like it was said earlier, if this is a daily driver, or sees any kind of regular street time, I would break it in however the manufacturer says to.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:34 PM
10 Second Club

Yeah, I don't know about Vette stuff, but like it was said earlier, if this is a daily driver, or sees any kind of regular street time, I would break it in however the manufacturer says to.
I'll drive it once a week or so..........but once I get it back, I'm gonna have to get my fix for a while. But after that it'll only see a few miles a week. I do however plan on breaking that rear diff in like its meant to be. I don't want **** breaking again..............
Old 09-29-2005, 01:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll drive it once a week or so..........but once I get it back, I'm gonna have to get my fix for a while. But after that it'll only see a few miles a week. I do however plan on breaking that rear diff in like its meant to be. I don't want **** breaking again..............
You can call DTE directly and talk to them. I have done this and they will give you the scoop on whether to take it to the track. Or, just break it in and head to track Sunday. it may rain anyway. I did that with my clutch, got it back one day, went to track next day and went home on a flat bed. hehehe But they said I could.
Robert

Quick Reply: Good and bad news.........