Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

What's the difference between locked and unlocked #'s for A4?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the difference between locked and unlocked #'s for A4?

Also Ryan or Ellis, which was mine at the dyno day? Locked or Unlocked?

Just wondering, thanks guys. :thumbs:
Old 10-12-2005, 12:01 PM
11 Second Club

Unless you forced a lock via laptop it was probably unlocked, I'm a believer in both graphs. I use lock to see how much the verter loses, once I know it I'll dyno unlocked from them on (real power to the wheels). Also you probably dynoed with your exhaust corked up (no cut out). This will give you maybe 10 more rwhp. To me it's just a dyno trick for higher numbers if you don't usually run that way! You could always put a cut out on that, as long as you have a muffler inline before the cutout (for CCC type events).
Old 10-12-2005, 12:13 PM
Pathological Modifier

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unlocked
Old 10-12-2005, 02:10 PM
10 Second Club

My opinion - this is one of those urban legend things. I see a lot of people claiming their cars made 20 more hp locked. I tried it on a couple cars & saw no difference.

The one thing locking your converter up @ WOT might do is burn it up. That function is meant for improving gas mileage on the highway. (or towing) The lockup clutch ring is pretty small....

I emailed Yank a while back asking the same question & they said what Jimbob & Ryan did....leave it unlocked. Or void their warranty! It's usually only good for 300 or so HP.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

we have actually seen gains locking it up but you need to lock it up at the beggining of the run with the trans locked in third to see the gains. other wise it is a HP killer as the DynoJet is a spin up dyno. You kill power locking it in the middle of a run (IE like Steph's car did on the dyno) and it gives whacked out numbers.

We ran yours unlocked

BTW Racers having been doing this to get better trap speed for years Like 25+ years

Quick Reply: What's the difference between locked and unlocked #'s for A4?