Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

lt header question

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 09:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default lt header question

i was just wondering if there was a way to run lt's with a cat. i have heard you can't. i need my car to be emission legal. if i can't use lt's, then how much less would shorties give me?
Old 10-30-2005, 10:24 PM
TECH Junkie

I made pretty good performance through Macs, but there are longtubes with cats. FLP and I believe Kooks comes to mind first. Don't know about Seattle but in OR an ODB1 car just has to pass a sniffer I had Macs and a Mac cat on mine and it passed fine with a Hot cam, ported heads etc etc.

If you move to Cali its different. Cool thing about OR its once every two years, doing a header swap every too years wouldn't be a big deal if for some reason it didn't pass.
Old 10-30-2005, 10:38 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have some kooks for sale, and yes they do provide a y-pipe with cats in them. You can get the catted y-pipe from Byunspeed.com or from Scroggins Dickey for good price. If you're interested in the headers, they're 1 7/8ths stainless kooks and they are brand new for $780 shipped to you.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:54 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You can not use LTs and Cats to technicly pass emissions. Not on an LT1

I have had extremely good luck with my SLP headers. Jim made over 420RWHP with his
Old 10-31-2005, 01:14 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
You can not use LTs and Cats to technicly pass emissions. Not on an LT1

I have had extremely good luck with my SLP headers. Jim made over 420RWHP with his
because it moves the cat from the factory location. correct?
Old 10-31-2005, 03:26 AM
TECH Resident

ok, yeah, so would i see a good enough power increase with the shorties?
Old 10-31-2005, 03:28 AM
TECH Resident

oh and one more thing i forgot, why can't i use a cat with long tubes? because if it that the stock cat is too long, that is not a problem, i have a magnaflow cat on there which is about 6-8 inches shorter.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:45 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by jewbacca
oh and one more thing i forgot, why can't i use a cat with long tubes? because if it that the stock cat is too long, that is not a problem, i have a magnaflow cat on there which is about 6-8 inches shorter.
You can use cats with long tubes, most problems people have are ground clearance issues, and they're not technically emissions legal even though you're running a cat because it moves the cat away from the factory location.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:15 PM
TECH Veteran

i was just wondering if there was a way to run lt's with a cat. i have heard you can't. i need my car to be emission legal. if i can't use lt's, then how much less would shorties give me?
As a lotta folks have said, moving (and/or replacing**) the factory cats is technically illegal but unless you have to sweat out a California style visual inspection, you are

I have LT's, true dual exhaust and 2 Magnaflow cats and am in no danger in WA of getting in trouble to the best of my knowledge.

** Of course this doesn't apply to malfunctioning cats or if they have more then either 50k or 90k on them......I forget which.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:15 PM
TECH Resident

well lts it is. i will probebly be getting them when my mom sells the house. she said i can have $500 to $1000. i am also wanting to get a tc, cam and new rear end gears, any suggestion on what i should get?
Old 11-01-2005, 09:49 AM
TECH Veteran

well lts it is. i will probebly be getting them when my mom sells the house. she said i can have $500 to $1000. i am also wanting to get a tc, cam and new rear end gears, any suggestion on what i should get?
If you don't have one already, you may want to think about a 12 bolt or 9 inch rear end. The factory 10 bolts don't appreciate spirited driving.

Quick Reply: lt header question