Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Portland/Intel Folks....

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Portland/Intel Folks....

Looks like I may be heading to the Great Pacific Northwest. I have an offer with Intel Corporation in their manufacturing division and I'm pretty sure I'm going to accept it. I was out in Hillsboro last weekend for the interview and it seems like a very nice area except for the traffic.

So, can anyone chime in who lives in that area and/or works at Intel to give me some honest opinions?

Thanks!
Old 11-10-2005, 11:31 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Which location will you be working at? Theres a few members pretty close, but theres a couple locations you could be working at, makes a difference. I'm guessing your looking to rent at first? Traffic is going to be bad (relevant)though I think no matter what your choice but you could lessen it by living in the outer areas. In town is usualy the worst. Someone will chime in and help you out. oh and by the way.hehehe welcome to the pacnw !!
Old 11-10-2005, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think I'll be at the Jones Farm facility. I found several houses for rent in the Aloha/Beaverton area that is fairly close by (~7 miles). I wouldn't mind something out in the country, but I'm not familiar with the area much, so I'm sticking to in town and close to work for now. I need something with a yard for my dog, and preferably a garage.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:34 PM
TECH Regular

if you're in manufacturing, you'll be at Ronler acres.

i'm over in F20.. transferred up here in late March.

still getting used to it.. but not really enjoying it... (the area, that is. Intel is great)
Old 11-10-2005, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nathan
if you're in manufacturing, you'll be at Ronler acres.

i'm over in F20.. transferred up here in late March.

still getting used to it.. but not really enjoying it... (the area, that is. Intel is great)
OK, Guess I go to Jones Farm for the new employee briefings.

Did you come from another Intel facility? What's the downfall of the area? What do you like about Intel?

Thanks all!
Old 11-10-2005, 01:47 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by OBXMarine
OK, Guess I go to Jones Farm for the new employee briefings.

Did you come from another Intel facility? What's the downfall of the area? What do you like about Intel?

Thanks all!
i think your first day (badging, etc) is over at Jones Farm

i did a year over in NM before coming up here (after i finish my year here.. i'll probably transfer back)

people here are different... (IE: tree hugging hippies)
it rains from October-May..
emissions are strict..cops as well..
no sales tax.. but tax on everything else(federal) seems godawfully high

ummm.
when is your start date and what job info did they give you?
Old 11-10-2005, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

i think your first day (badging, etc) is over at Jones Farm

i did a year over in NM before coming up here (after i finish my year here.. i'll probably transfer back)

ummm.
when is your start date and what job info did they give you?
I had the option to interview for a Manufacturing Technician 55 in NM, but decided to start from the bottom up as a 54 in Hillsboro (Slighty better pay premiums that area too when I make it to a 55 )

I'm wondering how I'll adjust to such a liberal area myself. Also worried about emissions, but hoping to get away with a visual and OBD II test in Washington County.

No sales tax is a plus, but I hear Property taxes are outrageous.

I'll be working Shift 6, starting sometime in Mid-December
Old 11-10-2005, 06:33 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Nathan]i think your first day (badging, etc) is over at Jones Farm

[QUOTE]

good assesment, you just need to get away from those types and find your type to hang with. They're there, you just need to find them. Your scaring the guy

As far as the weather it is what it is. If you come from the dry high dessert your going to think it rains all the time in the winter here. Reality is its a mild climate which means no snow usually. Its a trade I'll take. You dont realize how nice it is not to have to deal with it unless you've had to deal with it for 20 years. We get 5 days of rain 2 days of sun 10 days of rain 1 day of sun 1 day of rain then 4 days of sun.... hehehehe... some winters are wetter than others

Cops are what they are. Live in Hilsboro and Beaverton and you'll see a lot of them and yes they enforce the laws.

Property tax depends on where you live, as with any other part of the country. I live in ST Helens and its not as bad as my friend who lives in Hilsboro. The cops out here arent as bad either. Just like anywhere else. Live within city limits and you'll see more of them because they(the city) can afford them. Live in a small town and you only have 2 cop cars because thats all they can afford and you can vote on it as well. Really the area is what you make it. Its all relevant.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL Nathan what did you expect moving to Hillsboro??? Portland area is a cool place, income taxes suck, I'm from Alaska we didn't have income or sales tax **** the state sent ME a check every year for hanging out. Put aside from that Portand is cool if you are laid back, if your looking for heavy clubbing action or a big non import street car scene this isn't it. There are alot of bad *** cars here even in Hillburito but they are usually in garages owned by old dudes.

So yes its a little boring but nothing wrong with that necessarily. If you can find a place at Orenco station I think you'll do alright or back in the Farmington area. Hillsboro has some seedy spots so you have to be careful.

There are a SHITLOAD of cops, I MEAN absolutely RIDICULOUS amount of cops, they aren't that bad as far as attitude but the only thing I ever do wrong is speeding and they always let me go with a warning (except that one speed trap)

In the city of Portland it isn't as saturated but don't talk back to them they are trigger happy...although if I had there job I probably would be too.

Emissions are no big deal with an ODBII car. My 93 with H/C and headers passed the sniffer they don't really do visuals.

Hope that helps...damn how can I get a job at intel. I do work next door... its funny in Timberlines parking lot there are Hondas, Toyotas and a few beemers. In Intels side there's a viper a few vettes, Mecedes etc.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:48 PM
TECH Regular

i didn't really know what to expect before i moved up here..
lived in nevada for 18 years..
then new mexico for another 5..
it was just easier to integrate into albq
(in comparison to here)

the rain break from June-September was pretty nice, but having rain in the forecast everyday now... it's not that great. gets to be depressing with the fog and then rain.
i didn't realize that i would really give much concern to politics in daily life.. but hell.. even at work..i have to overhear republican bashing pretty much non stop.
can't do much for argument, since i'm in the minority here..

cops.. well.. i was pulled over for doing 38mph in a 35mph zone (in my trans am)
and another time for "accelerating too fast" but i wasn't "losing traction or breaking the speed limit"

the car people here in the NW are good people though.
the people you will directly work with at intel... will probably be decent as well

everyone else, you'll just have to sit back and get a feel for.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

the rain break from June-September was pretty nice, but having rain in the forecast everyday now... it's not that great. gets to be depressing with the fog and then rain.
i didn't realize that i would really give much concern to politics in daily life.. but hell.. even at work..i have to overhear republican bashing pretty much non stop.
can't do much for argument, since i'm in the minority here..

cops.. well.. i was pulled over for doing 38mph in a 35mph zone (in my trans am)
and another time for "accelerating too fast" but i wasn't "losing traction or breaking the speed limit"

the car people here in the NW are good people though.
the people you will directly work with at intel... will probably be decent as well

everyone else, you'll just have to sit back and get a feel for.
I'm not too worried about the rain as long as I have a garage.

Fellow Republican here myself, I've been dealing with the Dems here for ages, but not in the workplace...

Everyone agrees that the cops are everywhere, but I'm a good boy, so no worries there. 3 miles over seems a tad harsh , I'm used to 5-10 over without a problem.

Thanks again guys , I'll be heading there in a few weeks.