Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Cable paying for mods?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 03:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cable paying for mods?

Its as strange as the title, just glad the T/A was at Howeirds

We had 5 trees logged out for the shop last week, all lines had to be dropped which is no big deal except the cable guy did the most stupid thing I've ever seen and its going to cost them a fair amount to fix it:

The first guy drops the line from the pole, coils it up and leaves it attached to the house. The second "yeah, he is new" guy runs a whole new line - cept he drilled a 2" eye hook into the truss end of the roof to hook it up.

House construction 101: if the gutters aren't there so they don't get knocked off with falling limbs, wouldn't you notice there is something missing? Gee...then you would think "maybe I shouldn't drill a hole *at the corner of a vented roof cap truss*, splitting the entire truss end to the cap line and look for the original cable 20' to my left...".
I came home and could not believe what the heck I was seeing. Seriously. I was amazed at the inept work this guy did.

Calling cable and telling them this is the *second* time they have screwed up my house (1st time, tried to use a flex drill and missed going at an angle down the other wall) some claims guy came out and saw the handy work of "a new guy". Takes pictures. Writes up what happened, has someone else rehook up the old line (duh) and remove the new one. Said it might be next week before they get back to me and I'll have my roof guy give me a quote since they have to remove the metal panels to work on the roof, oh the fun he's going to have with that one.

Later in the day I had to call my attorney about something else and I mention what happened and he got me laughing: apparently they screwed up his new house installing T1 lines so he called to "settle the issue before it becomes too expensive for them". Dude! I didn't need help on that but uh, if you started at the amount you did and told me the least we will take to not chase em' down??? Whatever, just don't bill me for it!

It only means we won't have to wait as long as we thought to get both LT1's in respectable running order. I'm actually thinking we might have a Christmas afterall

So next time you want your trees dropped and lines too - call the cable company and have em' send the "new guy". He doesn't know construction at all and might end up paying for the next mod...
Old 11-22-2005, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Dang, it sounds like they need to train their guys a little better. Works out good for you though!
Old 11-22-2005, 02:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Z ANGEL
Dang, it sounds like they need to train their guys a little better. Works out good for you though!
I find it funny and irritating at the same time. I mean, if you LOOK and see there are no gutters wouldn't you stop to think "gee, a gutter should be there so I won't DRILL into the truss" ?

The part that is funny - I'm easily amused nowadays