Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

The gas you use DOES matter!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 10:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The gas you use DOES matter!

Last night I went out to Speed Secrets to pick up my Corvette after having the intake manifold gasket and rear main seal replaced (along with a brake job, fuel filter, and plugs & wires) to stop a horrendous oil leak... car ran perfect, Ellis did a great job as usual... but on the way home out on 405 around Kirkland, the car started to stumble and missing badly. Almost felt like a cylinder was out... SES light came on and everything.

Well, long story short, Ellis came out and met me in Bellevue... and we couldn't narrow down why it was happening. No code in the computer, plug wires tight, all connections there... started thinking, "Crap... there goes the Opti." I limped it home for the night, thinking it'll need a damn Opti... what crappy timing because I'm flat as broke right now with Christmas and all.

Anyhow, tonight I poured a treatment of Chevron Techron Fuel Injector cleaner in the tank, and drove it around... the stumbling started getting less frequent the more I drove. I drove for about 10 or 12 miles, then stopped at the Chevron station... poured another bottle of Injector cleaner in, filled up the tank, then drove another 10 miles. Stumbling and missing all gone... smooth as butter.

I'm guessing the former owner of the car probably put crap gas into the car for its whole 83k miles... and then when I started putting Chevron in it a couple weeks ago, it started to loosen up deposits until they clogged up an injector or two.

So moral of my story... don't put crappy gas in your car! Chevron and Shell only for my cars... since I've always done that, I've never experienced a car having issues because of gas. Now I know it really does pay off to use the good stuff!
Old 12-15-2005, 11:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's all I've been using... even if it means extra expense or that I have to drive 8 miles extra to get it (that's an extra gallon to get there...). Better safe than sorry!
Old 12-15-2005, 11:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah I've started only using chevron or shell and my mileage even got better.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:21 AM
Launching!

Mobil 1 premium is up there with the best IMO, the gas in my car when it was over with Ellis was almost a year old... my mistake really, had my head on backwards... anyways he tunned it the best he could. After that I drove it around with new gas and it made all the difference, really came back to life.
Even with stabil aditive new gas is always best.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:10 AM
TECH Junkie

On this subject, and for those that haven't seen it, here's an interesting link to the current Top Tier standard-meeting gasoline retailers. Its really the first such "standard" that I've seen available to the general public. I use Chevron exclusively, but it seems like any retailer on the list would be sufficient in a pinch or for convenience.

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html
Old 12-16-2005, 08:13 AM
10 Second Club

My TA only seems to like Shell & Texaco premium. It runs faster & smoother. Chevron seems to not cause any issues, but the local station is out of my way. And it doesn't like 76 either. But I have NEVER run any cheap gas thru it!!! I've seen the insides of 1 too many motors that run that crap.....you can peal off large hunks of deposits in the combustion chambers.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

I wonder what type/brand of gas places like costco and safeway sell?
Old 12-16-2005, 09:39 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Red Cell
Mobil 1 premium is up there with the best IMO, the gas in my car when it was over with Ellis was almost a year old... my mistake really, had my head on backwards... anyways he tunned it the best he could. After that I drove it around with new gas and it made all the difference, really came back to life.
Even with stabil aditive new gas is always best.
Where do you get the Mobile 1 premium??
Old 12-16-2005, 09:40 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Ackattack1
Probably whatever the cheapest crap on the market is. I'd stay away from those two.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by CHarris
That's all I've been using... even if it means extra expense or that I have to drive 8 miles extra to get it (that's an extra gallon to get there...). Better safe than sorry!
Yeah, I only use Chevron supreme. I'll go way out of my way to get it but to me its worth it for sure.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:16 AM
TECH Addict

I was using 76 until they had that problem with the refinery in Bellingham and did not bother telling anyone until word got leaked to the media. Now it's Shell or Chevron only for me.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:04 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ackattack1
Costco gets theres from whoever has the best price usually 76, BP, Arco are a few of their main sources.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Rokko
Rokko, The Mobil 1 I know of is on the Northwest corner at Greenlake in seattle.
That and Chevron is the only food for my baby.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:46 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rokko

There's a Mobil station right on 99 just south of 212th by magic toyota and mcdonald's.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:50 PM
Launching!

Yeah I forgot about that one!!! ^
Old 12-16-2005, 03:01 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Red Cell
Rokko, The Mobil 1 I know of is on the Northwest corner at Greenlake in seattle.
That and Chevron is the only food for my baby.
Cool, now I know of two places to get it. That one and the one Josh just posted up. I wanna try that Mobile 1.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:25 PM
10 Second Club

The problem with some of the cheaper gas is the high sulfer content. Go fill up @ Arco & you will smell what I'm talking about. All of the oil from the Atlantic has this issue & it doesn't burn as hot / clean & leaves deposits in the engine, hence why it's cheaper.