Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

new bill to be passed...what do u think

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default new bill to be passed...what do u think

it is a nation wide thing cause the government is trying to pass a law. the law states that all children born to illegal imigrants in the u.s. will not automatically be a u.s. citizen.

By Donna Leinwand, USA TODAY
The United States' inability to slow illegal immigration from Mexico is fueling a financial crisis in the 24 counties along the 1,951-mile Southwest border, according to a new study. It says the counties are struggling to fund law enforcement, health programs and other necessities because they are spending millions of dollars a year to care for illegal immigrants.

A border agent searches suspected illegal immigrants who were stopped Monday in southwestern Cochise County, Ariz.
By Mark Levy for USA TODAY

Illegal immigrants continue to flow across the border even as increased security since the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks — there now are about 10,000 federal agents there, up from 7,000 — has boosted arrests dramatically. In 2004, there were 1.14 million arrests along the border that stretches from California to Texas, the Department of Homeland Security says. That was up 26% from the year before.

The jump in arrests has come to symbolize how localities have been left with much of the bill for border security, according to a study by the University of Texas at El Paso (UTEP) to be released today by the U.S./Mexico Border Counties Coalition. A funding increase by Congress last year will boost the number of federal detention cells from 18,000 to 20,000. However, that's not nearly enough to handle the waves of immigrants who are being arrested, so such people often end up in local jails.

Reimbursements fall short

The federal government reimburses localities and states for services they provide to illegal immigrants, but the payments don't come close to matching the localities' costs, the report says. For example, Department of Justice records show Arizona's four border counties asked the federal government for $23.2 million last year to cover the cost of jailing thousands of illegal immigrants. The counties were reimbursed $731,000.

In California, San Diego County spends $50 million a year to arrest, jail, prosecute and defend illegal immigrants, and is reimbursed about $2 million, says county Supervisor Greg ***, president of the border counties coalition. The $48 million shortfall cuts into the $600 million a year the county has for discretionary spending, he says. "That's money that would support libraries, parks and public safety."

Dennis Soden, executive director of the Institute for Policy and Economic Development at UTEP, says the border situation "creates a burden on the court system, the jail system and the prison system.

"The fact that the border can't be controlled creates a law enforcement problem that falls on the local jurisdictions," he says. "There's no other place in the country in this situation."

Homeland Security spokesman Russ Knocke says that besides increasing security, the federal government is launching a strategy to reduce the burden on state and local governments by returning illegal immigrants to their native countries more quickly.

Knocke says the department hopes to continue increasing the number of federal detention cells in border states. He says Homeland Security also is counting on Congress to create a guest-worker program that would allow the estimated 8 million to 10 million illegal immigrants in the USA to stay here for a limited time — likely six years. "It's no longer a situation where border security means just Border Patrol agents," he says.

This week, the U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee is considering immigration proposals that include registering, fingerprinting and issuing guest-worker permits to illegal immigrants in this country. The full Senate is likely to debate the issue March 27. Meanwhile, the House of Representatives has endorsed building a controversial double fence between the USA and Mexico, and tougher penalties for immigration violations.

By USA TODAY, Sources: Census Bureau (2000 statistics); Institute for Policy and Economic Development, University of Texas at El Paso
Medical facilities in border counties have to deal with some of the nation’s highest rates of uninsured patients.

Further effects

The impact of illegal immigrants on border counties reaches well beyond law enforcement, Soden says:

• U.S. law requires hospitals to treat anyone who needs emergency care, regardless of their ability to pay or immigration status. The UTEP study found that border counties have some of the nation's highest rates for uninsured patients, and that treating illegal immigrants accounts for nearly one-quarter of the uncompensated costs at the counties' hospitals. In Pima County, Ariz., hospitals reported having to absorb $76 million in treatment costs in 2000, about one-third of it from treating illegal immigrants.

• Cochise County, Ariz., reported spending tens of thousands of dollars each year to collect trash left at remote campsites by illegal immigrants. County Board of Supervisors Chairman Pat Call estimates that 13% of the solid waste generated in Cochise comes from such sites.

"The garbage issue is huge. Diapers, toilet paper, plastic jugs, backpacks," says Call, whose sparsely populated county in southeastern Arizona has become a favorite pathway into the USA for drug smugglers, human traffickers and Mexicans seeking work. "You name it, we've got to pay the bill for cleaning it up."

Like *** and other officials in border jurisdictions, Call says the increasing cost of illegal immigration on local law enforcement is rippling through his county's budget.

Prosecuting and jailing illegal immigrants who commit crimes costs Cochise County about $5 million of its $49 million annual budget, Call says. In 2005, the county asked the federal government for $2.5 million to help offset the costs and received $73,000, Call says.

About 25% of Cochise's budget paid for health care to uninsured people — most of them illegal immigrants — who went to the county hospital's emergency room, he says.

"The border region has some unique hardships," Call says, citing the UTEP report's analysis of the border counties' relatively high rates of uninsured residents and shortages of doctors and nurses. "The immigration issue, because the feds have not moved fast enough or thoroughly enough to deal with it, just exacerbates the panoply of issues we have here."

Last edited by B-RAD2; 03-28-2006 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-28-2006, 05:29 PM
TECH Resident

I think it's about time they started doing something about it...Illegal immigrants are costing us a ton of money and this will finally help stop that. I just wonder why it took this long to do anything when it's been such a huge problem all over the Country for years? But after living in Texas for 4 years and also in Southern California, I am all for it though...
Old 03-28-2006, 07:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, Steph. People do not remember that just a short 100yrs ago Teddy Roosevelt won an election on the platform that all immigrants that come to this country freely should embrace this country, it values and way of life and learn to speak English! If you want to be an American than you have to do it all, not just parts of it.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:02 PM
10 Second Club

The way I see it, we have already made them defacto citizens by letting them collect unemployment, food stamps & get driver's licenses. So now our Pres & many in COngress want to let them all become legal, while we arrest REAL Americans for drinking in bars. This country has lost it's mind!!! Time for some V FOR VENDETTA BABY......
Old 03-28-2006, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here we go again:

Old 03-28-2006, 08:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Having dealt firsthand with a lot of children of illegal immigrants I can honestly say that I think it is BS that just because you are born here that you get immediate rights to the Country........this is the only Nation that gives foriegners the exact same rights as Citizen, even if they are visiting, or worse, if they are here illegally.

Why reward people for breaking the law????

And this is not just about Hispanics, on the East Coast (and elsewhere) there is the same problem with numerous nationalities.......heck, even in L.A. we had a huge influx of Russian (general area) and Middle Eastern illegal immigrants that cause havoc on the public systems set in place (emergency rooms, welfare, schools, etc).

I know for a fact that if I enter a foriegn Country, legally or otherwise, I am not afforded the same rights & priveleges as the Citizens there and for that matter, I am in a world of hurt in a lot of Countries if I get in trouble just because I am a foriegner there.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Gave them the same rights hell they have MORE rights and a better Freaking version of them!
Old 03-28-2006, 09:20 PM
TECH Addict

It's about damn time. I can't believe it's taken us so long to implement this ? Rewarding illegals for breaking the law by giving free passes to their children, how retarded is that ?
Old 03-28-2006, 09:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Racehead
It's about damn time. I can't believe it's taken us so long to implement this ? Rewarding illegals for breaking the law by giving free passes to their children, how retarded is that ?
Is that a rhetorical question?
Old 03-28-2006, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would love for money to be used for other reasons. Like there downszing our military because we don;t have enough money to support the war. there kicking out like 60,000 people out of the navy alone to support the price of the war. that **** gets me hott.

Brad

U.S. NAVY
Old 03-28-2006, 11:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by B-RAD2
I would love for money to be used for other reasons. Like there downszing our military because we don;t have enough money to support the war. there kicking out like 60,000 people out of the navy alone to support the price of the war. that **** gets me hott.

Brad

U.S. NAVY
1) That is how Clinton ballanced the budget.
2) I am not pro Clinton.
3) Illegal immagrants should not have any rights in this country (hence the term ILLEGAL).
4) It is a slap in the face to those who went though the process the right way to give any immagrant a free pass at citizenship.
5) V for Vandetta all the way baby!
Old 03-29-2006, 12:43 AM
FormerVendor

Why don't we do what the Singapore government does to their illegals, JAIL THEM THEN CANE THEM and then SEND THEM HOME!
Old 03-29-2006, 12:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

I say build a mine field all the way across the border, if they make it, they stay, of not, oh well.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:59 AM
TECH Junkie

LOL the town of Hillsboro would be no more......
Old 03-29-2006, 01:15 AM
10 Second Club

In some respect the country needs cheap laborers to run certain things efficiently.. Most americans won't work for less than blank dollars, over or under the table. WeI agree that something should be done about the illegal imigrants, but it will cause many more issues than just saving money for healthcare and border policing!
Old 03-29-2006, 02:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 00Vette
In some respect the country needs cheap laborers to run certain things efficiently.. Most americans won't work for less than blank dollars, over or under the table. WeI agree that something should be done about the illegal imigrants, but it will cause many more issues than just saving money for healthcare and border policing!

I agree with you it is a very complex topic and has serious economic ramifications. But at the same time I don't know that they should be collecting unemployment etc. My Wife is an HR manager for a roofing company and if INS catches the illegal worker OUR American company is stiffly fined and the skilled laborers go work down the street for the competitor. Its pretty freaking ridiculous the whole system.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:16 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ram-it
I agree, Steph. People do not remember that just a short 100yrs ago Teddy Roosevelt won an election on the platform that all immigrants that come to this country freely should embrace this country, it values and way of life and learn to speak English! If you want to be an American than you have to do it all, not just parts of it.
I agree. I was born in Brazil and I came over here following all the rules, filing all the papers, paying all the fees, and I did it by myself - no lawyers were involved. Through the process even blood work had to be done. Do you think the people who cross the border on bare feet know about all this?... Well, I think they should before even thinking on "visiting"...

If I followed (and still follow) all the rules, why the dude that crossed the border on foot wouldn't have to?

I speak (and write) English and I am still learning about the culture. Why others don't? I pay taxes and I am an employer of both American and Foreign people, all absolutely legal. It's not that hard, it's just a matter of willing to do it.

I will always miss stuff from where I was born (the food, the women, less stress, no drug commercials, etc) but I am here by choice so I don't have a problem complying.

I still speak with an accent (it's hard not to) and there are lots of jokes I still don't get but hey... it's a fun process after all...
Old 03-29-2006, 03:31 AM
12 Second Club

This country became what it is now from people coming here from all over the world. My grandmother came here from croatia, so I'm not against immigration. The problem I have is healthcare, schools, goverment loans etc... A person can move here from another country, in a matter of days have DSHS healthcare, food cards, free state schools etc. We have so many here without healthcare it is terrible and to qualify you need to be dirt poor.

Last edited by rotwiler; 03-29-2006 at 03:45 AM.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

My father was a legal immigrant to this country. He didn't speak the language when he got here, but he made that first on his priority list. He served our country in Korea (unfortunately army English was his first English). Went to college, married, and raised his children as Americans first, Danes second. English was spoken at home and while we retained some traditions of the old country you would probably never have guessed from meeting his children that my father was an immigrant. He frequently said that he did not understand why anyone would come to this country if they weren't willing to become Americans.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

WS6 Freak --- Man you have a beautiful car

Quick Reply: new bill to be passed...what do u think