Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Need help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need help!

I have been struggling lately with what to do to or with my car. It has turned 40k (put 30k in 18 mths), needs some touch ups for rock chips and standard wear and as everyone knows its not a true Mod red interior which is to object of my affection. So, I can either swap my car for a very, very low mile 03 EB with MD red interior or say screw it and send my car to Lingenfelter. That's it. I am doing one or the other. I talked to Lingenfelter yesterday and have a tentative appointment and booked transport but I'm still not sure. I would love to have a real badass Lingenfelter but I would also like to have a brand new Z to keep in the garage. Yes, I would stop driving it everyday if I swap cars. I have lived by the "I buy it to drive it clause" but the beating my current car has taken is killing me. I try to ignore it but it keeps me awake at night. Really!! Would a Lingenfelter setup and paint touch up make me happier than a garage queen? Honestly, I am 60/40 on Lingenfelter but my gut or heart is making this tough. Any insight?
Old 04-12-2006, 11:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eric? Did you just say that? 2003 EB with mod red interior, or 2002 Lingenfelter EB with mod red interior? I think you know what to do.. And after you do, you need to take me for a ride in it
Old 04-12-2006, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Poik
Eric? Did you just say that? 2003 EB with mod red interior, or 2002 Lingenfelter EB with mod red interior? I think you know what to do.. And after you do, you need to take me for a ride in it
Depends on what your going to get put in at LPE. If it's just a H/C, nah switch cars. If it's a SC, order Andy's kit and ship it w/ the car, stay away from the Maggie.(plus it'll save you money on the hood) If your going TT or 427, I'd say do it!
Old 04-12-2006, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Personally, I think LPE is overrated and overpriced. I think you pay a lot for the name. Granted, they do a good job, but I think you can get the same quality for a cheaper price elsewhere. That is just me.

If you 're goign to do all of this, why not just get a '06 ZO6?
Old 04-12-2006, 11:31 PM
12 Second Club

I saw you today on 124th, car looks great.

You know you want a LF Vette do it.l
Old 04-12-2006, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Steve Goodwin
I saw you today on 124th, car looks great.

You know you want a LF Vette do it.l
Was he in your rear view mirror, w/ his slow a$$ ZO6.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I drove a Lingenfelter Maggie and it was badass. But in this instance I am looking at their H/C combo and a few other items thrown in. This setup consistently puts down 450-460rwhp and is nuts on reliable. I would love a blower but have been almost talked out of it by TJ Wong in how I use my car. To do a a Vortech blower at A&A would be about the same cost as Lingenfelter. However, Lingenfelter will completely disassemble the engine, hot tank it, and put it back together. That is like getting a new engine in itself. As for the new Z, I do not want to pay that much for it. I have looked at the Vipers and could swap out to one of the 03-05's and be where I would want to be in payments but I would not drive it every day.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ram-it
I drove a Lingenfelter Maggie and it was badass. But in this instance I am looking at their H/C combo and a few other items thrown in. This setup consistently puts down 450-460rwhp and is nuts on reliable. I would love a blower but have been almost talked out of it by TJ Wong in how I use my car. To do a a Vortech blower at A&A would be about the same cost as Lingenfelter. However, Lingenfelter will completely disassemble the engine, hot tank it, and put it back together. That is like getting a new engine in itself. As for the new Z, I do not want to pay that much for it. I have looked at the Vipers and could swap out to one of the 03-05's and be where I would want to be in payments but I would not drive it every day.
Go H/C, but take it to Ellis. Check out WS6freak's numbers w/ a reasonable budget. I'd say go AFR 205s milled to 63cc, .040 gaskets, G5X3 cam, some LG headers, a vararam, and call it a day. Easily 450+rwhp, and for just about 4k before install. As for tuning either Ellis or TJ set you up just right. I'd say about $6500 after it's said and done.

P.S. - I'm trying to get just about there w/ my next round of mods.

Last edited by tru_ice; 04-13-2006 at 12:07 AM.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

I talked to TJ yesterday and he said that the price at Lingenfelter cannot be touched. He hasn't even called me back to tell me how close he could get. Regardless, I just had this discussion with Jacquie and she said to go to Lingenfelter. She does not trust a car located over on the east coast even if an appraiser goes to look at it. Guess its settled. I will be setting up my appointment by the end of this week and will take a break to drive it down and then go back to pick it up. I have not driven that far since I moved out here the last time and could use the time to relax and site see. Thanks for all the input!
Old 04-13-2006, 12:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Yeah keep your car, if you really want Mod red interior just switch it out, may take awhile to get all the parts but it isn't that hard. The seats you could redo with some vette essential covers and have the look and better quality.

The garage queen is worse, another reason I sold mine, it was SO new with so little miles I hated driving and parking anywhere, getting caught in the rain, driving behind people etc. I had mine for almost 2 years and only put 8K miles on it that kinda sucks
Old 04-13-2006, 12:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

I talked to TJ yesterday and he said that the price at Lingenfelter cannot be touched. He hasn't even called me back to tell me how close he could get. Regardless, I just had this discussion with Jacquie and she said to go to Lingenfelter. She does not trust a car located over on the east coast even if an appraiser goes to look at it. Guess its settled. I will be setting up my appointment by the end of this week and will take a break to drive it down and then go back to pick it up. I have not driven that far since I moved out here the last time and could use the time to relax and site see. Thanks for all the input!
Congrats! I'm sure you'll be more than happy, w/ your new setup. It'll be like a completely whole different car.

I call SHOTGUN to take first crack at that LPE ZO6.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

congrats man! i really think your going to enjoy your setup.

Brad
Old 04-13-2006, 01:05 AM
TECH Addict

"But I'm not going to mod this one"

Eric, I am actually glad to see you are doing something like this with that car. A ZO6 is an awesome piece of machinery and it is a shame to see someone on this board not modding a car.

With that many miles on it you become more willing to mod it out. I am the same way with a bunch of my computer and electronic goodies around the house. (Overclocking does not sound so bad when a computer is 3 years old.)

Lingenfelter is just a name, but it is a good one when it comes to Corvettes and LSx cars. Good choice.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:05 AM
10 Second Club

That's a hard choice Eric, since neither direction would end up being bad. The only thing I don't like about the Lingenfelter mod is service. I mean really, if it isn't right, who is gonna fix it for you? (the answer is TJ or Ellis) So I would have kept it local. Both of those guys know their ****, and would take VERY good care of you afterwards!

I've never worked with TJ, but I have worked with Ellis, and he is very **** about doing it right, provided you have the time & money. And he has nothing but praise for TJ, so I wouldn't hesitate to go there. As for Ellis, I can assure you he & Jimbob can pic / design a cam that will equal anybody's. And the shop that does his machine work on heads is also very good.

But LF has a pretty good rep too. And they do sell the best headers for Vettes (I think Borla makes em). So like I said, you can't make a wrong decision. I guess the only question I'd have is will you still DD it?

Oh, and other than adding 100+hp, a blower really has no affect on driveability.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:52 AM
TECH Veteran

will take a break to drive it down and then go back to pick it up. I have not driven that far since I moved out here the last time and could use the time to relax and site see. Thanks for all the input!
So, um, need a passenger to help keep you awake/amused for your long road trip/s???

Old 04-13-2006, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I hear what your saying Mark but I have yet to find even one person on any forum that had issues with Lingenfelter. This is by no means a done deal for me. TJ is looking into a similar setup for me and I am waiting on pricing. I really do not want to ship it to Dallas ($1200 one way) or to drive and fly back only to fly back down and drive back up. Both costs $$ that I could be using on something else. One thing is for sure, I will be keeping it and it will be a 500+hp setup when I am done.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:31 AM
TECH Resident

Eric you should drive my car one of these days. Ellis and TJ absolutely kicked ***. I didn't send my car to one of the modders east not only because it was beyond my budget but also because if I need anything done to the car Ellis is close.

On the other hand, if seeing the name Lingenfelter on your engine everytime you pop the hood will make you happier than I'd hit it!

EDIT: Forgot you were considering a '06 Z-06 - If you can afford it there's no question - buy it.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Eric, have you thought about getting that Ligenfelter Z06 from Park Place? Or is swapping cars out of the question? IIRC, you have driven it at least, right?
Old 04-14-2006, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, I have driven the 01 Z that has the Lingenfelter Maggie setup. Awesome car! But no, I would not swap with it because its the wrong color. If it aint Electron Blue then it aint for me. I am still pricing out my options and may just keep it local so I can use the transport money to buy some new wheels. Those CCW 500 or 505 are killing me!
Old 04-14-2006, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, I have driven the 01 Z that has the Lingenfelter Maggie setup. Awesome car! But no, I would not swap with it because its the wrong color. If it aint Electron Blue then it aint for me. I am still pricing out my options and may just keep it local so I can use the transport money to buy some new wheels. Those CCW 500 or 505 are killing me!
These?

PIC 1 -

PIC 2 -

Quick Reply: Need help!