Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Cat-less cars

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 11:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cat-less cars

in Snohomish County.........problem or ok? Trying to decide if I wanna sink the money into redo-ing my true duals or just say F*** it and order those Texas Spd ones with Sweet Thunder mufflers.......the downside is they are dumped and have no cats but the upside is they bolt right on I will stop scraping over every pebble and shadow on the road..............

One cat is already dead on my car so I need to figure this out sometime before the summer is over..........when do 2002 cars come due for their 1st smog test up here? Mine would have been due in '07 in Cali if memory serves correct.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:45 AM
12 Second Club

in 07, the 2002's have testing here.. I have been seeing that Olympia is thinking about California type standards at some point... hope not. Right now, they just plug a scanner to your pcm and check if any codes come up(or it was that way last year in Pierce County). I ran without cats for awhile, but it was annoying loud at times after the stall converter.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only problem I see is if they see that you don't have tailpipes coming out the back... they might question that. However, since they just do OBDII scan right now, as long as you're tuned right, you'll pass without cats.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Such a pain.........I would "prefer" to have mine re-done IF I could get a lot more ground clearance**.........but since I need new mufflers, new cats and labor costs, I am pretty sure it will cost me as much as getting it done in the first place ($700 give or take).

** As it stands right now, you cannot roll a tennis ball underneath my car without it getting stuck on the pipes.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:10 PM
TECH Veteran

** As it stands right now, you cannot roll a tennis ball underneath my car without it getting stuck on the pipes.
Yes, this is true. We drove the dog nuts by kicking tennis ***** under Rotts car - and poor dawg had to wait until he left to get them back

The T/A has a tad more clearance...at least a tennis ball with enough force *will* pass under the car.
I wonder if they will have a "tennis ball" test in the future?
Old 04-26-2006, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rottluver
I feel your pain
Old 04-26-2006, 11:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rotwiler
in 07, the 2002's have testing here.. I have been seeing that Olympia is thinking about California type standards at some point... hope not. Right now, they just plug a scanner to your pcm and check if any codes come up(or it was that way last year in Pierce County). I ran without cats for awhile, but it was annoying loud at times after the stall converter.
The California testing will only cover vehicles manufacturered after the date that the bill is introduced.

If you're that worried about it rott just register the mother trucker in island county...no emissions to worry about.

Nate
Old 04-27-2006, 10:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Nate_Taufer
The California testing will only cover vehicles manufacturered after the date that the bill is introduced.

If you're that worried about it rott just register the mother trucker in island county...no emissions to worry about.

Nate
Not "too" worried about it....just trying to decide how best to spend my $$ ya know? $400 for the cat-less TSP true duals or ?? for re-doing my current setup.

In Cali, the killer was the visual inspection.......that ruined everyone.
Old 04-27-2006, 01:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Not "too" worried about it....just trying to decide how best to spend my $$ ya know? $400 for the cat-less TSP true duals or ?? for re-doing my current setup.

Seriously...bring it out to the Redmond Emissions station. They have a guy out there that knows about our cars and passes most all of them by adjusting the OBD scan.
When the Z28 wouldn't rev lower than 1,000 (no OBDII) he let me drive around the parking lot a couple of times, blocked his lane off, waited, had me pull right up and ran it.

Passed!
Old 04-27-2006, 03:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by GEARHED
Seriously...bring it out to the Redmond Emissions station. They have a guy out there that knows about our cars and passes most all of them by adjusting the OBD scan.
When the Z28 wouldn't rev lower than 1,000 (no OBDII) he let me drive around the parking lot a couple of times, blocked his lane off, waited, had me pull right up and ran it.

Passed!
If I still have the car when it is due for a check, I will prolly do just that.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:25 AM
Banned

I have the TSP TD's. Im happy with the setup. Although I would have gone with a different muffler in retrospect.

Nate
Old 04-28-2006, 10:25 AM
TECH Veteran

I have the TSP TD's. Im happy with the setup. Although I would have gone with a different muffler in retrospect.

Nate
They offer three diff mufflers now (Dynomax Bullets, Sweet Thunders and Moroso Spiral Flows)....which did you go with? I want the Sweet Thunders (have heard they sound the most like the GMMG chambered catback).

Even if I redo my current TD setup, I want to replace my mufflers with a pair of ST's regardless.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:34 AM
10 Second Club

Have you rpiced factory cats yet? That WILL make your decision for you.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
Have you rpiced factory cats yet? That WILL make your decision for you.
Nope but I wouldn't put those bricks back on my car again for all the tea in China, even if they were free!!!! Cats (aftermarket) are expensive enough.

Unless I can find some decent ones that aren't $200 then I will prolly end up with the TSP setup........for some reason, I got my current 3" cats for about $59/each when I ordered my headers. Haven't been able to find them anywhere near that cheap since.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:58 PM
Banned

They offer three diff mufflers now (Dynomax Bullets, Sweet Thunders and Moroso Spiral Flows)....which did you go with? I want the Sweet Thunders (have heard they sound the most like the GMMG chambered catback).

Even if I redo my current TD setup, I want to replace my mufflers with a pair of ST's regardless.
I went with the bullets. I'd go moroso spiral flows if I had to do it over again.

Nate
Old 04-28-2006, 05:04 PM
TECH Veteran

I went with the bullets. I'd go moroso spiral flows if I had to do it over again.

Nate
For size, sound or????

Do you not like the Sweet Thunders or just no opinion?

Quick Reply: Cat-less cars