Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Rusted tips?

Old 04-26-2006, 07:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rusted tips?

The "detail and appearance" section here is no help...

Chrome tips on the T/A have a little rust on the *inside*, pretty much up about 3" from the outside edge. Anyone clean these and what/how (dremel?) did you get them cleaned up?

I'm bored. No money to mod so I'm actually spending time getting every scratch, spider web and nick out of the black paint even though the front left side is still fubar'd.

I'm just waiting for the nighmare to end then its the end for both cars.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:24 PM
TECH Addict

When I had my battleship Cadillac I used a chrome polish that removed the oxidation. I could have swarn it was by Turtle Wax but I don't really remember. I might still have some in the cupbord that has all of my car care stuff in it.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:37 PM
TECH Veteran

I used that...had some left over from the RV which is high powered stuff considering they get bugged out something fierce.

This is on the inside of the tips, either there isn't any chrome left or there wasn't any to start with. Not sure but small spots of rust are fuggin up the looks ????
Old 04-26-2006, 08:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by GEARHED
I used that...had some left over from the RV which is high powered stuff considering they get bugged out something fierce.

This is on the inside of the tips, either there isn't any chrome left or there wasn't any to start with. Not sure but small spots of rust are fuggin up the looks ????
I'm no expert, but maybe some fine sandpaper or something would help...
Old 04-26-2006, 10:07 PM
12 Second Club

OOOO Steel wool might work.
Old 04-29-2006, 01:21 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't use anything abrasive on chrome. Once you take the the sheen off the chrome it's nearly impossible to get it back and make it look even. Often times you'll end up sanding/rubbing through the chrome to the copper backing.

I don't know if it's still made anymore, but I've used Brasso chrome/copper/brass polish with good success. It removes rust from chrome fairly well unless the chrome is pitted. Turtle wqx used to make some good chrome polish too but I haven't seen that in a long time.

Good luck.
Mike
Old 04-29-2006, 03:31 AM
Banned

If trying to clean surface rust off of chrom, a flat piece of aluminum foil with some soapy water will take the rust right off. Used to use this trick on all my chrome drum hardware. Just wrap it around a popsicle stick or something flat and go mildly with lots of soapy water and it will come right off.

nate

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rusted tips?