Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Going to court, need advice please!

Old 04-29-2006, 02:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to court, need advice please!

Okay, so about three months ago I was getting onto 1-5 N from 520. It was dark/wet and I didn't see a piece of road-debris. I hit the debris going about 45, which cause my back end to kick loose. I tried to correct (and got it 3-4 times) but on the last time spun out across 4 lanes and snagged the guard-rail pretty good.

No other cars involved. Just facing backwards on I-5 at 1AM on the median to the left of the fast lane. . .

Officer came to the scene, accused me of drunk driving (hadn't had ONE drink) and reckless (I denied it, as I was accelerating normally). He harassed me for ten minutes and then proceeded to tell me he didn't have to fill out an accident report (no other cars involved). I said that would be wonderful, because I could lose my job if I get a ticket/at fault accident. He helped me get across and took my license/registration.

I have NEVER had a ticket or at-fault accident. NEVER. This guy let me go after filing an accident report (which was fairly vague from what I could see) and let me drive home with a bruised quarter panel and a bruised ego...

I got the car fixed, told my insurance company I wasn't ticketed, and then got a ticket in the mail a month an a half later for "driving too fast to avoid collision."

I chose not to get it deferred and I'm taking it to court to FIGHT it on the 15th, but I need to know what I can do and say to get the judge's ear. . . I mean, I know I'm a 23 y/o driving a RWD V8 muscle-car, but I was harrassed and then ticketed for a violation I didn't commit. . . What do I do!?
Old 04-29-2006, 03:49 PM
TECH Regular

lawyer up.
Old 04-29-2006, 04:36 PM
On The Tree

A lawyer's more than the ticket, and I hate most lawyers. I just want to go in and fight this on my own. . . unless someone knows a good lawyer who isn't outlandishly expensive? Ugh, the cheapest I can find is like $250, and I don't want a 'cheap' lawyer either. You know?
Old 04-29-2006, 05:02 PM
Banned

Just go to the hearing yourself, be VERY respectful, and explain to the judge the situation. If anything you can get the ticket knocked down in price at the very least. **** lawyers.

Nate
Old 04-29-2006, 05:10 PM
On The Tree

lawyers are a waste of cash IMO in this case. go in an be respectful, call the the judge you honor and all that ****. explain what happened when he asks you. and tell him why u feel u should not have been ticketed. tell him you have never been in trouble with the law(he will already know that of course though, it will be on his computer. And if all fails and he still wont drop it, which he should, request a defferment or whatever it is. that way it is not on your record unless u get another ticket within a year, then u pay both and they go on your record. I think a deferal costs like 100 bucks or less.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by longdaddy
lawyer up.
Never go to court without one.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:28 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah I spent $350 on mine and didn't even have to show up to court she got it dropped. Jeannie Mucklestone 206-623-3343
Old 04-29-2006, 05:56 PM
TECH Regular

if you say it was wet and dark, then you might've been driving too fast for conditions.
Old 04-29-2006, 06:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Nathan
if you say it was wet and dark, then you might've been driving too fast for conditions.
3 months ago was January.......one of the wettest months in a looooong time.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lawer up or pay for your mistake over the next three to six years

BEST $350 you will EVER spend!
Old 04-29-2006, 07:28 PM
Staging Lane

yeah i agree.I guess it depends what your after.Not wanting a ticket on your record because you might lose your job?Whats that worth?$350. bucks & not having to stand in the unemployment line?You can drop $350.bucks over dinner & a movie & drinks in one night!Remember these cars are dangerous even on dry pavement!You did the deed now pay the piper!Hope it works out for ya!
Old 04-29-2006, 07:35 PM
On The Tree

I guess what sucks is I was going straight. . . in 4th. . . at 45. . . and barely hitt ing the gas. Hit a piece of debris or something that's impossible to see, and ugh.

And it wasn't even 'too fast for conditions'.

It was 'too fast to avoid a collision' WTF!?

I may get a lawyer, but I think I stand a good chance of getting this dropped oging in on my own. I suppose we'll see--I may be shooting myself in the foot. This sucks. . .
Old 04-29-2006, 08:45 PM
Staging Lane

keep us posted!!!
Old 04-29-2006, 08:52 PM
TECH Regular

well yeah, lawyer may seem like a lot of cash, but consider this - you have no experience in a traffic court, but the prosecutor and his witness (cop) taxed hudreds if not thousands of guys like you. they know what's up.

lawyer is just a way of making the odds even.

I second Mucklestone recommendation - heard a lot of good things about her.

by the way, you real violation here is "driving a camaro while young" - a bulletproof case in the eyes of many judges - i've been there

Last edited by longdaddy; 04-29-2006 at 09:12 PM.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rookiels1
Yeah I spent $350 on mine and didn't even have to show up to court she got it dropped. Jeannie Mucklestone 206-623-3343
Jeannie is hot I have her as a lawyer also
Old 04-29-2006, 09:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Defrizez28 Ive P.M.d you check it out,..........now!
Old 04-29-2006, 10:21 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by yekta
Jeannie is hot I have her as a lawyer also
Never actually met her lol
Old 04-29-2006, 10:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rookiels1
Never actually met her lol
Hahaha me neither, and i guess i recommended her to you right?
Old 04-29-2006, 11:16 PM
TECH Resident

We used her once years ago, worked great! Then referred her to a friend and she never showed up in court. Our friend was screwed and ended up paying way more than the $350 after it was all said and done...

If you don't get a Lawyer, just go in there and tell the Judge straight up the honest truth. I'm betting you will get it dropped. I think it's really strange that you got a ticket in the mail a month and a half later..is that even legal?
Old 04-29-2006, 11:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1BAD95Z
We used her once years ago, worked great! Then referred her to a friend and she never showed up in court. Our friend was screwed and ended up paying way more than the $350 after it was all said and done...

If you don't get a Lawyer, just go in there and tell the Judge straight up the honest truth. I'm betting you will get it dropped. I think it's really strange that you got a ticket in the mail a month and a half later..is that even legal?
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm really not sure if it's legal. I know what it IS, though, and that's BULLSHIT! The cop took one look at me and saw an easy opportunity for a ticket. He just wasn't man enough to do it to my face.

I was respectful, cooperative, and tried to be patient while he harrassed me on the side of the road in the rain and accused me of driving recklessly and drinking. He even said he 'smelled a little something' on my breath

I know that if I end up going alone I won't disrespect the officer in any way--and I think that's the mistake people make. Judges are probably more inclined to go w/ an officer's word because they are on the same 'side' if you know what I mean.

I like a lot of cops. . . even have some friends, but this one was a real

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Going to court, need advice please!