Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Manual fan switch

Old 06-11-2006, 11:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Manual fan switch

Well, just wondering if anyone might be able to help me out with putting one on my car that has one. i know slp has one, but i was look more for the DIY kind. i have everything to do it, since i already tried it my self and failed misserably . i think the reason my car wasn't consistant on friday was my engine temps. or if someone has one of those hypertechs lying around, and would mind helping me change my fan temps. and i know ellis could do it for me, but i already talked to him, and i just can't afford to spend any money right now.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just get the SLP one. It is the easy clean way.
Old 06-12-2006, 01:50 AM
TECH Regular

A 180F thermastat seems to help me much more than the fans. The SLP is a clean kit since it gives a full wiring harness rather than you having to guess which wire and CUT! it.

I still use the fan when hot lapping, and.. just because when I pop the hood and walk off leaving the fan on high people gotta come over stoop and look
Old 06-12-2006, 02:15 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Another vote on the SLP switch, I have it in my car, and use it constantly at the track. My fan is always running when my car is, until I go to stage, and then I switch it off until I finish my run and turn it back on when I hit the return road.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:05 AM
10 Second Club

Yeeeaaaaahhhhh, the problem is if you run the fan and your thermostat is the stock 200*+ unit, that is how hot the motor will stay. And if you put in a cooler therm, the fans are still set to turn on at the stock 220* setting then it will tend to still run hot. You kinda need to do it all to ensure you change things. (thermostat + tweaking the fan tables or a manual switch)

And buy a 180* therm....160 is too cold for a stock motor (the heads need some heat)
Old 06-12-2006, 09:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The LT1 thermostat is 180* stock, I have a wiring diagram laying around somewhere for wiring a DPDT switch to the grounds for the cooling fan relays that lets you operate both low and hi speeds with one switch. Let me know if you want the diagram. If you are good at soldering it is an easy deal to do. if you need some help I could give you a hand too.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:24 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
Yeeeaaaaahhhhh, the problem is if you run the fan and your thermostat is the stock 200*+ unit, that is how hot the motor will stay. And if you put in a cooler therm, the fans are still set to turn on at the stock 220* setting then it will tend to still run hot. You kinda need to do it all to ensure you change things. (thermostat + tweaking the fan tables or a manual switch)

And buy a 180* therm....160 is too cold for a stock motor (the heads need some heat)
I keep my '98 at 180 degrees using the fan switch.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, i know about the slp one. but i am trying to keep this on the cheep side. i have the wire and switch to do it, but i need someone who has done it before to help me not f it up again. last time i tried it my fans would never come on, and the switch only worked when the car was off. my mom said i can't do it unless someone who has done it before helps me. lol
Old 06-12-2006, 08:56 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Originally Posted by jewbacca
well, i know about the slp one. but i am trying to keep this on the cheep side. i have the wire and switch to do it, but i need someone who has done it before to help me not f it up again. last time i tried it my fans would never come on, and the switch only worked when the car was off. my mom said i can't do it unless someone who has done it before helps me. lol
I did it on my Trans Am, they hadn't come up with the SLP item when I did it... Let me see if I can dig up that tutorial.
Old 06-17-2006, 01:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Low N Slow
The LT1 thermostat is 180* stock, I have a wiring diagram laying around somewhere for wiring a DPDT switch to the grounds for the cooling fan relays that lets you operate both low and hi speeds with one switch. Let me know if you want the diagram. If you are good at soldering it is an easy deal to do. if you need some help I could give you a hand too.
post diagram plz.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:49 AM
On The Tree

any luck on that diagram yet? I'm wanting to run the fans with the car off, help to cool down while sitting in line for the next run. Thanks, RTon
Old 06-21-2006, 01:52 PM
TECH Addict

I don't have a manual switch in my car but I have the 160º thermostat and the fans are programmed to turn on earlier. Always stays between about 165º and 180º on my gauge.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:36 PM
Teching In

ima help u ghetto guys out there i just did this on my car leds and all works pretty good so far this is the link for it http://www.freewebtown.com/Loochy88/ManualFanSwitch.htm plus it was real cheap like 10 bucks for all the parts i needed and maybe just as good as the slp one
Old 06-25-2006, 05:58 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Here's a good write up on doing it the cheap way..

http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread...threadid=19313

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Manual fan switch