Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Need some pucks ASAP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 09:17 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need some pucks ASAP!!!

Well, I got the fence done last night! Actually I just need to finish a couple boards that need to be cut to fit..........3 to be exact then its of to the more important project! MY CAR!

Well I'm going to have it up on jack stands for a while and I don't have any pucks to jack it up. Does anyone know where I can aquire some pucks TODAY?

I would like to start the fuel pump install today. Maybe even finish it today and get working on the intake and nitrous as well. Either way, I need 4 pucks ASAP.

Any help would be awesome!!!

Thanks!
Old 07-16-2006, 09:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

make your own...

http://www.97vette.com/howto/liftpads/index.html
Old 07-16-2006, 03:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's the write up I used to make mine Jon. However, I used UHMW (A plastic like material free at work) and only did one thickness. The double decker style and you'll never get a floor jack under your car. Even with a single thickness, I have to drive up onto a 2x6 to get my racing floor jack underneath, and you are lower.
What kind of times did you get the last couple days? Did you run in the CCC? I couldn'r make it cause of car then work.
Robert
Old 07-16-2006, 03:25 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Robert56
That's the write up I used to make mine Jon. However, I used UHMW (A plastic like material free at work) and only did one thickness. The double decker style and you'll never get a floor jack under your car. Even with a single thickness, I have to drive up onto a 2x6 to get my racing floor jack underneath, and you are lower.
What kind of times did you get the last couple days? Did you run in the CCC? I couldn'r make it cause of car then work.
Robert
my mph was down about 2-3mph Friday and Saturday. I don't know why. The car SEEMS to be running fine. I'm flabergasted!!!

The car did produce decent times for trapping 116-117 though. I got 12.0-12.3's all day long. I even got a 12.000 but no 11's.

It just floors me that I lost 2-3 mph since I last time I ran her. The only good thing is that I'm learning how to get better 60ft times. My best was 1.73 and my worst was a 1.8X. So that's a big improvement from last time.

Anyway, I did get to run the CCC. My first round I raped my oponent and let off coasting throught the traps at 90mph to an 12.7 ET. My second run was against some crappy car with a 14.50 dial in. It seemed like for ever against my 12.20 dial in. When the light dropped I did chase him down, but passed him right at the end. I should have let off as I passed him but I stayed into it and cut out with an 12.10 to my 12.20 dial in. Oh well, I learned how to play the game and I was happy for my first bracket appearance.

What's your work schedule looking like? I may come and visit this week and see how your doing or if you need any help on the car. I also have to bring that router over.
Old 07-16-2006, 05:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Weather conditions could have accounted for your mph difference pretty easy.
Old 07-16-2006, 06:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Sorry this "Don't use the pucks use the procedure in the Z06forums.com" should read : If you don't have pucks and you want to personally get your C5 in the air, z06forums has a method that worked good for me. Just make sure to use the wood as described some people just jack on the differential or the crossmember that isn't a nice thing to do to such a nice car

Last edited by 93TAWicked1; 07-16-2006 at 11:58 PM.
Old 07-16-2006, 08:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 93TAWicked1
Don't use the pucks use the procedure in the Z06forums.com
The pucks are the best location for your jack stands, you won't scratch up your aluminum parts underneath. They also are great for when you have your car on a lift at a shop, just ask Jon about the damage he incured.

Jon, sounds like you had a good time. Are you sure you were winding her out in each gear? That 1.73 should have put you in the 11's for sure, even with the heat. I was off with my times first time out also, remember, we are driving sticks, not the put it in drive and mash the pedal like the autos, we have to actually know how to drive.

Time wise, if I can get parts Monday, I'll be back in buss soon. I was able to get the half shaft out and currently have the CV joint apart. Met a Friendly Chev parts guy today and will get prefered customer pricing tomorrow for parts I need. Check out my post on driving Rollin Black's car, a beast.
Robert
Robert
Old 07-16-2006, 08:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a nice set of snap-in pucks. great for the lifts!
Old 07-16-2006, 11:28 PM
Conversion master

Maybe this is a dumb question, but whats the deal with the pucks? Why do C5's need them?
Old 07-16-2006, 11:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 70 LS1
Maybe this is a dumb question, but whats the deal with the pucks? Why do C5's need them?
A few reasons, like the fiberglass body wraps around under the door sill next to the frame. So unaware morons will set the lift up to the frame and when going up they break the body, ask Jon. Also, with so much delicate aluminum underneath, jacking spots are hard to come by and using the wrong location will result in expensive damage. Then the fact that most vette guys are real **** and do not want scratches, mars and dents in said aluminum. The best reason is a great place to put your jack stands out of the way, if you know where the tie down slots are at (outboard and inbetween front/rear tires).
Robert
Old 07-16-2006, 11:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Not too mention the floors are made of balsa wood or something a jack would right through it on the wrong place. hell our F-bodies need them too seems like all F-bodys have the front fendor mounts bent.

For the record Robert I'm not trying to argue but the Z06 method with wood is a fine way to put a vette in the air I had frame rails and could not use pucks. The jack or stands never touched metal and the car felt a whole lot sturdier than on pucks. But that is just my experience in my garage which is all I can suggest. As far as shops go the one time it had to go in I took the rails off and watched them use the pucks. Seriously always watch the shops jack up your **** they treat ever car like a Kia.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:07 AM
10 Second Club

Well Robert, I'm glad to hear your car may be done soon. How bad was the problem?

I may just put blocks under the car and call it a day. I need to get this project started and finished if you know what I mean. However I don't want to **** anything up!

I'll be visiting you, calling you, and PMing you for advise and help!

I think I'm going to order some and have them next day mailed so I can get this project under way. I would contemplate the wood blocks, but I don't have the saw to cut the wood.

I'll ask for help soon if I need it!
Old 07-17-2006, 12:30 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ackattack1
Weather conditions could have accounted for your mph difference pretty easy.
You think it could acount for 3mph? That is quite a bit to account for!!!

Can anyone else comment?
Old 07-17-2006, 12:34 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 00Vette
You think it could acount for 3mph? That is quite a bit to account for!!!

Can anyone else comment?

Jon all I can say is DUH!!!

Weather is every thing. last time I went to the track my car ran pretty much what it had ran in 50* weather and I was happy. Some were confused as to why. Why you may ask? Because EVERYONE else was 3/10th slower that day
Old 07-17-2006, 12:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 93TAWicked1
Not too mention the floors are made of balsa wood or something a jack would right through it on the wrong place. hell our F-bodies need them too seems like all F-bodys have the front fendor mounts bent.

For the record Robert I'm not trying to argue but the Z06 method with wood is a fine way to put a vette in the air I had frame rails and could not use pucks. The jack or stands never touched metal and the car felt a whole lot sturdier than on pucks. But that is just my experience in my garage which is all I can suggest. As far as shops go the one time it had to go in I took the rails off and watched them use the pucks. Seriously always watch the shops jack up your **** they treat ever car like a Kia.
Yea, I know the method your talking about and used it on my coupe, but for me I found the puck set-up a bit better.
Robert

Quick Reply: Need some pucks ASAP!!!