Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Tranny question for Ellis or anyone

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 11:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Tranny question for Ellis or anyone

I am having a hard time getting my trans into gear, and really hard for reverse. This is hardest when standing still, but also when banging hard it feels a little almost grindy going into 3rd.

Here's what has been changed or modded.

First, I broke the clutch actuator and lost clutch fluid all over the ground after putting car together (fluid likely drained all the way to master). Tore it apart and put new actuator in and bled clutch about 5 times. This is what seems most likely to me, still air in master and/or line/actuator.

Second, changed from GM fluid to full synthetic atf, Mobil 1 (dexron III surpassed).

Thrid, did the Venom mod. This is to take some of the notchiness out and for smother shifting. (can do the same with drain plug washers used as spacers)

Tranny gurus, any ideas?
Robert
Old 07-24-2006, 12:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

It was working fine (textraila) until I had drive train out then in. I wonder if I messed up the clutch disc when trying to force things back together, and thus the broken hyd actuator?
Robert
Old 07-24-2006, 07:43 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no idea. But from what I understand, those Vettes are very easy to put back together.....WRONGLY! Probably why Ellis has so many of the racer crowd knocking on his door.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:28 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Mark is correct. Every car I have seen that some one else put a clutch in needed an input shaft When I did Jon's car I came up with several changes for doing to install and many other little items now used by a few shops

Sounds like you may have crushed the Pilot bearing Or rail road tracked the input shaft. This will drag the input shaft while the car is running making it hard to put into gear Much like if there was air in the system only the clutch will feel fine. I am guessing it shifts fine while the Engine is off?

The list of things that can cause this also includes a bent disk(did you at any time let the trans hang trying to get it started?) and not lubrcating the Splines.

Good luck man!
Old 07-24-2006, 12:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
Mark is correct. Every car I have seen that some one else put a clutch in needed an input shaft When I did Jon's car I came up with several changes for doing to install and many other little items now used by a few shops

Sounds like you may have crushed the Pilot bearing Or rail road tracked the input shaft. This will drag the input shaft while the car is running making it hard to put into gear Much like if there was air in the system only the clutch will feel fine. I am guessing it shifts fine while the Engine is off?

The list of things that can cause this also includes a bent disk(did you at any time let the trans hang trying to get it started?) and not lubrcating the Splines.

Good luck man!
When I had it out the second time to fix actuator, i checked the pilot bearing and it seemed fine, wasn't pushed out or damaged that I could tell.
The clutch plate I could not see anything, but you really can't.
The input shaft went in smoothly with no problem the second time, so shaft and clutch disc are ok? I hope?
I never let the weight hang on disc, however, I lost my angle on intial install and was trying to force it together, prob harder than I should have?

Ok, today I notice that when shifting into gear and then starting car it wants to creep. This also happens when at a light. Reverse can not be had unless car is off and it also starts moving the car as soon as started with clutch in all the way. Does this indicate air in clutch and thus not engauging enough? Seems it indicates a non mech issue?
Once moving it will shift with clutch but kinda hard, no grinding though, yet.

What ya think. Do you have time to look at it if not a bleeding issue? I think if you think it might be a bleed issue that I will stop at TT and see if they can bleed system before the weekend. If this dosen't do it then I need a trans/clutch doctor, as I have no time to mess with it again. I need to race at least once this summer.
Robert

Edit: One more thing, when I was bleeding the slave (as you know how hard the bleeder is to get to) I may have been opening and closing way to slow. It was so hard to get to, that when I finally got it open, i would then have a hard time getting it closed. So, maybe I was not really getting all the air each time but rather letting some back in?

Last edited by Robert56; 07-24-2006 at 12:43 PM.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would start with getting it bleed
Old 07-24-2006, 07:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
I would start with getting it bleed
Thanks, George at Turbo tech is going to bleed it tomorrow. Hopefully that's all that's wrong.
Robert
Old 07-24-2006, 08:26 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
I have no idea. But from what I understand, those Vettes are very easy to put back together.....WRONGLY! Probably why Ellis has so many of the racer crowd knocking on his door.

I can vouch for that............that's why I'll drive the 1 1/2 hour drive to visit Ellis.

Plus its good to see that onry bastard every now and again.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:29 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Robert56
Thanks, George at Turbo tech is going to bleed it tomorrow. Hopefully that's all that's wrong.
Robert
Let us know how it goes.

I wish the best Robert, and give me a call if you need any help!
Old 07-24-2006, 10:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 00Vette
Let us know how it goes.

I wish the best Robert, and give me a call if you need any help!
I was going to do it myself, but hey, I am a lazy bastage sometimes. My frugal ways sometimes need to go out the window. how's your stuff coming. I was going to stop by Sunday but cause it wasn't shifting real great I didn't want to push it.
Robert

Quick Reply: Tranny question for Ellis or anyone