Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Magnolia Audio-Video in Everett is closing shop

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 05:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Magnolia Audio-Video in Everett is closing shop

Magnolia Audio-Video on Everett Mall Way is closing shop in May and just about everything in the store including plasma TV's, car audio, and home theater stuff is on sale. In addition there are a bunch of demo products in the store at pretty good discounts. If you're looking for something along these lines, now is a good time to swing in there and look around...
Old 03-11-2007, 05:08 PM
10 Second Club

I wish I had the money!! Sounds like a good time to have some extra cash lying around.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Weird.....was just in there on Tuesday......no signs. But based on their prices, they can afford to drop a LOT off most everything!!!
Old 03-11-2007, 05:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Rottluver
Weird.....was just in there on Tuesday......no signs. But based on their prices, they can afford to drop a LOT off most everything!!!
I've been a Magnolia customer since the mid-1980's and they have always done good by me. If you walk in and pay retail, then, yes, it can be pricey. But, if you know how to work it you can get yourself some excellent deals

Also, don't underestimate the value of their local repair shop (versus having to ship your brand new subwoofer that you saved $100 on back to the OEM at your cost when there's a problem). Best thing to do is find one of their salesmen that has been there for a while and knows his **** and let them work for you.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Fulton 1
I've been a Magnolia customer since the mid-1980's and they have always done good by me. If you walk in and pay retail, then, yes, it can be pricey. But, if you know how to work it you can get yourself some excellent deals

Also, don't underestimate the value of their local repair shop (versus having to ship your brand new subwoofer that you saved $100 on back to the OEM at your cost when there's a problem). Best thing to do is find one of their salesmen that has been there for a while and knows his **** and let them work for you.
I wasn't condeming the place, just saying that the prices they list are not cheap.......didn't know retail stores like that allowed for "bargaining" about price.......as for electronics, I do ok price-wise myself without going there. But more power to you and anyone else who uses them and enjoys their sevice.

Sorry this one is going away for y'all.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Rottluver
I wasn't condeming the place, just saying that the prices they list are not cheap.......didn't know retail stores like that allowed for "bargaining" about price.......as for electronics, I do ok price-wise myself without going there. But more power to you and anyone else who uses them and enjoys their sevice.

Sorry this one is going away for y'all.
Its cool, Rott. I understand what you're saying. Basically, the way they do things is that once you become a "preferred customer" (ie spend a certain amount of money there) then you get deals from time-to-time that are not advertised. Its sort of like the Craftsman Club. For example, when you were in there on Tuesday they were actually offering 10% discount plus interest-free financing until January 2009 on any purchase over $999.

However, the best deals that I have gotten over the years have been on demo stuff. For example, I picked up an M&K MX-350 sub not too long ago for a 35% discount just because it had been a demo (and if you're familiar with M&K - well when they were still in business anyway - you know how hard it is to find a deal on these things). They still offer the same warranty and service as if it had been purchased new. I would say that over the last 15-20 years I have gotten most of my stuff this way and saved a good chunk. Plus, you usually get at least 6-months interest free financing and sometimes as much as 18-24 months.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:45 PM
Tech Addict

Demo sales are the only way to fly at Magnolia. I've got a Denon AVR-3802 that I paid ~550 for at one of their Demo sales, it was listed for 1199
Old 03-11-2007, 08:35 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, I got a $1400 Kenwood Deck that I bought on closeout there for $700. There can be some good deals to be had there for sure. The Bellevue store is closing its Car Audio section as well.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Rokko
Demo sales are the only way to fly at Magnolia. I've got a Denon AVR-3802 that I paid ~550 for at one of their Demo sales, it was listed for 1199
Yup, in similar fashion I got a Denon AVR-3600DTS that retailed for $1899 for $899 on demo. It was the last one they had in the system and so they had to pull it up from one of their Oregon stores so it took a couple weeks to get here and the remote was missing the battery cover. Other than that its been going strong for about several years now.

A long time ago when I was in high-school, we used to pretty much hang out at the Lynnwood store and, since we knew several of the guys that worked there, they would actually hold car audio stuff for us ahead of time that was going on demo. I remember picking up one of the old-school Nakamichi tape decks on demo for half price plus free installation. Can't remember what the model number was anymore, but it was the one that used that badass 3-head design with the Dragon heads. God, I'm dating myself here...
Old 03-11-2007, 09:35 PM
Tech Addict

Can't go wrong with Denon products. Specially at over 50% off!

I bought my first home stereo at Pacific Stereo. Remember that store?
Old 03-11-2007, 10:39 PM
TECH Veteran

I hear ya Fulton.......kinda got the feel that it was a high end place more then Circuit Screw-you City or Worst Buy.......and me being in sweats and a flannel shirt prolly didn't help my cause there either.

Sucks that they are closing up though......there are others, yes? Are they staying open?

And I for Denon stuff.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:58 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Never thought I say it but I agree with Rott. I've shopped there before and will never spend money in a high end audio store again. NEVER ! I buy all my stuff from ebay now and save the most money that way.

Yes I understand after the staff has deemed you worthy of a break in price you can get a better deal (not a great deal just a better deal) at a hi end store but why play that bullshit game in the first place. There is no need what so ever. NONE. I dropped $1400 on my system by shopping smartly on ebay. Its was over $3500 at Magnolia or Car Toys. I saved $800 on installation charges as well.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:18 AM
TECH Addict

News flash for ya: Magnoila Hi-Fi is owned by Best Buy.

I remember my parents shopping at the original Magnolia location (go figure) in the '70s. I would kill to have the McIntosh equipment my dad bought from them.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by howierd42
News flash for ya: Magnoila Hi-Fi is owned by Best Buy.

I remember my parents shopping at the original Magnolia location (go figure) in the '70s. I would kill to have the McIntosh equipment my dad bought from them.
And? Chrysler & Mercedes are owned by the same company..doesn't make me wanna shop at a Chrysler dealer any more then it did before........nor will it stop me from making fun of them.

McIntosh makes some awesome stuff, but for someone like me, who isn't that into high end electronics and does just fine with stock (car) or average home stuff, places like that just don't do anything for me.......I can think of a lot of better ways to spend my money then on some of the stuff they have there.

Just my $.02
Old 03-12-2007, 03:55 AM
TECH Addict

They are actually dropping all of the mobile car audio/video side. If anyone needs anything I have a good friend that is the head of it and I get his discount and tax free...
Old 03-12-2007, 08:14 AM
10 Second Club

The thing Magnolia sells that you couldn't find any other place is high quality audiofile gear. (now you can find most of it on-line) I bought all of my music stuff from them (Carver, Klipsch, etc) because I like listening to it before I buy it. My ears like what THEY like, not what the guys that write for magazines like.

And I also had one of the sales people that would give me their best prices. But I haven't been there lately. Good **** doesn't break, and I have everything I want. I may have to check this out to see what's in Audio Room 1 or 2 that I can't resist....
Old 03-12-2007, 12:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Yes I understand after the staff has deemed you worthy of a break in price you can get a better deal (not a great deal just a better deal) at a hi end store but why play that bullshit game in the first place. There is no need what so ever. NONE. I dropped $1400 on my system by shopping smartly on ebay. Its was over $3500 at Magnolia or Car Toys. I saved $800 on installation charges as well.
This isn't really intended to spark a debate. Everyone is welcome to do whatever they want as far as I'm concerned. If you have a way to save a buck and it works for you, then that's great. My point here was simply to post up the information in case anyone was interested in getting some stuff for cheap. Feel free to disregard the information if you see fit to do so.

Quick Reply: Magnolia Audio-Video in Everett is closing shop