Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Montana people...Road to the sun/Glacier NP?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 07:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Montana people...Road to the sun/Glacier NP?

Has anyone from or around Montana driven up the road to the sun in Glacier National Park? I was wondering if the road is suitable for F-bodys. It looks like it from the web site, but I want to hear it from someone who has done it.

-Dan
Old 03-11-2007, 08:12 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01LS6SS
Has anyone from or around Montana driven up the road to the sun in Glacier National Park? I was wondering if the road is suitable for F-bodys. It looks like it from the web site, but I want to hear it from someone who has done it.

-Dan
I went to the summit from the west side 2 years ago in my C5 - no problem.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:33 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NWDragRacer
I went to the summit from the west side 2 years ago in my C5 - no problem.
Thanks man, did you stay at any hotels near there?
Old 03-19-2007, 09:14 PM
Teching In

Going to the sun road is alot of fun, unless the tourists and their motorhomes are out, then it's a nice slow leisurely drive.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll have to let us know if there's any glacier left to see. The last time I was there, ten years ago or so, I took a bunch of pictures etc.. I then showed them to my family (grew up in Montana), and they were shocked how much it had depleted since they saw it last. I remember as a kid growing up, and hearing people talk about that road, and how it would only be open for about a 4-8 weeks out of the year from all the snow!!

Mike
Old 03-22-2007, 09:32 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01LS6SS

-Dan
I live right next to Glacier Park. The road is paved & well kept. The water falls make the road wet in places. They usually don't open up the top until mid summer.

Lodging is fairly spendy in the area. Let me know if you need any additional info.

Shane
Old 03-22-2007, 10:44 AM
10 Second Club

When I was on it 10 years ago, the road was in very good condition. We stayed at the campsite next to the lake on the west side. Lots of bear in that area! And motorhomes.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:34 PM
Teching In

Code4, hey where you from, I live in Conrad. You should check into the Cut Bank Fun Days they have in Aug., there's a car show and some 1/8 mile street races held at the airport. Last year there was 125 cars in the show and more than 50 racing.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:02 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Hwystar
Code4, hey where you from, I live in Conrad. You should check into the Cut Bank Fun Days they have in Aug., there's a car show and some 1/8 mile street races held at the airport. Last year there was 125 cars in the show and more than 50 racing.
Did we race? Are you the white T/A? I had the red 01 on N20. We live north of Whitefish.

Shane
Old 03-23-2007, 10:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by code4
Did we race? Are you the white T/A? I had the red 01 on N20. We live north of Whitefish.

Shane
Yes that was me, I figured out who you were after I asked where you were from. Are you going to make it to Cut Bank this year? We're trying to get some races here in Conrad, the first week of June during the Whoop-Up trail days(yeehaw). They will be basically the same thing. Now we just have to convince the airport auth.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:44 PM
9 Second Club

[QUOTE=Hwystar]Yes that was me, I figured out who you were after I asked where you were from. Are you going to make it to Cut Bank this year? We're trying to get some races here in Conrad, the first week of June during the Whoop-Up trail days(yeehaw). They will be basically the same thing. Now we just have to convince the airport auth.[/QUO

Yes I am going to cut bank, it was really fun last year. Keep me posted on Conrad, there are several guys/gals in our local car club that are dying to find a place to race. We might try helena this year. They supposedly do a similar show/race.

Keep in touch.

Shane
Old 03-23-2007, 10:53 PM
Teching In

I heard that there was a lot of cars showed up for the helena races, sounded like a lot of people only got 1 run in, but you know how rumors are.

Quick Reply: Montana people...Road to the sun/Glacier NP?