Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Anyone ever do this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 02:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone ever do this?

Got a walbro 225 on the way, decided in tank would be better than the stock 'must cut hole in floor' pump. Keeping the stock injectors (flow is round 24# clean), need to replace the line unless someone has a good method of making sure its pure clean.

Anyone ever just put an in tank in and leave the decommissioned stock one in place?
I'm being lazy and don't want to tear that much into it to get it running. Eventually I'll get that ripped out but for now I just want to route around the crapped stock one.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:04 PM
TECH Addict

Am we confused?
Old 03-19-2007, 12:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's so easy to replace the stock one that you might as well just do it so you don't have to go in there again.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:47 AM
TECH Regular

are you talking about an in line ?? I think the two combined would do the trick if so, Im told you want to mount it close to the tank as it is better at pushing then pulling. ~Guy
Old 03-19-2007, 01:39 AM
Launching!

Why the F would you cut a hole in the floor? Drop the tank.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:22 AM
10 Second Club

The Walbro replaces the stock pump, so you will need to remove it. Sorry....
Old 03-19-2007, 04:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
The Walbro replaces the stock pump, so you will need to remove it. Sorry....
You can tell Santa has been married longer...
Thanks.

I figured as much but as stated, being lazy and super busy trying to get the house mods wrapped up. I just know once its torn down the dremel is going into overtime as well as Grandpa's super old but rock solid wheel buffer/polisher. Yes, the tank has to be dropped anyway.

As for cutting a hole - some have done that because the pump on an LT1 is the worst to get to. Hoping to improve that weird flaw as to placement since far too many intially said "just cut a hole in the floor!"
Old 03-19-2007, 05:11 PM
TECH Addict

Dropping the tank is really not that big of a deal. If you haven't ever done it before, figure about an hour and a half. With air tools you can easily get it dropped in 45 minutes, and installation takes the same. Cutting a hole in the trunk I'm not really sure how much time that will save you, plus, then you have a hole in the trunk.

Why don't you mention to Ellis that you are thinking about cutting a hole in the floor ;-)
Old 03-19-2007, 06:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Poik
Dropping the tank is really not that big of a deal. If you haven't ever done it before, figure about an hour and a half. With air tools you can easily get it dropped in 45 minutes, and installation takes the same. Cutting a hole in the trunk I'm not really sure how much time that will save you, plus, then you have a hole in the trunk.

Why don't you mention to Ellis that you are thinking about cutting a hole in the floor ;-)
And unless you know exactly where you are cutting in the trunk, you could end up with a larger hole than planned. Kind of what happened with me and my driver side window motor!

The f-body is probably different than the FWD cars I am use to changing pumps on but usually there are two bars that hold the tank in place, you loosen those and disconnect any lines and it falls down, twist off the metal lock ring on top and there is your pump. The ones I have seen have all been internal tank pumps.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:04 PM
TECH Veteran

I'm not cutting anything anywhere! but for some odd reason there are a lot of fbody owners that do

Its a little more than dropping the tank...I think it took Ellis and JimBob awhile to do the same thing I need to and it was at 'the shop'. Half the garage is full of my carpentry tools right now so its a damn mess to have the car tools in the shed!

Any good tried and true method of cleaning the injectors? I'm not big on seafoam...
Old 03-20-2007, 12:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by GEARHED
I'm not big on seafoam...
Why?
Old 03-20-2007, 12:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When i did the the pump on mine I cut the floor and just made a little sheet metal cover and then a rubber gasket and some self taping screws, pull the carpet back over the top and you will never know its there, plus if you have to change the pump again then its much easier to pull 4 screws then drop the whol tank. but to each his own
Old 03-20-2007, 01:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL,, that "hole" debate has been going on for years. Personally, if the trap door is constructed correctly it really isn't that big of a deal IMO. Other cars use trap door access points for the pumps. It's a pity GM didn't design it that way to begin with...........

Mike
Old 03-21-2007, 05:52 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Trapdoor FTW!!!

Just measure it right and it will come out perfect. At least mine did.

Tony.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:16 PM
Launching!

I've done few fuel pumps on LT1 cars. It IS harder than say a Fox body Mustang (30 minutes...MAYBE), but not that hard. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever do this?