Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Home from the track!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Home from the track!

Went down a little early today to watch the guys doing the school before lapping started. They all did real good and the slowest one was.... Anyway I will let them all talk for themselves. I had a awesome time but these GY D3's suck on the track. I had the assend sliding out on me damn near everywhere. Looks like I will be buying some new wheels and use these for track days.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:29 PM
Tech Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took the day off and went down, it was great to see everybody. I am going to have to give that a go myself after I get a big assed trans cooler installed. Looks like a lot of fun. I got quick clip of you leading the two silver Z's down the front straight Eric. PM me an email address and I'll shoot it over to you. It was right before you drifted out of 3 and let the other two go by then the c5z got loose coming up the hill on the back side.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:09 PM
TECH Veteran

I know I wasn't the slowest one in my group, anyhow. On one lapping session, I went out first in my group, and passed each of the other 6 cars during that half hour... so I was flying relatively speaking. I would have continued to drive a lot faster on the second session of the day, but my stock C4 brakes just weren't up to the task... they got real hot and soft (not to mention smelly) and the instructor had me back off the throttle more since braking power was compromised.

The third session it was raining quite a bit, so the track was slick... still, I pushed it, and the car never lost it, and I never lost confidence in it's ability to adhere to the road.

I have to say... I actually have a new-found respect for my slow *** C4. Straight-away speed isn't what it was built for, and even in stock suspension and brake form, I could tell it's corner carving and road coursing that is it's bread and butter.

Now then... on to get me some better brakes, shocks, and sway bars.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:37 PM
11 Second Club

I was definately not the slowest

that lotus kicked ***
Old 04-10-2007, 10:48 PM
TECH Addict

The Cav I was driving was undoubtedly the slowest one out there. My instructer would not let me get into it when I started to get comfortable (probably a good thing). But that third trip out the track was too wet and it did make a mess of turn 3 .

Probably did not help that the car was my first experience with a manual transmission. (Yes, that smell on the track was my clutch.)
Old 04-10-2007, 11:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It was great to see so many from our site. I'm putting together a little video from the footage my wife took. It's focused on me, but there's at least a couple seconds with the Silver C5Z(don't recall his name, but he says he's on the site), Dean(Silver C6Z), Russ(Blue Lotus), Howard(Blue Cavalier) and Jason(Turquois C4).

Highlights of the video include my spin out on turn 5a, during the rain. You can hear the pitter-patter of the rain-drops on my wife's umbrella. Once I have the video formatted I'll upload it.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

BTW, Russ, who all did you get lap times for, and what were their best times? I know you said I was faster than 2 minutes, but I'm curious how much slower I am than the Corvettes.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got no where near my personal best that I know of (Jacquie filmed it) last year of 1:46. Without issues I can consistently stay around 1:48. However, I was not even going to get close to that today.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I completely understand Eric. I'm sure whatever time Russ got from me today is an easy 3-4 behind my best on a warm, dry day.

*Question for the Mechanics*
The last 10 laps or so that I did I was getting what I thought at the time to be a light clunking. It would only happen when under load. I then felt it on the drive home, but realized it wasn't a clunk at all, but a hesitation. It didn't seem to happen in low gear, but was consistent in 4th-5th gear. I'm thinking I got some debris in the fuel filter that isn't enough to notice when the fuel is flowing in high volume(low gear), but shows up when the flow slows down(low gear). Can anyone with expertise tell me if I'm on the right track?
Old 04-11-2007, 01:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's a YouTube link for anyone interested.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqYLcYq14wU
Old 04-11-2007, 01:55 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Crisisman
Looks like a blast!
Old 04-11-2007, 03:27 AM
TECH Addict

Wish I could be out there. I had a blast when I took out my C5.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Damn! I need to make on of these and do the rental I suppose - wouldn't matter what they put me in - I can drive it. Reminds me of Race Track Rd in NC where we drove everything on the planet in a lapping mode, it was named that for good reason.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:42 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by ram-it
I got no where near my personal best that I know of (Jacquie filmed it) last year of 1:46. Without issues I can consistently stay around 1:48. However, I was not even going to get close to that today.
I had you lapping at 1:55ish
Old 04-11-2007, 09:53 AM
10 Second Club

That was a kick, no doubt about it. I think my car probably had some of the slowest lap times. I wasn't sure of how hard I could push it thru some of the corners. And every time I tried opening it up it spun the tires or the instructor told me to slow down. I did better on the last session. Until I found a blue Cavi sideways in front of me in 3A.

What really "hurt" was the time I had my line coming into the straight away with Eric & the 2 silver Z06s on my tail & just as I was about to open it up the instructor told me to pull over & let them pass.

They do a good job of teaching you just how well our cars respond to bad conditions. I never thought you could be going 60 mph, hammer the brakes & whip the wheel left & then right & stop straight.

But all-in-all I was happy with how the car performed. It certainly handles, brakes & corners better than I thought it might. I never got close to losing it. With stickier tires & some seat time I might even be able to have some fun out there.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:41 PM
TECH Veteran

I was a little skeptical of how my Bridgestone Fuzion ZRi tires would do out there when pushed to the limit, especially on a wet track... but I never lost it, the car stuck to the road pretty damn well no matter what the conditions were. Overall, I was very pleased with the performance.

And Eric, I have to admit, you were right... it is a lot more fun for me than drag racing. However, it is a TON more expensive, so I certainly won't be giving up drag racing any time soon. But I'll probably do a couple of lapping days a year as well.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Crisisman
That video is so cool! I laughed at the part where you spun and then the camera operator comments. hehe

Sure looks like fun. I can believe Tranzor, as I'm afraid I would like that too!

Lmao @ WAHUSKER getting told to slow down.. I would have a hard time following those directions too!

Old 04-11-2007, 02:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Wait, they tell you to slow down? Oh well, guess I won't be going afterall
Old 04-11-2007, 02:52 PM
TECH Resident

I had a blast!

Before I got there I figured that I knew how to drive really well. Now I realize that there is so much more to driving than just getting in and putting your foot down on the gas and going fast.

Lapping for me is WAY more fun than drag racing. Yes, drag racing is alot of fun, but actually driving fast is more my cup of tea.

Thanks to everyone that was there. You guys made the day even more fun. I look foward to getting back out on that track and improving my drivig skills.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Is Skip Nichols still instructing out there?

Quick Reply: Home from the track!