Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

How long do I have to wait, what to use for my new paint

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 04:01 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How long do I have to wait, what to use for my new paint

It's been a month I thin since getting my car back (all new paint) so it's ok to wash and I think wax now. Or is it? how long do I need to wait before waxing it? What should I use to protect it?
Old 04-24-2007, 04:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when my car was repainted they told me to wait 60-90 days max just to be safe, but i had metallic flake and all that good crap as well that might affect it.... In your case i would think you would be good to go
Old 04-24-2007, 04:24 PM
On The Tree

I very much suggest Zaino polish and not use wax. Your info says you car is black. I have a black car and my car has had Zaino since new and it is almost 10 years old. Trust me, your car will look great and will keep looking great for a long time. Take a look at this. There are pics of my car in this thread. Zaino polish I used a clay bar and polished my black Formula this past weekend.

Contact the guys at Zaino. They will be glad to help you with your questions on time frame.

Just my opinion but a strong suggestion.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:53 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
It's been a month I thin since getting my car back (all new paint) so it's ok to wash and I think wax now. Or is it? how long do I need to wait before waxing it? What should I use to protect it?

Wash it now with good quality car was solution.

DuPont says "Do not wax for the first 120 days after painting"
Old 04-25-2007, 02:20 PM
Banned

I did do a search but it's kind of messed up with the google thing. I didnt find much helpful info. Most of the stuff said 60 days so I wanted to make sure and see what some of you guys, who know better, would do. I've got some original dawn to wash it with is what I thought I found that the articles said. Like they said to not use turtle wax soap or anything like that as it leaves a residue?

ok now I read something that says to not use dish soap. Ok thats a few more saying no to dish soap so its a mild formula car soap. motor trend likes blue coralis

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 04-25-2007 at 02:48 PM.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:03 PM
TECH Resident

After I had the front of my car repqinted I used Zaino on it with no negative side effects. There is something about the ingredients in it that makes it safe to use on fresh paint.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:20 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I used Zaino on my Formula about a month after I had it painted, and it looks friggin awesome now.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:15 PM
Banned

zkit-1 on the way
Old 04-26-2007, 12:17 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
ok now I read something that says to not use dish soap. Ok thats a few more saying no to dish soap so its a mild formula car soap. motor trend likes blue coralis
Dishsoap isn't recomended, only because it strips the wax off the finish.

Old 04-26-2007, 10:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mikey 97Z M6
Dishsoap isn't recomended, only because it strips the wax off the finish.

Have heard it will eat into the clear coat slowly also. When my dad bought his Grand Am new in 89' he used dish soap and would wax it every other month, after he would wax it he wouldn't use any soap because it would strip the wax and leave weird marks everywhere he said so he would just wet the car and dry it with a towel, and often use the same towel for a week+, left all sorts of scratches on the car.

Myself I get the Mcguire's NXT car wash soap, the blue stuff. No complaints yet and leaves a pretty color in the water that makes it look like kool aid... but it doesn't taste like kool aid... don't ask!

Edit - Forgot to add, when my GTP nose was repainted after the wife hit a deer the body shop told me it was ok to clean it, but not ok to wax it. The fumes are still being given off of the paint is what I was told, waxing it would cause bubbles in it, similar to the roof on the F-body with the blue underneath venting fumes up into the paint and causing little bubbles. Also are known as "fish eyes" I have been told, they are all over the hood of my TA.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:54 AM
Banned

ok the Z-7 is like crack. Once you start using it you cant stop.