Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Looking for some mod recommendations..

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 03:50 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Looking for some mod recommendations..

Okay, so I have some more budget for mods, and I think my next step performance-wise is to start working on the induction setup, and if I'm gonna be changing the intake, I want to do a cam at the same time.. I also am gonna buy some new wheels / tires, and SFCs...

So I'm figuring that I'd end up buying a throttle body, cam, and intake combination. I figure if I'm gonna change the intake, I might as well change the cam while I've got it all apart. I also figured that I'd do pulleys at that time, also.

Anything else I should consider doing while I have it apart?

The car right now has a bone stock motor. Performance mods I have for it are Kooks LTs & catted y-pipe, GMMG catback, lid, 3.42 gears, and a Yank SS3200 converter. I also have a nitrous kit I'm going to put on and am planning on running a 100 shot.

My goal is to get the car into the 11-second range, but I don't really want to go faster than 11.50, because I don't want to put a cage in it. I would not have any opposition to leaving the nitrous kit off the car and building it to run 11's N/A if that would be possible.

Any recommendations on throttle body / cam / intake combinations?
Old 05-18-2007, 04:22 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about forced induction? Tom in the PNWCC has a s/c on his 2002 Camaro and he's super happy with it.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think you have a long ways to go before you'll get a lot of benefit out of an intake. They're expensive and don't get that much gain.

I know its not as glamorous as more power, but I'm sure you can find some more time by modifiying your suspension/traction/converter/gear ratio.

What kind of 60' times are you running?
What tires?
Old 05-18-2007, 04:24 PM
Tech Addict

Get your TB ported.

Fast intake. Or, have Cory port an LS6 intake.

Cam to match your goals and rpm range. Have one custom ground by Cam Motion.

Of course an oil pump, timing set, etc....all that jazz that goes with a cam swap.

Maybe replace your rockers too??
Old 05-18-2007, 04:31 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Originally Posted by VinceTrifecta
How about forced induction? Tom in the PNWCC has a s/c on his 2002 Camaro and he's super happy with it.
Too much money. I've got some extra budget, but not that much budget.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:35 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Originally Posted by Ackattack1
I think you have a long ways to go before you'll get a lot of benefit out of an intake. They're expensive and don't get that much gain.
An LS6 intake would definitely be an improvement over what I have right now, no question. I've got a stock LS1 intake on there right now.

I know its not as glamorous as more power, but I'm sure you can find some more time by modifiying your suspension/traction/converter/gear ratio.
Doubtful... I've already done a shitload of suspension mods.. my suspension is almost entirely aftermarket... Only thing in the rear that is still stock is the torque arm. I wouldn't go higher than 3.73 gears on an auto... and I already have a converter also. I have no traction issues whatsoever right now, I can floor the car from a dead stop and it has a tough time breaking traction. I can't think of anything I could do to the suspension that would gain me time.

I've got enough traction that I could add considerable power and still hook pretty good... and it's definitely time to be adding power.

Take a look, it's all aftermarket..

What kind of 60' times are you running?
What tires?
1.75 to 1.8x times... Mickey Thompson E/T Street Radials.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A large Cam I would think would net you what you are wanting to see out of the car. You have the auto so the rear end shouldn't me to much of a concern I would think.

What are you running currently? Just have bolt ons right? I am sure with a 100 shot you could get a low 12 or high 11 no problem.

If the option does ever become available, go with some sort of FI, TTi is right in your backyard anyway.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:00 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Car ran 12.86 @ 106 mph, and that's without the LTs and y-pipe.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

I didn't know you had all the suspension done, and forgot about the LS1 intake...

I'd say with 1.75 60', that more gear or converter would help.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Shoot there is a LS6 intake for 350 locally, takes about 50 minutes if that to install easy HP.

I think you should by my wheels, Fikse's will make the car much faster looking

After that I would look at a cam setup over anything, I think that is the best bang for the buck and is an easy swap on the LS1 the intake doesn't even need to come off...

I'd look at a cam in the low 230's duration and high 500's on lift and 114. I always wished I would have picked up a F13 on a 114 when I was stock cubed...But I'm no expert I would recommend on going moderate. I've always wondered if that extra 10rwhp that you may get with the giant cams is worth the headache (obviously this is a generalization)

Bobby
Old 05-18-2007, 06:17 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Originally Posted by 93TAWicked1
I think you should by my wheels, Fikse's will make the car much faster looking
Yeah, but they also make my wallet look much more empty looking, too. I think if I was gonna get Fikses I'd want FM/5s, but they're way too spendy for me. I'm planning on getting anthricite colored TT2s like GMMG puts on the Blackbirds, and putting dark silver Blackbird stripes on the car.

The LS6 intake already sold, too.. I missed out on it.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:25 PM
TECH Regular

Your 100 shot is gonna put you damn close to 11.50 as the car sits now.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

I agree, a 100rwhp shot will easily knock a second off your ET. This is exactly why I went the nitorus route, cause I can be a cheap bastard. I figured a 5 dollar jet could get much more hp than any bolt on, and thus my reason for not having headers. i think with your long tubes and a small shot you would have your goals at hand. But you probably are looking for more power n/a for bracket racing, and not going to spray while doing said bracket racing?
Robert
Old 05-18-2007, 08:58 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Originally Posted by Robert56
I agree, a 100rwhp shot will easily knock a second off your ET. This is exactly why I went the nitorus route, cause I can be a cheap bastard. I figured a 5 dollar jet could get much more hp than any bolt on, and thus my reason for not having headers. i think with your long tubes and a small shot you would have your goals at hand. But you probably are looking for more power n/a for bracket racing, and not going to spray while doing said bracket racing?
Robert
That's pretty much it... I won't spray it unless I'm doing time only runs, and in the bracket I'll run it N/A... I'm pretty sure I can hit 11's on juice with what I have, but I'd like to get it down to at least low 12's N/A...
Old 05-18-2007, 10:01 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by DrEvyl
That's pretty much it... I won't spray it unless I'm doing time only runs, and in the bracket I'll run it N/A... I'm pretty sure I can hit 11's on juice with what I have, but I'd like to get it down to at least low 12's N/A...
You'd be well into the 11's with a 100 shot. Come on man, I'm waiting for you to get after it so we can have another go at grudge drags.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:18 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Originally Posted by Rokko
You'd be well into the 11's with a 100 shot. Come on man, I'm waiting for you to get after it so we can have another go at grudge drags.
I'm workin on it.. Probably is I'm buying parts faster than I can get them on the car.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DrEvyl
I'm workin on it.. Probably is I'm buying parts faster than I can get them on the car.
We will be fixing that extremely soon

I am with the Cam, Cory LS6 intake and a nice Plate kit with Wide band comander in charge.
Old 05-19-2007, 03:19 AM
11 Second Club

Zeke,

if you want,
whenever you get your nitrous kit, I will trade you a PURPLE bottle for whatever you get in your kit,

I'm pretty sure it's a Zex bottle, dosn't have any stickers on it
Old 05-19-2007, 03:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv

I am with the Cam, Cory LS6 intake and a nice Plate kit with Wide band comander in charge.
everyones going to be running the plate kit up in the North West
Old 05-19-2007, 09:29 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sidewayz28
everyones going to be running the plate kit up in the North West

We like to run the best up here

Quick Reply: Looking for some mod recommendations..