Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

throwing a TPS code but only sometimes help?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 05:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default throwing a TPS code but only sometimes help?

Ok so sometimes my car runs great and sometimes I get an SES light which HP Tuner says it is my throttle position sensor low voltage or something like that and it runs like ***. then all of a sudden its fine again. what could be causing this? could it be a low battery from sitting so long or a short or could it be the TPS just slowly going bad? ~Guy
Old 05-31-2007, 11:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check your throttle body stops
Old 06-01-2007, 02:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay I have the same problem. My proble is due to the fact I have a fast TB and when the shaft that the blade is on moves over time it wears. It ends up makeing the holes bigger and I have play in the blade. So from time to time I have thrown codes. I'm going to buy a new TB but until then ont the TPS I cut out the screw holes allowing me ti adjust it. I can do this by twisting it ledt or right etc. I have not had a problem since then. Just an Idea. Also try another TB and switch the TPS and you can narrow the problem down.

Thomas
Old 06-01-2007, 07:36 PM
TECH Regular

good info thanks guys. yea may its something to do with my self port n pollish job but its been on with no probs for a couple years now. thanks again. ~Guy
Old 06-01-2007, 08:01 PM
Teching In

sounds like you have a bad spot in the tps, or maby a pour connection. disconnect the wiring harnness turn the key to the run position. there should be ground and a 5 volt refrence signal from the pcm, ( check it with a voltmeter) as your doing this be sure to wiggle the wires to check for bad spots in the wires. if all this checks out it's a bad spot in the tps.95%.