Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Redmond Speedtrap: 520 & 51st

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 12:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Redmond Speedtrap: 520 & 51st

This was running through the MS Drivers DL, but someone was able to snap off a shot of the trooper with a gun, chair and power supply camping from above. This is a common speed trap but the first time I've seen it from the bridge side.

Oh how great it would be if someone could muster up the courage to speed by with a bucket of water and short out that gun.

Even driving by with a Supertone in his ear would provide entertainment.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:33 PM
TECH Resident

Oh man, I so want to go for a drive with a water bucket right now, that dude looks too comfortable.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good thing he's wearing his hat. We wouldn't want the poor guy to get a sunburn just sitting there.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Someone photoshop a toilet in there!
Old 07-03-2007, 01:34 PM
12 Second Club

Man am I glad I take 85th now down into Redmond to work.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:05 PM
TECH Resident

Don't you just love those Men in Blue...

Attached Thumbnails Redmond Speedtrap: 520 & 51st-52051strf0a.jpg  

Last edited by 1BAD95Z; 07-03-2007 at 02:49 PM.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Tylerb59

This was running through the MS Drivers DL, but someone was able to snap off a shot of the trooper with a gun, chair and power supply camping from above. This is a common speed trap but the first time I've seen it from the bridge side.

Oh how great it would be if someone could muster up the courage to speed by with a bucket of water and short out that gun.

Even driving by with a Supertone in his ear would provide entertainment.
That isn't a speed trap, that is creative traffic enforcement. A speed trap, by definition is: The term speed trap refers to a point where a speed limit is arbitrarily set, not related to prevailing speeds or hidden dangers, and is strictly enforced by police.

Everyone wants to call a cop not in plain view a speed trap.

This IS a Holiday weekend/week.......since the dawn of time traffic enforcement has been known to go up during these periods.

And I would hate to see the person who goes by with the water.....assault on a police officer AND damage to government property. What a nasty way to start off a Holiday.

On a lighter note, everyone have a safe, happy and ticket free weekend.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They get sneaky... they do the same thing over in Spokane heading towards Seattle. Going up sunset hill the speed limit is 60 but everyone is pushing 70+ and when you come down it on the other side it drops from 70 to 60 and they are always hanging out around there.

Anymore, I just think, if I were a smokey... where would I be hiding out at, and most times it is a spot they will linger around.

The parks they drop the speed down to 20 from 30 and people blast through them, my wife said it is stupid to try to enforce it because everyone would notice a car in the middle of the park with lights on top of it, but I told her they wouldn't notice the motorcycle hanging out behind the tree.

Would be funny to go by with some water, just pray he might have a sense of humor, or take the photo shop to him!

Everyone drive safely today/tomorrow/however long you have off!
Old 07-03-2007, 03:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Rawr256
They get sneaky... they do the same thing over in Spokane heading towards Seattle. Going up sunset hill the speed limit is 60 but everyone is pushing 70+ and when you come down it on the other side it drops from 70 to 60 and they are always hanging out around there.

Anymore, I just think, if I were a smokey... where would I be hiding out at, and most times it is a spot they will linger around.

The parks they drop the speed down to 20 from 30 and people blast through them, my wife said it is stupid to try to enforce it because everyone would notice a car in the middle of the park with lights on top of it, but I told her they wouldn't notice the motorcycle hanging out behind the tree.

Would be funny to go by with some water, just pray he might have a sense of humor, or take the photo shop to him!

Everyone drive safely today/tomorrow/however long you have off!
Funny thing is, when I worked traffic, I would sit in a black & white, in the same place (street & spot on that block) at the same time on the same days and I STILL managed to write 25-30 tickets during a shift without batting an eye AND while handling other calls. And when I worked traffic, I wouldn't pull anyone over unless they were at 14+ over the speed limit. This was a residential street, with 2 schools, a church and LOTS of foot & bicycle traffic........so that meant I wouldn't start pulling anyone over until the radar read 39 (25 MPH zone). And I still got called a dick.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rottluver
Everyone wants to call a cop not in plain view a speed trap.
Plain view or not the picture above is a reasonable definition of a speed trap.

Similar to WSP using aircraft from above (hidden from reasonable view) they're enforcing the speed limit in the said point where the speed limit is arbitrarily set.

The purpose of this thread was to illustrate the interesting … well … creative enforcement of said speed trap. My comment regarding the expulsion a liquid substance towards the individual was said in a passive nature with a insinuation of comedic significance.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:56 PM
12 Second Club

We have the same thing going on over here...a state patrol officer sits on a bridge like in that picture and there are 4 or 5 cars a mile ahead on the side of the road waiting for the call he caught a speeder. Whatever it is legally defined as, it is a speed trap in my book. It is more of a easy reason to make some money, if they were trying to reduce speeding on the holidays then they would remain visible. I don't think there is a driver on the road that has never went over the speed limit, all it takes is being in the wrong place the wrong day with a little extra pressure on the gas. I've been lucky and haven't been pulled over in 10+ years.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Tylerb59
Plain view or not the picture above is a reasonable definition of a speed trap.

Similar to WSP using aircraft from above (hidden from reasonable view) they're enforcing the speed limit in the said point where the speed limit is arbitrarily set.

The purpose of this thread was to illustrate the interesting … well … creative enforcement of said speed trap. My comment regarding the expulsion a liquid substance towards the individual was said in a passive nature with a insinuation of comedic significance.
Reasonable definition......in your opinion, which is fine, I am not here to dispute anyone's opinions. But if you went to court after getting a ticket from the above situation, and tried to say it was a speed trap, the judge would kindly inform you that you were incorrect.......and the thing with air enforcement is that the freeway speeds are set via federal guidelines (among other factors) and the "prevailing speeds & hidden dangers" have nothing to do with why the speed limit is what it is on the freeways. In town is where that comes into play. Residential, commercial, school zones, etc are where that phrase is used to guide limits.

As for the jokes about water and what not, you say it as a joke, another says it half jokingly, pretty soon some genius (not referring to ANYONE in particular) decides to try that some day. I was just tossing out some potentially useful info. That's all. :shrug:
Old 07-03-2007, 09:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Rottluver
Reasonable definition......in your opinion, which is fine, I am not here to dispute anyone's opinions. But if you went to court after getting a ticket from the above situation, and tried to say it was a speed trap, the judge would kindly inform you that you were incorrect.......and the thing with air enforcement is that the freeway speeds are set via federal guidelines (among other factors) and the "prevailing speeds & hidden dangers" have nothing to do with why the speed limit is what it is on the freeways. In town is where that comes into play. Residential, commercial, school zones, etc are where that phrase is used to guide limits.

As for the jokes about water and what not, you say it as a joke, another says it half jokingly, pretty soon some genius (not referring to ANYONE in particular) decides to try that some day. I was just tossing out some potentially useful info. That's all. :shrug:
Someone needs a chill pill...You should have been a lawyer cause you sure like to argue..
Old 07-04-2007, 12:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 1BAD95Z
Someone needs a chill pill...You should have been a lawyer cause you sure like to argue..
I am "chilled" but thanks for your concern. And considering the number of people on here who "argue", I am near the end of the list of people that "like to". But whatever floats your boat.