Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Kudos to Accurate Engines

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 09:28 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kudos to Accurate Engines

I picked up my 6L from Mike yeterday & lugged them over to Ellis' to start assembling things. As I was scrounging thru the parts finding what had to go on first (windage tray, front & rear covers, etc) I discovered the oil pan gasket was missing.

Ellis had called Steph as I was grumbling , so he called Mike to see if he still had it. Luckily he did, and said he'd bring it with my heads that he had just finished. Then Mike told Ellis to check the deck on the block....

I had asked them to do this to find out why it blew a head gasket, but the heads that were on the motor were warped pretty bad, so I figured that's what it was. But as Mike was looking thru the bill he didn't see a charge for this item. Some shops would probably just ignore that & move on, but evidently Mike isn't that way.

Sure enough when Ellis mic'd it there was a .003" dip on both sides. So here it is 7PM on Friday night & I'm figuring I'm screwed, no truck this weekend! But no, Mike says bring it down & he'll do it himself right now! So back to Kirkland we go. Good thing we did too, cuz there was .005" between cyl 1 & 3, where the gasket blew!

Around 10:30 we are heading back with my motor done right. Now some people would be pissed about the having to make an extra trip. But I was VERY happy that Mike took the time to make sure it was right! He didn't want to charge me for it either because of my time. But I was more than happy to pay for it since I wanted the job done right, & the owner stayed late on Friday night & made sure I got it. We need more shops like this....THANKS MIKE!
Old 10-13-2007, 10:38 AM
11 Second Club

Great to hear that someone is stepping up to the plate where customer service is concerned. It is becoming more and more a rare occurance. Glad you got your motor, and are ready to re-install it.
By the way, What do you mean my heads are warped??? See you guys later today.
Old 10-13-2007, 11:22 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

great service!
Old 10-13-2007, 11:58 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This is the Reason we use Accurate. In the ten years I have used Mike this is the first issue. When I tell everyone he will step up to the plate I mean it. He also mentioned that if for any reason there was a crack that the Wet Mag missed he would prep and assemble the next one at his cost.

Just so happened I called while he was reviewing your bill. He was about to call us anyways

It is always nice to find people as **** about doing the job right the first time as we are and stepping up to the plate when it is not!
Old 10-13-2007, 09:37 PM
Launching!

Very Very good to hear.

I am going to give Mike a try very soon.

Gave a Tacoma shop a try on some heads and was very disappointed in the work and high costs for having to have the work redone a couple times as it was not satisfactory and they were surprised when I would not just accept it.

When I brought the heads in they swore they could do the new aluminum Gen III motors and blocks. Oh well live and learn.

Thanks Mark and Ellis for good info.

Perry
Old 10-15-2007, 07:31 AM
10 Second Club

Thanks to Ellis, Chad & Doug for your help over the weekend! After 3 LOOOONNNGGG days the Avi is up & running. The head gaskets seem to be holding so far.

But the bearings were toast in the motor, especially the cam bearings - at lesast 3 were into the copper! And I still have a lifter that makes noise ocassionaly. It made noise when I drove it the first time. But was quiet when Ellis & Chad took it for a torture drive. This morning it was quiet when I started it. But after I drove into Everett & got coffee it started making noise again, and then was quiet by the time I got to work. Weird!!!

I guess I'll drive it & see what happens. (no choice really) Ellis & I looked at the oil journels for the lifters & they certainly aren't perfect, but who knows what is good or bad on them. The oil pressure seems fine, 30+ at idle, 40 when rolling along, & 50-60 when accelerating. Not the first motor in this area to have this issue....we'll see.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:04 PM
Launching!

I bet the noise quits completely within a few weeks. Drive it like you stole it

That thing pulls pretty damn good for a huge brick on wheels!
Old 10-15-2007, 05:50 PM
11 Second Club

Really glad to hear that she is back on the road. Now we can get started on the T/A!!!
I'm sure she quieted down a bit once you got the exhaust hooked up. It was sounding like Ellis' car for a little while there. On a side note, I just ordered your line lock Chad.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:23 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by firehawk618
I bet the noise quits completely within a few weeks. Drive it like you stole it

That thing pulls pretty damn good for a huge brick on wheels!
It was quiet when I left work, started making noise as I pulled into Marysville, and then was quiet again by the time I got home. We will see, it will either go away, or GO AWAY.....

And your other part is in my car at Ellis' house Doug.

Quick Reply: Kudos to Accurate Engines