Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

New cam..

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 01:59 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New cam..

Well it looks like I will finally be getting a cam.

Talked to the wife more about it. I will be ordering it the middle of next month.

The cam I chose is a Pred-z speced cam.

230/232 .612/.595 111+2 LSA

This is a Comp Cam XFI/XE-R lobes
9* overlap so nice lope.

According to PredatorZ it will have a peak of 62/6300 rpm with a pull till 6600 easy.

I was kinda wanting a cam that would pull past 6600, but being's my car has high miles and nothing else done, I think this will be fine. Until I have more funds to go with more cubes.

What do you guys think?

Lane
Old 12-31-2007, 09:43 AM
10 Second Club

Never heard of that cam before. Should have a nasty idle! Better ask whoever is going to tune it for you. And I trust you are getting springs & pushrods too?

Everyone has their own opinions about cams, but from what I've seen with LS1s, they seem to like more lift & duration on the exhaust (i.e. more than the intake side). But this one will certainly give you more power. It will be interesting to see how it performs.....
Old 01-01-2008, 06:53 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Should be explosive power once you hit the band, but I dont see it carrying to 6600 rpms with the 111 lsa. Nice choppy idle. Pred has been around for a bit, he has some knowledge so it's not just coming from left field. Like Mark said you'll need to do the "package" to run it safely
Old 01-01-2008, 12:29 PM
11 Second Club

What would you guys recomend then???

Its going to be a cam only car for now.

I will be buying the whole kit from TSP. also an oil pump, timing chain, and an underdrive pulley
Old 01-01-2008, 02:36 PM
Banned

I dont think its a bad choice, I think trying to spin your current motor to 6600 rpms is questionable. You will lose torque on the bottom end to acheive HP on the top end.
Old 01-01-2008, 02:45 PM
11 Second Club

Oh okay. I see what you are saying.

Yeah I know. I mentioned that in the first post. I thought you are guys were saying something different. Sorry. lol

I would love to get close to 390hp with this cam. But I am not sure if it will do it. Right now I am making 319. But I know dyno numbers ain't everything, Once I get it on the track, then we will see how it produces what I want.

With this cam, gears, level 2 tranny, and rear suspension I am hoping to to get close to breaking the 11's. We will see.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:03 PM
Banned

I hit 380 with a tr224 cam only but it wasnt tuned by Tom either. I think your hp goal is within reach not sure about the 11's but I'm not a racer. I think people put it into 11's with less but more suspension and of course gears
Old 01-02-2008, 09:56 AM
FormerVendor

I think you can hit your target power level without going to such a large cam with your A4 car. With a cam that size with an A4 you need a pretty loose converter. I would be a little leary of using it with a SS3600, maybe Ellis can comment on how it would like idling at a stop. I think something like a 224 or a 226 intake duration would be better suited. Or maybe even a 228/230 cam on a 114 can get you there. Just know that with a high stall converter and a A4, theres going to be more drivetrain losses than with a M6, which means while the crank power is there its not going to show as much on the dyno as a M6 car.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tjwong
I think you can hit your target power level without going to such a large cam with your A4 car. With a cam that size with an A4 you need a pretty loose converter. I would be a little leary of using it with a SS3600, maybe Ellis can comment on how it would like idling at a stop. I think something like a 224 or a 226 intake duration would be better suited. Or maybe even a 228/230 cam on a 114 can get you there. Just know that with a high stall converter and a A4, theres going to be more drivetrain losses than with a M6, which means while the crank power is there its not going to show as much on the dyno as a M6 car.
Very true, my cam is not to far off from this (228/232), and has a pretty lumpy idle, which still needs some work. Mines on a 112 and makes good power once the rpms are up just a bit, torque is there from the get go... Why the lower lift on the exhaust side? Anyway, you don't always need a mondo cam to make decent power imo.
Robert
Old 01-02-2008, 07:13 PM
11 Second Club

I guess really thinking about it. It is not that big of a cam. Maybe a couple of years ago it would have been considered a big cam. But with what is out there now, Its a moderate one.

Robert the reason you have torque from the get go is you have a few cubes on me. Not because of the cam you have... I mean the cam helps out no doubt.

In all honesty The reason I really don't want to go with a 224 or 228, its like an *******, every one has one. lol. I want to be a little different, and see what the outcome may be. I had talked back and forth with Pred-z, and he seems to think this will work just fine. Maybe he is wrong, but maybe not. If it does'nt perform like I want it, I can always change it.

And you guys keep mentioning the exhaust side is so low, its cause it is an XE-R. I think he was worrying some on PTV clearance. And did not want to over do it. Cause I would really hate to have to fly cut, for just a cam only car... If I am not mistaken the XE-R, is an extreme lobe design so it will open faster and close faster, so not as much lift will be needed to let the exhaust breath. Thats what I am thinking any way, correct me if I am wrong.

Lane

Quick Reply: New cam..