Old 02-10-2008, 10:24 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

of what?
Old 02-10-2008, 10:25 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You've got to be kidding me!

There is only one thing that opens in now 58 days. If you dont know what that is your un-american.. j/k

You guys up there have cause for hope as well with Bedard coming over.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:36 AM
TECH Regular

Sorry, but it should be obvious that at this point Baseball is not "America's Game". It barely even cracks the top 5 depending on the statistics you read.

That said I knew what you were talking about. Only one sport (that I know of) uses the term "Opening Day".
Old 02-10-2008, 11:38 AM
TECH Regular

BTW it was the REAL opening day on this last Thursday.

Drag Racing Started.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I thought drag racing to.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:00 PM
Staging Lane

^^^ Thats what I'm talking about. Almost have the car back together, still looking for misc parts. Heres a older pic.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When I think of Opening Day, I think of Hunting Season!!!!
Old 02-10-2008, 12:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by KTamez
Sorry, but it should be obvious that at this point Baseball is not "America's Game". It barely even cracks the top 5 depending on the statistics you read.

That said I knew what you were talking about. Only one sport (that I know of) uses the term "Opening Day".
Let me ask you one question. What game gets played more than anything in the parks by the kids and has the biggest enrollment, employes the most people to the point that the govt will step in if there is a labor dispute. Plays from April to October and draws the most attendance.

Baseball has been and always will be America's game. Its been around the longest and has survived everything.

I coach. 1/10th as many kids sign up for all the other sports as does baseball. Not sure what stats your reading or who's producing them but they are incorrect. Baseball sets new records each year in attendance.

You might not like the game, this is a car site there is going to be for the most part a limited view on here. But to say baseball doesnt crack the top 5 is not only ridiculous but semi retarded.

There are 5 major sports in this country and one minor and bunch a of others that arent going to be discussed. MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL, Car racing and Soccer.

Entertainment wrestling is no more a sport than Ballet. Both require athletes but it is not competition.

We're not talking about the amount of money spent to follow or watch a sport either. We're talking about fans who follow the game religiously. Fans who grow up and want to be players and fans who were kids once.

This region doesnt have the history in the game, so its easy to see where your lack of knowledge comes from.

Ever heard of truck day? It was 2 days ago for the Red Sox. Its the day when the movers take the equiptment to spring training. Pitchers and catchers report on the 15th(thats Feb for you guys that dont know) Day after Valentines day.
People take their vacations to go watch spring training in Florida and Arizona. A couple years ago a spring training game between the Yankees and Red Sox had tickets scalping for $300+ For a totally meaningless. Spring training!!! How many fans flock to see practice runs for a nascar team, sell the place out and scalp tickets?

In warm weather states its played year round.
Parents with kids that have real potential move to those states that play year round. Basketball only recently caught up with signing high school players.

Baseball is the the US what Hockey is to Canada. Its a birth-right.
Its also played in more countries around the world than any other sport except for soccer.

Baseball always has been and always will be king of the hill.

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 02-10-2008 at 12:40 PM.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh boy here it goes again. J/K

I can't stand to watch baseball on TV, unless I can't sleep.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:04 PM
12 Second Club

While I agree it is very popular and I can appreciate the strategy of the game. Also, I played it for 8+ years. I just can't stand to watch it on TV.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:05 PM
Banned

Yea its good for that to. Look anyone can have their own opinion, thats not a problem but dont confuse opinion with facts.

There are a few baseball fans in this section, I'm not the only one and the Mariners arent easy to get tickerts to when the Sox are in town so I dont think I'm alone in the Pac NW.

Might not be your cup of tea, but dont be stupid about it is all I ask.

Dude I so pushed for Portland to get a team. I'd be a season ticket holder, much rather go to than watch it on TV but reality is the Red Sox dont play around here but one series a year so he TV it is.
I'm not saying that I dont get a nap sometimes from the 4th inning to the 7th inning either... its good for that on a lazy summer day.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:07 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's impossible for me to understand how anyone can get excited about baseball... It's the third most boring sport in the world.... #1 golf, and #2 curling, #3 baseball. The only mainstream sport worth watching just ended it's season last weekend.

Tell ya what... let them bean people with the ball instead of tagging them out, and I'll start watching... otherwise, it's about as exciting watching them "psyche out" the other players as it is watching the grass grow.

Baseball is not to the US what hockey is to Canada... Football is.

Call me UnAmerican, but if they took every baseball player on the planet and put them in a rocket and shot it into the sun, I can't say I would miss any of them.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:12 PM
12 Second Club

I don't know...Those crazy bastards with the brooms in curling always get me laughing.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:13 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by DrEvyl

Call me UnAmerican, but if they took every baseball player on the planet and put them in a rocket and shot it into the sun, I can't say I would miss any of them.

Not even Mordecai three finger brown?

He is on the planet somewhere...just in the ground kinda.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DrEvyl
It's impossible for me to understand how anyone can get excited about baseball... It's the third most boring sport in the world.... #1 golf, and #2 curling, #3 baseball. The only mainstream sport worth watching just ended it's season last weekend.

Tell ya what... let them bean people with the ball instead of tagging them out, and I'll start watching... otherwise, it's about as exciting watching them "psyche out" the other players as it is watching the grass grow.

Baseball is not to the US what hockey is to Canada... Football is.

Ya ok, you go with that girl!

Football is exciting to watch no doubt and I love the game!

Now if they were allowed you to use the bat on the pitcher you'd be excited to and how about some MMA action when someone tries to take second.

Didnt I just say dont be retarded?

Only reason thet SB set a record was becasue of what was at stake and nothing more. Ok maybe Tom Petty too...lol
Old 02-10-2008, 01:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Baseball will probably always be the most played game in America. It is fairly simple and not too physical so anyone can have fun playing it. Soccer, Basketball and Football are all more fun to watch(IMO), but are all more physically taxing to play. The thing that kills me about Baseball is that the season is soooo long. By the All-Star break I've had my fill.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:22 PM
Banned

Maybe if the M's were serious contenders that might help?

Maybe not. It is a long season no doubt. It think they should wait til the end of April to start and shorten it by 30 game or so. It would keep pitchers fresher I think and cut down on cold weather injuries. Get rid of the inter league play even thought I like it.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ideally, I'd like to see Football, Baseball and Basketball come together and divide the year into 3 separate seasons with no regular season overlap. Jan-Apr for Basketball, May-Aug for Baseball, and Sep-Dec for Football. You'd get a little overlap for playoffs and exhibition games, but that's no big deal.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:36 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Funkster
Not even Mordecai three finger brown?

He is on the planet somewhere...just in the ground kinda.
I don't even know who that is.

Quick Reply: 59 days left