Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Washington state patrol inspection?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 07:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Washington state patrol inspection?

Has anyone here had to go through a Washington state patrol inspection? I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers on what they look for, and any extra paper work that would get me through quicker. How thorough do they inspect the car?
Old 02-16-2008, 07:57 PM
TECH Regular

Are you talking about if/when you get pulled over and your car is searched?

or

If you go through a weigh station and get 'inspected'?

Last edited by OSUBraden; 02-17-2008 at 01:59 AM.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

or, are you asking about the emissions inspections? If it's emissions then it depends how old your car is and which county you live in. Some counties don't require it at all. Those that do will either put a sniffer in your tail for older cars, or plug into your OBD port for newer cars.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:16 PM
TECH Veteran

I think they are talking about the old WSP inspection stations, not sure but they used them for "lost" title sales, out of state or longer than 5 year expired never renewed tabs.

The only thing they look for are the basics:
Good tread
All lights working
Exhaust meets code per year (a 1st gen wouldn't be the same as a 4th gen)
All title and registration matches the VIN
Your ID matches the name on the registration/title

Don't know if they even use those any longer but they might if there has been a title or VIN issue.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:43 PM
Teching In

I had to go to the WSP inspection station in Bellevue back in 2003. I had sold my 71 GS455 to someone in New Jersey, but after looking at all the paperwork I had on the car, including the registration cards going back into the 80's, it turned out that the current registration hadn't matched the actual VIN for over 15 years. This could have been a huge mess if he had gotten the car and tried to license/register it in New Jersey, since the VIN didn't match the paperwork.

I was able to trace it back to when it was sold at a used car dealership many years back and that the person had transposed a couple of numbers when he wrote it down.

I went to the WSP station, at the direction of DOL, and had them check it out. I brought all my paperwork, assuming that I'd have to show them where it occurred, but they looked at the VIN and my title and registration, went back to their computer, and I was on my way. I contacted the person at DOL and the correct title was sent to me.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:52 PM
Staging Lane

I'm talking about when you buy a "salvage" total loss back from the insurance company and rebuild it to be road worthy again.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it is a salvage/buyback wreck deal than they just check to make sure everything is up to code. When my wife's Ford Probe was rear-ended, I went out to the wrecking yard pulled the parts I needed and put them on. They looked it over, gave it a couple little nudges and I was on my way. Probably took no more than five min tops. Make sure you have the permit from the DoL that says you can drive the car on x days until inspected, otherwise if you show up without it, kind of like asking for the fine.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:19 PM
Launching!

All they're looking for is reciepts for ANY parts purchased.... Pull a part reciepts will NOT work.

They want to see the airbag light come on and turn off as it is supposed to.

Legal lights, mirrors, windshield and safety equipment.

You can bring a car in that has a quarterpanel that is buckeled and smashed in, as long as the lights, mirrors, glass and safety equipment is ok it will pass.

Any more questions feel free to pm me.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm going to have to go through this on my pickup. It's a 68 pickup, but I'm using a cab from a 72....the cab has 1 VIN on it, the frame has another. I have both titles, and want to register it as a 68. So in a year and a half or so I'll figure it out!
Old 02-21-2008, 09:18 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the info guys. Anyone know how to disable the airbag light? I don't want to risk connecting the air bag and have it explode in my face.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by camaroslpss
Thanks for the info guys. Anyone know how to disable the airbag light? I don't want to risk connecting the air bag and have it explode in my face.
Unless there is a very serious problem with your airbag wiring or airbag controller then don't worry about plugging it in.

The sequence is...

Unplug your battery for 30 minutes "most cars are 1 min" to be safe.

Discharge any static electricity you may be carrying.

Sit in the seat of the car with the airbag on your passenger seat.

Discharge static again before picking up the airbag.

Plug the airbag in and clip / bolt / whatever is holding it in.

Now when you're all done leave your ignition key in the on position.

Go ahead and get out and reconnect your battery.

If everything is fine there should be no explosion

If your airbag light does not shut off within 7 seconds after turning your ignition on then....

either your controller is bad "yes they do go bad sometimes after accident"
clockspring could be bad "yes they go bad from the impact of the airbag blowing"
Your model may need the airbag light reset with a scanner or some kind of sequence depending on what kind of car you have. Others will reset themselves when there's no error.

good luck and if the car is supposed to have airbags they WILL look for it.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:56 PM

Thumbs up WSP inspection

Well, my son purchased a salvaged auto last year and it has been a nightmare to get it registered and insured. We finally got the paperwork back from the State of WA that it required a WSP inspection.

I set up an appointment and we went today for it. I was already to have them ask for more than I had, but was pleasantly surprised. They asked for what paperwork we had. Which was the Bill of Sale and Emissions Testing, then placed a sticker on the door jam on the driver's side, checked the VIN number, looked under the hood at the engine and checked to see if his lights were working. After that, the officer went in and inputted the information in her computer, called me to her window, asked me for my ID, and I signed 2 documents for her and got a "PASS" inspection document to take with me to the Licensing agent.

That's all there was to it!

Smoother than I anticipated. Although...when you go to license your car...take CASH or CHECK! They don't take debit or credit cards at these subagent places.

Good luck on your journey with your salvaged/rebuilt car. They need to tell us when we purchase one of these vehicles; the steps we need to take, but they don't! It has taken me over 2 months to get this car straightened out! I don't want anyone else to go through the stress of this like I have!

Hope this helps!

Eaglemom58
Old 01-20-2009, 04:50 PM
Launching!

Yowsers, back from the dead!
Old 01-21-2009, 12:07 AM
Staging Lane

Wow, I was surprised to see this one back. Car passed with out any problems last year
Old 01-21-2009, 01:08 PM
Launching!

Yeah as long as you don't volunteer unnecessary info, and have any and all reciepts for parts / work done you're fine.

Quick Reply: Washington state patrol inspection?