Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Thieves!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 03:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thieves!!!

I got home tonight from work/class and after I opened the garage door, the door into the house was hanging wide open and my dogs came running out (usually in the basement). I also notice that the trunk on the corvette was open. I thought all of this was wierd, and as I walked into the garage, I saw a bow saw on the ground next to the side door going outside. That sealed the deal for me that someone had/or still was in the house. So I told my wife to get back into the pickup and we headed back down the driveway (mile long). Meanwhile I called 911. About 45 min. later the cops showed up, and went in the house to make sure no one was inside (after sitting there for so long, we didn't think there'd be anyone inside)

So once the cops had checked everything out, we went in, and found some things missing. Oh, apparently they had let out the dogs from the basement but distracted them by giving them a chicken that was in the fridge.

So here's what's missing:
Toshiba Laptop Computer (with my Stock tune and the tunes I've been working on for the vette and pickup)
20" Visio LCD TV
Ipod (Black) Nano 2 gig
Ihome Ipod clock radio docking thing
Kodak Digital Camera
Tissot Watch (Stainless steel with blue face)
Alpine head unit (from the corvette)
Polaroid Portable DVD player.
Oh, and a few sets of house keys!
and probably a few other things I can't think of right now.

So the worst thing they got was the laptop. The damage could be much worse, but still pretty scary/disgusting/whatever else overall.

We don't know when they were here, or if they were in a truck or car or on foot, but they missed bunch of stuff that would be worth quite a bit.

They rumaged through our room, looking for whatever, but we really don't have anything valuable in there.

So if you guys happen to go into a pawn shop or see this stuff on craigslist, let me know. I guess I get to deal with the insurance company tomorrow, clean up the wreck, and get some new locks.

Oh, they also had a set of camper keys in the corvette, probably trying to steal it, but luckily we had both sets with us...so no dice there. And other than the radio, it doesn't look like there was any damage to it.

Mainly, I just wanted to vent a little...still a little worked up over the whole ordeal...and probably won't be able to sleep very easily.

Oh, tomorrow I'll also be picking up some shotgun shell!
Old 03-19-2008, 03:41 AM
Staging Lane

wow.. awful to hear... hope everything goes well from here on out. good luck catching the useless pieces who did that.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:42 AM
11 Second Club

Wow.... Well atleast you and the family are unhurt.

I don't know how I would react in a situation like that with the family there. I hope you get the little ******...

You did the right thing, by leaving though. And letting the police come first.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:37 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well the stuff they really want thiese days are your personal info and paper work,

Very Sorry to hear about this man. Good luck!
Old 03-19-2008, 07:26 AM
10 Second Club

Damn that SUCKS dude! Another friend of mine had the neighbor kid break in & steal keys & his guns. He was a bit worried until the cops caught him & threw his sorry *** in jail. Bastards, we need some good ol vigilante laws!!!
Old 03-19-2008, 09:30 AM
Teching In

That sucks, I know how you feel, my house got broken into 7 years ago and I still don't feel safe sometimes. My friend installs home security systems, if intersted I'll get a hold of him for ya.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Sorry dude. People say that having your house broken into gives a similar feeling to being physically violated. I am just glad no one was home/got hurt.

Get those locks changed ASAP and fire the dogs.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys,

We'll be looking into a security system, anyone have any recommendations (good or bad).

Our 2 dogs (both black labs) are too friendly to hurt anyone, unless they get licked to death. The one sounds mean, but its all bark. I really don't want to get a 3rd dog as a security measure.

Oh, it doesn't look like they were after identity stuff. My passport and my wife's social security card was next to the fire safe (that had the key in it) and a new set of check books were all left.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Ackattack1
Thanks guys,

We'll be looking into a security system, anyone have any recommendations (good or bad).

Our 2 dogs (both black labs) are too friendly to hurt anyone, unless they get licked to death. The one sounds mean, but its all bark. I really don't want to get a 3rd dog as a security measure.

Oh, it doesn't look like they were after identity stuff. My passport and my wife's social security card was next to the fire safe (that had the key in it) and a new set of check books were all left.
That's good.....sounds more like kids than pros which is VERY good.
As for security systems, it all depends on what you can afford and what style you want. Any of the major distributors generally have good products. Might want to call your local police and find out what they recommend for home alarms/security systems. They will know which ones go off for no reason waaaay too much and which ones actually help.

Good luck.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:26 AM
TECH Resident

also if you would pm me any details or post things like the model of the laptop, camera, cd player and such. I am always on craigslist and i can keep an eye out for anything. do you have serial numbers for any of the items?
Old 03-19-2008, 12:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by jester1614
also if you would pm me any details or post things like the model of the laptop, camera, cd player and such. I am always on craigslist and i can keep an eye out for anything. do you have serial numbers for any of the items?
^^ hindsight can be a bitch sometimes, hope you have them to give to pawn shops and police. Our friends baby stuff (EVERYTHING) was stolen when they were at the hospital in delivery few weeks back. Police are looking at half that may be theirs from couple of us keeping an eye on CG baby stuff for sale.

It's always a good idea to call the pawn shops within a 25 mile radius first thing - they are actually pretty good at watching for stuff like this.

Laptops and digital camera's make getting the actual passport and ssn cards obsolete. Half assed hackers can get any of those numbers off the computer including any credit card numbers, bank account numbers, passwords, and DL#'s for identity theft. More often than not its people like you that don't think much about it to be stuck in identity theft hell because they hand it over for couple of bills to someone that can get all that information. They can also track you at home from your laptop. Digital camera is good way to "see" if you are worth getting more out of.

Put a watch on your credit cards, bank and ID cards. If anything pops you're a step ahead.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad to hear you guys weren't hurt. Thieves suck!!!!
Old 03-19-2008, 01:22 PM
On The Tree

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully their just idiot kids and you can get your stuff back. What I really hope happens is that they line 'em up and shoot 'em.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Night vision security cameras with DVR multiplexer. Check out Frys in Renton or online. DVR multiplexers run $600-1000. Good night vision cameras run $200-300 and up into the thousands! Some Multiplexers let you view your cameras over the internet.

Good info: http://www.protecdvs.com/index.php?link=faq
Old 03-20-2008, 01:37 PM
On The Tree

I have ADT. Motion sensors, fire sensors, door sensors, CO sensor. They call at first sign of trouble. It even works with my comcast phones.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like bunch of kids who might have seen you pull into your driveway with your Vette...
Old 03-22-2008, 02:13 PM
Teching In

Although it doesn't sound like they were after ID theft stuff (which is rare), you may want to look at the check books and make sure there weren't any stolen from the back of the book. All they really need is one with you bank routing information on it, and they can make the rest themselves.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:52 AM
TECH Resident

This sucks a$$ man. I have hi-def night vision survailance system and I think it's worth every penny.

The people who did this to you are for sure drug addicts in debt with their suppliers.