Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

after market shifter questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default after market shifter questions

do any of you guys have after market shifters in your c5 vettes? & if so are they hard to shift in to reverse?
My hsubands vette it takes 2 hands to throw the car in to reverse but all the other shifts are smooth as silk.

We had it in at the dealership today & they couldnt figure out what was wrong with it other then the fact that it might have been the shifter it self.

do we go out & buy another shifter or do we find out if something is wrong wtih this one?
Old 04-02-2008, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have the stocker in mine.

It sounds like syncros to me. Try putting the stocker back in to see if that solves the problem.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ackattack1
I have the stocker in mine.

It sounds like syncros to me. Try putting the stocker back in to see if that solves the problem.
dont have the stock one, never did will have to order one, the car came with this shifter when we bought the car a year ago.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:54 PM
9 Second Club

Is it always hard? or only when the car is on?

Try putting it in 1st before going into reverse(without letting clutch out) and see if it makes it alittle easier to go in.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The Clutch is not completely releasing

Old story new singer
Old 04-02-2008, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

The dealership says the clutch is fine, the syncros checked out great (over all the tranny is perfect)

it just shifts to reverse really hard & Yes it is All the time even when the car is off, I cant shift it in to reverse most of the time & dan has to use two hands.

it is an aftermarket shifter, & we were told by a couple other corvette guys to try a c6 shifter.

it would have cost us nearly 900 for them to take down the tranny & check the shifter.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

you don't have to pull the tranny to change the shifter, just pop off console.

Oh, you might do a google search for "anti venom mod" Basically you put a washer under a bolt at the tranny and it makes it shift a little easier. I did it when I first got mine.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ackattack1
you don't have to pull the tranny to change the shifter, just pop off console.

Oh, you might do a google search for "anti venom mod" Basically you put a washer under a bolt at the tranny and it makes it shift a little easier. I did it when I first got mine.
Oh ok, well just reading over the dealership report & they said that its a MOMO shifter? dont know if anyone knows anything about them or not.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by krazzycowgirl
Oh ok, well just reading over the dealership report & they said that its a MOMO shifter? dont know if anyone knows anything about them or not.
Never heard of a MOMO shifter for a C5. MOMO shifter ****, sure lot's of those but I'm not sure about the shifter itself.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:00 AM
9 Second Club

lol MOMO is a ricer brand
Old 04-03-2008, 02:17 AM
10 Second Club

I do not see why you are even having a problem the dealer said every thing was fine
Old 04-03-2008, 02:49 AM
Launching!

Could it be the reverse interlock? I don't know if vette's have them but F-body's do for sure.

If it takes two hands to push the lever to the right it sounds like that solenoid is not working.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:09 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by NW94Z
Never heard of a MOMO shifter for a C5. MOMO shifter ****, sure lot's of those but I'm not sure about the shifter itself.
What are you talking about?!

I have a Momo shifter on my Hurst tansmission!
Old 04-03-2008, 08:32 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JCCamaro
lol MOMO is a ricer brand
Ricers may use them but MOMO is Italian and a very well regarded manufacturer and designer of aftermarket accessories. IMO the best steering wheels in the world come from MOMO.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:39 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by NW94Z
Ricers may use them but MOMO is Italian and a very well regarded manufacturer and designer of aftermarket accessories. IMO the best steering wheels in the world come from MOMO.
It may be a good brand but if a ricer has a aftermarket steering wheel or shift **** 99% of the time its MOMO
Old 04-03-2008, 08:51 AM
10 Second Club

It may be a good brand but if a ricer has a aftermarket steering wheel or shift **** 99% of the time its MOMO
Does not mean it crappy stuff. MOMO IS top notch stuff.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:25 AM
Teching In

That the same as a ricer using the same brand tires as anyone of us do.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:49 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
Does not mean it crappy stuff. MOMO IS top notch stuff.
I never said it was crappy, its like the same situation as borla making exhaust for STi's, its not crap, but its a muscle car dominate brand

EDIT:Not saying anything wrong with using it either, its just when someone mentions MOMO most people are gonna have ricers pop in there mind first. Good parts are good parts, no matter who puts their logo on it.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:20 PM
Staging Lane

Sweet thread hijack!

Back to your shifting problem, reverse and first are not synchronized gears (from what I understand), so have you tried putting the car in 2nd, then reverse? My car won't go into first or reverse unless I put it in second first, then it slips right in (or first if the car is already moving).

I quite like my stock Z06 shifter.... The throw is just a little to long, but other then that its a solid shifter IMO.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:35 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Optimal
Sweet thread hijack!

Back to your shifting problem, reverse and first are not synchronized gears (from what I understand), so have you tried putting the car in 2nd, then reverse? My car won't go into first or reverse unless I put it in second first, then it slips right in (or first if the car is already moving).

I quite like my stock Z06 shifter.... The throw is just a little to long, but other then that its a solid shifter IMO.
Actually, both first and reverse are syncronized. You're probably not old enough to have driven with a transmission that didn't have a syncro first gear. (My '64 Chevy II came with an un-syncronized first and three on the tree)

My guess would be the clutch is hanging up a just litttle, causing the transmission input shaft to turn when its depressed. The syncros "should" stop the turning.

Now that I think about it, what kind of fluid is in the transmission? This could be the symptom if the wrong type is in there. Too little syncro friction or not enough viscosity may be the problem.