Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

What to do if you get in an accident, be prepared.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 01:05 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What to do if you get in an accident, be prepared.

With all the threads I see of people getting in accidents and seeing how some people get "screwed" over because of not doing simple steps I figured a thread with tips would come in handy. So post your tips of what to do before and after an accident so you are prepared.

I'll start. I recommend carrying at least a small notepad and a pen in the glove box. That way if the unfortunate happens then you can write down all information you can gather. Other person(s) name, address, phone numbers(home/work), insurance company info, so on.

Also everyone nowadays has a cell phone with a camera even if it is crappy, take a few pictures. If your phone is not a camera phone then i'd recommend at the minimum having a cheap disposable camera (even though the film could get damaged from the heat/cold).

Well post your tips of what to have before an accident and after, tips with dealing with insurance and so on.
Old 10-19-2008, 01:07 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

crowbar
Old 10-19-2008, 01:07 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by camaro-94-z28
crowbar
Thats what I wanted to take to the guys head who rear ended me exactly a week after I bought my Firebird...lol
Old 10-19-2008, 01:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My insurance co. provided a small card with the direct number to call to make a claim instantly... If not provided, might be helpful to right down yourself.
Old 10-19-2008, 01:30 PM
On The Tree

x2 on camera take several pictures that will help depict the story.

Also, interview any surrounding witnesses if you can, have them sign off on what happened. Any testimonials help, especially when they try and turn it around and make it seem as if it was your fault.

Analyze the driver who hit you, write down how theyre acting if you think they're drunk. I was hit head on by a drunk driver, car rolled over and landed in a ravine. He cut the seat belt off me as it had wrapped around my neck while we were rolling and the car was upside down with water coming in. Anyway, i could smell the whisky on his breath, he was clearly loaded. After helping me out, he walked home and slammed a fifth of whisky...cops couldn't prove he was drinking before he hit me.

Feel free to share tips on people trying to flee from the scene of an accident,it's a tough situation to deal with. First thing I try and take note of are plates and all characteristics of the person / vehicle. Plates don't help if the car was stolen.
Old 10-19-2008, 04:17 PM
TECH Regular

if person hits you and takes fault immediately have them file the claim while your there. If they hit you do not give them your insurance they do not need that info if they hit you. also if its a toss up who is at fault call the police they will work it out. this is all just from my experiences being in accidents and working in body shops
Old 10-21-2008, 02:10 AM
TECH Resident

I was hit 2 months ago while sitting at a stop light. I was rearended by a lady who didnt realize she ran a stop sign and then proceeded to hit me while im sitting at the next light. I got out and immediately called 911, from there I gave them her license plate number and my name and info. We both parked at a nearby parking lot, she gave me a notepad with her info and said that she would pay out of pocket.

She pleaded not to get the police involved. She said that If I file a report she was going to fight it. At this point I got irritated with her tactics and called 911 again and talked to dispatch. The lady that rearended me said "well i gave you my info" and tried to leave the scene. I was transfered to the officer who was right around the corner, I gave him a descriptioin of the car (90 Acura Integra White). And he was able to force her to pull back into the parking lot. (there was a line of people trying to leave the parking lot)

After the officer arrived, I told him EVERYTHING, and requested a report. I felt relieved that he ran her info to make sure it was valid and she didnt have any warrants.

At that point I immediatley called my insurance company and reported it and was able to give them ALL the info + the name and number of a witness. I am sure If I didnt get the police involved, I would never see this out of state driver again.

So what have we learned:

1. Never trust the other driver to do the right thing.

2. ALways request a police officer at the scene in order to file a report.

3. Immediatley write down license plate info and license info if possible.

4. Call your insurance once the police report is filed in order to give your insurance the most accurate depiction of the accident.

5. Dont fall for the old "Ill pay for it out of pocket" , If they dont want to report it to their insurance, chances are , they wouldnt pay for it out of pocket either.

( I had a friend get sideswiped the same exact day, Lady that hit him told him the same thing.. that shed pay out of pocket... So he didnt report it or call the police... Recently come to find out that she reported HIM to police and said He hit her........... total bs.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:21 PM
Launching!

Keep the tips coming guys.

That's a crazy situation ultraz.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

x10 on the camera and/or keeping a camera phone

if possible, jump out of your car and immediately take pics before moving either vehicle - I know it may not be possible in most situations but try if you can

I had a heiffer yapping on her cell phone rear-end me. I jumped out with my phone and snapped a quick pic of her still on her phone, her front bumper firmly locked onto my rear bumper. She acted all cool and gladly gave over her insurance info and I filed the claim... two days later, insurance company denies the claim - heiffer told them I had slammed on my brakes and she had no other choice but to hit me. I emailed the pic I had taken to the claim handler... clearly showing their client still yapping on her phone and not another car in site (she claimed 'bumper to bumper' traffic and she couldnt' change lanes to go around me). 'bout 5 minutes later I get a call from the claim handler - she apologized and said check was in the mail
Old 10-21-2008, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

oh yeah, ALWAYS file a claim

they can always contact their insurance company and tell them they'll pay out-of-pocket but the insurance company keeps tabs and most will still want you to sign a waiver to make sure you dont double-collect once the repairs are complete
Old 10-21-2008, 05:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by waltonscott
x2 on camera take several pictures that will help depict the story.

Also, interview any surrounding witnesses if you can, have them sign off on what happened. Any testimonials help, especially when they try and turn it around and make it seem as if it was your fault.

Analyze the driver who hit you, write down how theyre acting if you think they're drunk. I was hit head on by a drunk driver, car rolled over and landed in a ravine. He cut the seat belt off me as it had wrapped around my neck while we were rolling and the car was upside down with water coming in. Anyway, i could smell the whisky on his breath, he was clearly loaded. After helping me out, he walked home and slammed a fifth of whisky...cops couldn't prove he was drinking before he hit me.

Feel free to share tips on people trying to flee from the scene of an accident,it's a tough situation to deal with. First thing I try and take note of are plates and all characteristics of the person / vehicle. Plates don't help if the car was stolen.
so basically you almost died? Thats is f****in nuts! You talk like it was nothing

cell phone, police, pen and paper im sure there might be other things for drastic situations, but i think you dont need much more, except for patience
Old 10-21-2008, 10:46 PM
Staging Lane

Never been in a legit accident, But Iw as at the Gas station pumping gas and a guy in a giant suburban pulls in and cant reach the gas thing, so since car was a stick at the time, i put in neutral and roll it back to be nice and pull the ebrake. he waves and is pulling forward and doesnt get stoped and bangs my bumper scratches it up nicely. I look at him like you gotta be kidding me. I do you a favor and you hit my car. he gets out of the car, and goes O "Explicit langauge". He says please dont call the cops, im just coming from the local football game and I had a few beers. Gets in wallet pulls out $1000 and says here is that good? I took the money smiled and drove off. Never seen or heard from him again.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by cmccully04
Never been in a legit accident, But Iw as at the Gas station pumping gas and a guy in a giant suburban pulls in and cant reach the gas thing, so since car was a stick at the time, i put in neutral and roll it back to be nice and pull the ebrake. he waves and is pulling forward and doesnt get stoped and bangs my bumper scratches it up nicely. I look at him like you gotta be kidding me. I do you a favor and you hit my car. he gets out of the car, and goes O "Explicit langauge". He says please dont call the cops, im just coming from the local football game and I had a few beers. Gets in wallet pulls out $1000 and says here is that good? I took the money smiled and drove off. Never seen or heard from him again.
you serious? thats crazy.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by cmccully04
i would have taken the money then called the cops. Than have an insurance claim and pocket the thousand. If he says he gave me $1k i would just deny it and you get away with 1k extra of money and a safer street to drive on Get paid for doin good
Old 10-22-2008, 12:02 AM
TECH Veteran

If they don't have tags write down their VIN. Don't be a victim of someone running without tags and then taking off. This happened to someone I knew...

Don't let anyone push you around.

Don't say crap. Keep your mouth shut about everything. Only talk to the cop.

Don't settle with the insurance bastards at first. Don't let them talk you into thinking what they say goes.

Quick Reply: What to do if you get in an accident, be prepared.