Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Thinking about priming...

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 03:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Thinking about priming...

Ok, so over the past year my paint has gone to absolute ****. The clear coat is peeling off in decent size chunks, sail panel is faded very badly on top(no bubbles though), both quarter panels have clear coat comming off on the top curve by hatch & my headlight covers have several spots where the color has completely come off. Hell every trip to the car wash takes more off all around the car. I know with winter & freezing condition added to no garage it's a no brainer that it'll only get worse.

So I'm think about tryin to do a quick budget friendly cover-up to get me by until I get a garage & can afford to drop say $3k for a new good paint job.

I'm seriously thinking about hitting it with satin black primer & calling it good for now. at this point I'm thinking anything is better than my stock paint. And black would look better than gray. I know to use a block to get it smoothed out & down past the factory paint. What brand of primer would you guys suggest? Can this primer be bought in a rattle can? I am very good at getting a awsome finish from rattle cans & I'd only do one area at a time until finished. Like start with a fender then door on that side & then on to the quarter. I'd like to not spend a lot on this if possible since it's gonna be a do it myself & just to get me by for about a year.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:22 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes it can be bought in a rattle can but its going to look like crap. You can buy black primer automotive primer in quarts or gallons from an automotive paint store. If you don't have a spray gun and compressor rattle cans might be your only option. It will look 100% beeter if you do it with a spray gun. You can pick up a economy spray gun for around $20-$30.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 10-20-2008, 03:27 PM
12 Second Club

Yea, thats my main delimma. No gun or compressor. And no garage to keep a compressor & gun in even if I bought a decent set-up. I know it won't be a quality finish worthy of good paint but it would be better than the trash my paint has turned into currently & could always be sanded back down & properly primed when the good paint job gets laid down.

Just looking for something very affordable that would be a improvement over my peeling paint now. I do not expect it to hold up like a proper prime job. Just enough to get me by for a while.

EDIT-----

Found some rattle can primer called Hot Rod black from Bondo. Is this a decent primer for what I'm thinking about doin???

Please remember I'm not expecting it to last for several years, but to hold up decently for a little while.

Last edited by BIG_MIKE2005; 10-20-2008 at 03:41 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:53 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

provided you plan on sanding every spec of the rattle can primer off when youre ready to paint it, go to town. I would say save your money though, I am so friggin tired of blacked out primer jobs....

Hell, get a friends compressor and spray the car cheap black with some cheapie clear on it with flattener in the clear. Itll last for 4-5 years and itll have the same look. (works awesome on color based pearl jobs for a satin sheets look btw)
Old 10-20-2008, 03:59 PM
12 Second Club

Trust me if my paint wasn't so bad I wouldn't even consider it. But with it's current condition & available funds it's lookin like my best option currently.

I'm thinking about testing it out on my sail panel first since it's needing sanded down badly anyway.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:30 PM
TECH Resident

if its just temprary.... MAACO
Old 10-20-2008, 04:33 PM
12 Second Club

LOL, I'd rather rattle can it than leave my car with those people.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:35 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
true
Old 10-20-2008, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
hahaha, well i would seriously say to find someone witha gun and compressor, anything that you could get in a gallon would be better then a rattle can (black primer wise). you probably wont spend as much as you are thinking with using a gun. probably the same amount of $$$
Old 10-21-2008, 07:22 AM
12 Second Club

Yea, I'll try to get with a buddy of mine. I actually believe he has a place to paint it with a compressor & gun. I'd just have to leave my car there for a couple days & drive the ******* around.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:06 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

If the cars that bad the rattle cans are better than leaving it looking like crap. Good luck.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 10-21-2008, 08:19 AM
12 Second Club

Here is a pic of my hood, just imagine this all over

This is a pic from when it first started. The scratches came from that bad ice storm that came thru last year. As it got warm & the ice broke down big chunks just slid off & left me with this mess. The paint looks even worse now as you can imagine after a year's worth more driving & washing the car. Makes me sad everytime I look at it.

Old 10-21-2008, 12:37 PM
Launching!

yeah, buzz all that crap off and then try spraying it yourself. just please dont use rattle can ish.

Quick Reply: Thinking about priming...