Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

how do you fix this??

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 12:21 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do you fix this??

Ok this is my first post on this site and im hoping that one of you guys can help me out. I have a 95 firebird that im getting ready to paint. The front bumper had some crazy spider cracks so i thought that i could sand the paint till they were gone, but the cracks are still visible on the bare plastic. all ideas are welcome
heres some pics

Old 12-07-2008, 12:33 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

filler primer should take care of that
Old 12-07-2008, 07:55 AM
Staging Lane

Default bumper

save yourself some time and replace. the filler primer will haunt you down the road
Old 12-07-2008, 08:26 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flirtnwithdisaster
save yourself some time and replace. the filler primer will haunt you down the road
Agreed, the cost of the bumper itself is REALLY cheap.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

those are stress cracks in the plastic, need a new bumper?? not really take your D.A. with 120, remove all the old paint and keep goin keeping that D.A. moving, you will see it slowly going away

then go to 180, then 240, polyurathene is the only plastic that does not swell up like TEO/TPO/TPE/PP , every primer on the market should be high build corrossion resistant primer like PPG`S ncp 271,

and yes regular primer sticks to everything, like when applied to plastic you use a adheshion promoter, sticks to metal, sticks to aluminum, its fixable if its done right by someone that has allot of experience with plastic
Old 12-07-2008, 01:26 PM
Launching!

You just need to sand all that paint off with some 60 grit until you get to just the plastic... just as bdyman said....

-justin
Old 12-07-2008, 01:43 PM
Staging Lane

LOL now thats funny right there
Originally Posted by ORedRoc4
You just need to sand all that paint off with some 60 grit until you get to just the plastic... just as bdyman said....

-justin
Old 12-07-2008, 01:46 PM
Staging Lane

bdyman How long have you been in the body business. You would not fix and paint this bumper. Unless you are the one who painted that orange bumper on the 98 swap site LOL
Old 12-07-2008, 02:03 PM
TECH Resident

lets see some pics of the whole car!
Old 12-07-2008, 02:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if you sand it down like that and prime... for one you run a chance of the bumper being wavey hits hard to keep the plastic straight when taking that much material off... and usally those spider crackes end up coming back.. if its just a DD car that you want to look decent... sand it and prime it... they will prob come back... if this is going to be a long term show car that you want to be perfect... replace the bumer... i am when i do mine... i have the same cracks in the front and rear....
Old 12-07-2008, 10:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by flirtnwithdisaster
bdyman How long have you been in the body business. You would not fix and paint this bumper. Unless you are the one who painted that orange bumper on the 98 swap site LOL
20 yrs and i dont know what your talkin about, you guys need to stop cryin about some stress cracks in plastic, c`mon you guys body men or parts changers?? like i said it takes allot of experience to make plastic look good

i have fixed worse, made my own plastic parts, plastic is fun to work with, stop cryin and fix some cars and make some money
Old 12-07-2008, 11:33 PM
On The Tree

i would replace it, but if you just gotta fix it, DA it down with something like 320 and keep the DA moving, just try not to swell the plastic. Once you have worked it down pretty good lay a thin layer of easy sand over it to fill the cracks and keep them from coming back out. Work the easy sand down then prime the hell out of it. those are some pretty nasty spider cracks so I would prime again...

I rushed my last car and just da/primered the spider cracks on the fiberglass hood. About 2 months after I painted it they started showing back up.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:54 AM
Staging Lane

I did not say anything about it being stress cracks. but to get rid of it it has to be brought back to the raw material. It just takes to much time to strip the complete bumper and put the adheision promoter then the flex prime. and sand to get slick then prime again then watersand then seal and paint. Abodyshop would charge 6 hrs to strip and prime. + materials. 350.00 just to get ready to paint. High build primer with flex is not recomended by any mfg. send the bumper to keystone they will chemicly strip in vat and prime with waterborn . cost 250.00 or buy a recon for 185.00 98 % ready to paint. 30 years in a top notch shop. Standox, ppg global or dbc ,dupont chroma base. I like all of the european clears
Originally Posted by bdyman
20 yrs and i dont know what your talkin about, you guys need to stop cryin about some stress cracks in plastic, c`mon you guys body men or parts changers?? like i said it takes allot of experience to make plastic look good

i have fixed worse, made my own plastic parts, plastic is fun to work with, stop cryin and fix some cars and make some money
Old 12-08-2008, 08:23 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NEW GM.....

http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/fi...wgmorused.aspx

$377.00

Used 250.00 and I am sure is better then what you have.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:21 PM
TECH Junkie

do as bdyman says ive been doing it for 8 years now and if done right it will look good for a long time
Old 12-09-2008, 05:07 PM
Teching In

hey thanks for all the comments and answers. im going to try and use high build surfacer and if it dosent work ill get a new bumper. thanks once again