Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

How do you mold a plyurethane body kit on?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you mold a plyurethane body kit on?

I can mold fibergalss parts and everything like that, but polyurethane is so flexible. Im putting the wings west w type trans am kit on my car, and i want to mold it to have no seperation lines. How would i go about doing that with polyurethane? Or whatever the stock bumper and wings west kit is made out of?
Old 03-14-2009, 03:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

probably need some sort of plastic repair product, fuzor makes some good stuff. just need to do a little product research
Old 03-14-2009, 05:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im trying but i keep getting how to make a mold as opposed to molding on a kit. Hey i should phrase it like that! Ill check that out
Old 03-14-2009, 06:28 PM
TECH Addict

why dont u just use fiberglass to mold it in???
Old 03-14-2009, 11:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

it will crack over time unless its just a show car i wouldnt advise it

if it were something small you might could get away with it but the only small part of the kit he has is the rear pars

but if he uses a plastic repair it would be like it was part of the stock plastic bumper and it will be bonded much stronger and will have the ability to flex but it wont crack like fiberglass would
Old 03-14-2009, 11:59 PM
TECH Regular

Might check with Eastwood as they carry products for body and paint.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:18 AM
TECH Resident

3m makes this i believe its #8115. Its a panel adhesive, but i have seen a friend of mine mold poly kits with it with no problems. Check into it they make a couple of different types some more flexible than others.

Its a two mix epoxy, and requires a special gun with a mix tip to do it.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pheonix
3m makes this i believe its #8115. Its a panel adhesive, but i have seen a friend of mine mold poly kits with it with no problems. Check into it they make a couple of different types some more flexible than others.

Its a two mix epoxy, and requires a special gun with a mix tip to do it.
I dont know if i could get into all that. Dont have a compressor or anything. Ive been reading a lot and it look slike everyone uses KITTY HAIR. I just didnt think it had enough flex in it. So i think what im going to do is run some support inside the bottome edge of the lip like forged aluminum strips that are bolted and or welded together and tie them into the frame. That way if i ever scrape it very good, i can deflect most damage. Also, the only reason im asking about molding is becuase i have an LT1 WS6 and the lip kit is for the 98+ model. The lined match up, but they are a little short. So i have to section it about 4 inches to get it on there. Plus i just prefer the molded look. IM unsure about the sideskirts, but i'll mold the rear spats regardless. I cant wait, i think it'll look amazing and either way it will deffinately be unique. I've only saw one LT1 WS6 with a 98+ W-type front lip and it looked great.

So, i found some videos on youtube, looks like most people skip the tape in favor of Gorilla Snot-type adhesive and either pop rivets or slef tapping screws.

After that, just kitty hair and plastic body filler. I hope thats enough, ill keep researching as much as possible but right now it looks like thats the way im going!
Old 03-15-2009, 04:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Try the body work section. Those guys know their ****.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

^That section is practically dead i never get a response there and those guys are probably here anyway lol. I prefer it here as long as its not too far off topic
Old 03-15-2009, 10:27 AM
TECH Junkie

step by step its pretty easy

step1: throw everything you have bought to do this in the trash

step2: throw the body kit in the trash

step3: sit back and be glad you didn't ruin your car
Old 03-15-2009, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02gtp4now
step by step its pretty easy

step1: throw everything you have bought to do this in the trash

step2: throw the body kit in the trash

step3: sit back and be glad you didn't ruin your car

Youre an ***.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:14 AM
On The Tree

Pheonix was right on with his response. Use the 3M 8115.

I personally have used this stuff and it is awesome. When he was referring to a special gun, it is more like a caulking gun and not an air gun. No compressor needed. You will need to buy a few cartridges depending on how much you are bonding.

There is another product that I would personally recommend. It is called Speedgrip. You can get it at some auto retailers and you can also buy it off of eBay. It works the same way that 8115 does. You use the special gun and it automatically mixes the two parts for you. I prefer the speed grip because i do a lot of my work myself and I can get the 5 minute setup stuff and be able to apply it and hold it for 5 minutes by myself.

Check it out eBay to buy and here:

http://www.nortonautomotive.com/Medi...ves%207663.pdf
Old 03-16-2009, 06:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Friday13th
Pheonix was right on with his response. Use the 3M 8115.

I personally have used this stuff and it is awesome. When he was referring to a special gun, it is more like a caulking gun and not an air gun. No compressor needed. You will need to buy a few cartridges depending on how much you are bonding.

There is another product that I would personally recommend. It is called Speedgrip. You can get it at some auto retailers and you can also buy it off of eBay. It works the same way that 8115 does. You use the special gun and it automatically mixes the two parts for you. I prefer the speed grip because i do a lot of my work myself and I can get the 5 minute setup stuff and be able to apply it and hold it for 5 minutes by myself.

Check it out eBay to buy and here:

http://www.nortonautomotive.com/Medi...ves%207663.pdf
This is great info but it raises a few more Q's. This is adhesive right? Meaning its purpose is to hold these parts onto the car? So do you just spread it in between and then apply kitty hair/bondo on top? Or do you spread it in between the panels, and then on top and just sand it down like you would kitty hair? If i were to use this, could you explain the process to me?
Old 03-16-2009, 07:46 AM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Post up pics when ya get it done man! Sounds like an awesome project and idea
Old 03-16-2009, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChevyChad
Post up pics when ya get it done man! Sounds like an awesome project and idea
Oh for sure, im a post ***** as long as i have something significant to show! I already have the side skrts on, took 5 minutes duh lol but i havnt molded anything yet. Waiting for my second tax return, from California.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by evilZO6
This is great info but it raises a few more Q's. This is adhesive right? Meaning its purpose is to hold these parts onto the car? So do you just spread it in between and then apply kitty hair/bondo on top? Or do you spread it in between the panels, and then on top and just sand it down like you would kitty hair? If i were to use this, could you explain the process to me?
You use the adhesive just like a caulk gun. Put a bed on the panel that you are attaching and clamp/hold it on for the time needed. ( Speedgrip makes different setup times.) Then you will need to apply fiberglass, bondo, kitty hair or whatever you want to smooth the transition between the two panels. Then sand it down.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Friday13th
You use the adhesive just like a caulk gun. Put a bed on the panel that you are attaching and clamp/hold it on for the time needed. ( Speedgrip makes different setup times.) Then you will need to apply fiberglass, bondo, kitty hair or whatever you want to smooth the transition between the two panels. Then sand it down.
ok so basically the adhesive is an alternative to bolts/screws/rivets/tape but you still do the molding/blending the same way with kitty hair etc. Ok looks like i have a game plan! Look for a build thread soon
Old 03-17-2009, 11:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

certain bumpers on these cars like the fenders are polyurathene plastic, wings west kits are whats called "fiberflex" its plastic and fiberglass mixed or some other material made into there kits
BONDO/FIBERGLASS DOES NOT AND WILL NOT STICK TO PLASTIC!!!!!!!!! AND WILL NOT LAST!!!!

fusor makes a product that bonds different plastic together, i just forget the product number, so being its 2 different materials, i would bond the kit with panle bond, yes panle bond and yes it sticks to plastic, then i would moldthe kit using the fusor product

ya cant really plastic weld due to it is 2 different material nothing will stick, so i would suggest panle bond first, then the other way, but your asking to do something when you have no compressor, and knowledge of what your about to do, no offense dude but this kind of custom work needs allot of experience

preping the pieces is a must for anything to stick, it doesnt stick by asking a question on a online forum, sure asking is fine but what if your screw it up, nothing works, you have spent all this money on material, then you bring the car to me example, now its going to cost you ALLOT! more becasue it was done wrong, and I have to redo everything you did, see my point??

experience experience is key to everything
Old 03-17-2009, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bdyman
certain bumpers on these cars like the fenders are polyurathene plastic, wings west kits are whats called "fiberflex" its plastic and fiberglass mixed or some other material made into there kits
BONDO/FIBERGLASS DOES NOT AND WILL NOT STICK TO PLASTIC!!!!!!!!! AND WILL NOT LAST!!!!

fusor makes a product that bonds different plastic together, i just forget the product number, so being its 2 different materials, i would bond the kit with panle bond, yes panle bond and yes it sticks to plastic, then i would moldthe kit using the fusor product

ya cant really plastic weld due to it is 2 different material nothing will stick, so i would suggest panle bond first, then the other way, but your asking to do something when you have no compressor, and knowledge of what your about to do, no offense dude but this kind of custom work needs allot of experience

preping the pieces is a must for anything to stick, it doesnt stick by asking a question on a online forum, sure asking is fine but what if your screw it up, nothing works, you have spent all this money on material, then you bring the car to me example, now its going to cost you ALLOT! more becasue it was done wrong, and I have to redo everything you did, see my point??

experience experience is key to everything

If you have so much superior knowlege why can't you spell it? Wings West kits are also 100% Urethane i dont know where you hear they're Fiberflex. I have plenty of experience, just becuase i dont own a compressor doesnt mean i havnt used one. I have done plenty of this type of stuff. The only difference, is i havn't done all plastic before, hence the questioning about products. Worse comes to worse, i have an extra front and rear fascia and actually two other firebirds. So im not at a huge risk for anything. Im sure i can relate my experience and i have some old messed up fascias and a camaro wings west kit that is damaged that im going to practice on first. If i cant get it done, ill take it to a professional. But i've thought about it a lot, and i dont see why i couldn't do it.

NOW SHIPPING! Wings West body kits and ground effects from AUTOMEGA. Wings West is well known for superior fitment, radical kit designs and they are an industry leader in the urethane body kit market. Each body kit by Wings West is carefully constructed in the USA using the highest quality urethane materials, and each kit is carefully packaged and shipped directly to you ready to be primed and painted at your local custom shop. Superior fitment means that it will cost you less to get your body kit installed! No major modifications, no warped parts. Wings West carries a full line of bumpers, bumper covers, side skirts, air dams and roll pans for your car, truck or SUV. Some of the most popular Wings West kits are the Ford Mustang Body Kits, the Chevy Camaro Custom Style Ground Effects kit, the Chevy S10 Custom Style Body Kit, the Dodge Charger Custom Style Body Kit, and the Scion TC A-Spec body kit, and the G55 Series body kits and fender flares for the Honda Civic.
If you're looking for other urethane ground effects packages, make sure you check out the Xenon lineup, where you will also find kits for the Hummer H2, the PT Cruiser, and the Ford F150 pickup.

When you order your body kit from customautotrim.com, you get the best deals and the highest quality product for your car or truck. Don't delay and take advantage of our special offers on Wings West body kits today!

There are plenty of flex fiber or as you put it "Fiberflex" kits out there but generally, theyre ebay kits, and not Wings Wests. So before you go giving such harsh advice, i'd research it since you're obviously talking partially out of your ***

Last edited by evilZO6; 03-17-2009 at 11:53 PM.

Quick Reply: How do you mold a plyurethane body kit on?