Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

I'm going to start AIR BRUSHING!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 12:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm going to start AIR BRUSHING!

So im really artistic. I've been wanting to try air brushing for a while now. I started researching today. So far, i really like all of Eds stuff at kustomshop.com. But as a newby, i know NO one that does it so before i jump in and order his stuff, which seems a little expensive, i figured id ask here hopeing someone with experience would chime in and help me out. Do you know any good places to get stencils? Any really good online sources fro info on techniques, special techniques, advice etc. And advice in general? IM excited to start but it looks like a pretty significant investment so i want to make sure i do it the right way. I also have a vinyl plotter so im sure between those two, with my imagination and artistic ability, i'll be able to come up with some crazy stuff. Hopefully make some side income pretty soon too!
Old 05-30-2009, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

No airbrushers in here?
Old 05-31-2009, 04:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a Badger 150 and its pretty good. Its versital enought to do almost anything accept culinary. Its not the best, but I think it was the best bang for the buck. My artwork is NOT limited my the airbrush, I can tell you that, and I'm pretty decent at it. As far as technique your best bet is just playing with it and see what happens when you do certain things. Practice makes perfect. As far as templates go, I usually make my own out of cardboard & scisors. You can use a lot of differant things for textures such as lace, pantyhose, tin foil, ceran wrap, etc..... Just experiment.
Old 05-31-2009, 04:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by McNord
I've got a Badger 150 and its pretty good. Its versital enought to do almost anything accept culinary. Its not the best, but I think it was the best bang for the buck. My artwork is NOT limited my the airbrush, I can tell you that, and I'm pretty decent at it. As far as technique your best bet is just playing with it and see what happens when you do certain things. Practice makes perfect. As far as templates go, I usually make my own out of cardboard & scisors. You can use a lot of differant things for textures such as lace, pantyhose, tin foil, ceran wrap, etc..... Just experiment.
Wow thanks, panty hose? Lace? That got me thinking thanks for the jumpstart! Any art youd like to show us? What do you personally do with your airbrushing?
As far as templates go, i have a vinyl plotter so i can design and cut anything i want, but for the repeat stuff it would be nice to have something heavy duty that i can reuse without having to cut again and again. I guess i could just cut it on vinyl, then lay it on some sort of thicker plastic sheet and cut it with an exacto!? Yea? Yea i think that'll work.
Old 05-31-2009, 05:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the Iwata hp-cs and it is an awesome gun for the price. I also bought the kustomshop true fire kit and the kit is as complete as you can get with ready to spray pre-mixed paints.
I watched some of his videos on Youtube and after watching Mike Lavalles videos I found Ed's to be more directive, I really just needed the steps to know what colors work best etc.
I watched Ed's videos once and what you see below is a pic of a 5.0 intake I painted for a friend and it was only the second time I ever painted fire, the airbox on my car is the third time but I need to redo it due to some paint lifting in areas.
It will come to you and I have a long way to go before I am happy with the work and it gets better and better BUT it is just a hobby and if you can find time to dedicate to it you can make alot of extra cash.

Good luck man with whatever you do and post pics OH try airbrush.com it is definitely the best online forum for airbrush artists and it has all the pros there to help you out.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

^Nice work dude!I'd be happy with it. airbrush.com got it, i'll definitely check that out. Mike is cool but he really shines at free hand stuff, Eds better IMO ll around. And his videos are great, im working at watching all 60 but that alone will take some time! Ill def do a thread once i start! I plan on getting the true fire kit as well as the skulls kit and a bunch of the Kustom shop stuff.