Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Throw me a rope here...

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 02:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throw me a rope here...

Hi guys thanks for the help, here's the deal.

-Im pretty much a newb to body work.

-The girlfriends foxbody (gag, i know) has really really bad surface rust, all over it. The car as a whole is solid, no rust throughs, but its just all over every pannel but the hood. (she's now too embarrassed to drive it and wants to take my Jeep everywhere!) HELP

-I have a rotary sander I can use (I think thats what its called)

-The plan is to sand off the rust and rattle can some primer, then take it to one of the $100 paint booths, get it sprayed and sell it. (Seriously its only a $1000 car, so we're not looking for show quality here).

-The question is: What kind of sanding pads will I need, and what is the best way to do it? Any information is helpful. THANKS!
Old 06-03-2009, 07:25 PM
Staging Lane

you could probably get away with 240 grit sand paper for the whole thing... thats gritty enough to remove the surface rust and you can prime over it. id only recommend that if your really wanting a bang up job, its not the best way but it'd accomplish what you want i think. harbor freight sells some really cheap da paper, it wont last long but one roll should last the whole car.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:07 PM
TECH Resident

cool thanks man!

Im wondering if I should sand then use that primer that turns rust to primer or whatever then sand again?
Old 06-03-2009, 09:43 PM
Staging Lane

id sand the rust completely off, then you wouldnt need that stuff, just a regular self etch for the bare metal spots would do fine
Old 06-03-2009, 11:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Use some tack cloth or some lacquer thinner to clean the surface after sanding. I made the mistake of not doing that and the primer lifted from the metal a couple months later
Old 06-04-2009, 12:05 AM
Staging Lane

yep, wax and grease remover to clean, wipe on with one cloth wipe off with another, then a tack cloth is only like a buck at oriellys or something, when you take it out of the package unfold the whole thing , wad it back up in a loosely in your hand and lightly brush the surface with it, that'll pick up all the dust, if you wipe it down hard with it, then it can leave residue on the surface causing fish eyes in the paint or primer
Old 06-04-2009, 02:59 PM
TECH Resident

some good info guys, thanks!