Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Hail damage - Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 05:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hail damage - Need advice

State Farm checked the car today and minus my 500 dollar deductable, cut me a check for 2300 dollars. The damage to my car requires a new hood, new left mirror, and paintless dent repair to the left and right rear 1/4 panels. (all mental parts were dented basically) The car is an 02 I only owe about 1k on the car. If the car were newer or an SS Id be interested in returning it to stock but now I know I have a couple of options with hoods (sonoco looks cool). I know I could get the rear 1/4 panels fixed for about 250 leaving me money to play with for the hood and side mirror. I know red is hard to match and usually requires spraying other panels to match the color. A new genuine hood from a direct gm supplier will only run me 675 bucks. Id like to get the whole car done for about 1750-2k if possible. What would you guys do? I am located in Austin Tx if anyone has someone they trust around here with getting the hood done. I know that can be a major pita. Especially for fiberglass if I go that option.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:10 PM
Staging Lane

Is the GM hood an SS style? If so, I would probably go that route. The fiberglass hoods are good if you buy a decent one. You can get pure junk too. I have used cervini, harwood, glasstek, suncoast customs and had good luck with all of them. The red is not to bad to match on the camaros because the paint code has been used for years. I believe the code is wa 8774. I would have the quarters PDRed if the have not scratches (cheaper than having them painted and are easily repaired by a good technician. If you were closer to Duncan Ok I could hook you up. I run a small shop that could fit the bill! Good luck with your repairs.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would buy a sunoco hood have it painted, fix the mirror and then get the dents fixed. you might even have some money left over.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:06 AM
TECH Regular

I would first pay off that 1K left over and get the quarter dents fixed.

Get the side mirrors used from a junkyard or ebay for cheap (a mirror is a mirror right?) which should put you at around 1400 out total (1000+250+~150) then you've got 900 left for whatever hood you'd like.

Good luck!
Old 06-20-2009, 01:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

was this the crazy storm we got in March? i got $2300 worth of damage but my deductible was $1K...

There is a good shop that did my hood install (OEM ws6) called Protech on lamar, they do mostly import customization but do good body work....

My insurance company suggested that i get the repairs done through B and B body, who did awsome paint work....but reinstalled my bumper a bit off
Old 06-21-2009, 09:35 PM
On The Tree

I managed to dodge that one. This one happened a couple weeks ago up in Cedar Park.

Quick Reply: Hail damage - Need advice