Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Type of metal used in stock hood.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Type of metal used in stock hood.

Well I was beginning to get into doing some body work after successfully filling, painting, and buffing some scratches here and there on my car, but the I noticed the hood is in pretty bad shape. Enough to re-paint it. But before immediately jumping into stripping my hood, I was going to run to Lowes and buy the same kind of metal that hood is made of, bend it up, ding it, fill it, sand, paint, ect. to get some practice and figure out what I'm doing. Anyways, didn't mean to tell you my life story on painting, but if anyone knows what the stock hood on a 2000 T/A (non-WS6) is made of that would be awesome! (Assuming aluminum but didn't know how special the material is)

Thanks,
Kyle
Old 06-25-2009, 01:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe it's just standard sheet metal. Not sure on the gauge. Maybe 18 or 20?
Old 06-25-2009, 01:56 PM
TECH Regular

Gauge isn't an issue, just as long as I can find a type of metal that responds similar to the type of metal in my hood to paint.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:25 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

The ws6 and ss hoods are fiberglass the rest are metal.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 06-25-2009, 04:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kdick91
Well I was beginning to get into doing some body work after successfully filling, painting, and buffing some scratches here and there on my car, but the I noticed the hood is in pretty bad shape. Enough to re-paint it. But before immediately jumping into stripping my hood, I was going to run to Lowes and buy the same kind of metal that hood is made of, bend it up, ding it, fill it, sand, paint, ect. to get some practice and figure out what I'm doing. Anyways, didn't mean to tell you my life story on painting, but if anyone knows what the stock hood on a 2000 T/A (non-WS6) is made of that would be awesome! (Assuming aluminum but didn't know how special the material is)

Thanks,
Kyle
They are steel.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:01 AM
TECH Regular

Thank ya'll very much! I just found a spray gun in my garage, so I will let everyone know how this goes on my next day off work!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Type of metal used in stock hood.