Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Door Damage

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 02:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Door Damage

So, my camaro has some damage to the inside of the door. I don't know if the door will have to be replaced or if it is possibly fixable. I can post some pictures tonight.

Here's the deal, the inside of the door, where the hinges mount up to, has some fiberglass cracking going on. It is causing the door to drop about an inch while opened. Also you have to lift up on the door to close it properly. So my question is, is it possible to have this fixed? If it is possible, I am sure it depends on the extent of the damage. I understand replacing the door is an option, but I was hoping that there might be a cheaper alternative.

So my questions are, do you guys know of a way this could possibly be fixed without replacing the door? Also, what type of place would handle this? I called a couple of body shops but they said they don't work with fiberglass and basically wouldn't touch it. Well, that and they wanted me to pay them to even look at the car to see if they could do anything.

Thanks.

Last edited by adamB; 06-29-2009 at 02:21 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should be able to do this your self. Get some Bondo glass (make sure it comes with the hardner, or buy some if it doesnt)

and some course sandpapers. scratch up the inside and out sides of the crack(s).

If you're not comfortable removing the door and working on a work bench, get a floor jack to support the door, but I'd recommend removing the door. You'll need some help supporting the door, its heavy.

Depending on where it is broken, you might try using some C clamps to hold pieces together.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:26 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Your going to need to reinforce that area or the door is still going to drop. That bondo glass or duraglss is a fiberglass filled body filler it is stronger than regular bondo but not strong enough to support the door hinges.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 07-02-2009, 02:31 PM
12 Second Club

I have decided not to mess with it. It seems it will be too much trouble to save a few dollars, so I am just going to replace the door. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 07-04-2009, 02:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by adamB
I have decided not to mess with it. It seems it will be too much trouble to save a few dollars, so I am just going to replace the door. Thanks for the help guys.
Good choice. You can replace the doors pretty cheap anymore.

Quick Reply: Door Damage