Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Painting prep...

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 02:48 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Painting prep...

I bought a used painted bumper for my car to replace the one that got cracked. The used bumper i bought is pewter and my car is black so it needs repainted. I had a couple questions about preping this for paint. Do i need to go all the way to the fiberglass when i sand? Does all the paint need to be removed? What grit paper should i use to sand it down? Any suggestions on how to prep this bumper would be great! Thanks!
Old 07-05-2009, 05:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hopefully somebody else with more experience will chime in but my guess would be youd want to start with a 120grit and work your way to a 320grit. Prime then sand with 400 and then 600. Do your basecoat. Do your clear and sand with 1000, 1500, 2000 then a good rubbing compound and then a polishing compound. This is just my guess though, like I said hopefully some of the experienced painters will chime in. Worst case scenario just take it to a good body shop.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:54 PM
Teching In

It all depends on how bad the paint is on the pewter one. if it is not bad sand with 400 grit wet or dry .if it is bad like a gang of chips,lower scraps or pealing 120 or 180 grit then 320. sand to you get to the base or the plastic then primer let dry then sand with 400. after that your ready to paint (sealer,paint,clear)
Old 07-06-2009, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

something like a front bumper cover is going to get alot of road action (rocks and ****), so youll need some good prep. If the clear coat is spider cracking then youll need to sand the thing down with a DA with probably 320, if it was me id sand it down anyways spidercracked or not just because its on the front of the car. Then of course primer and block then maybe primer and block again filling with puddy both times. You should only need to wetsand the primer after blocking. I just prepped my entire car for a repaint and it came out beautiful.

Quick Reply: Painting prep...