Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

homade paint booth to paint whole car

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 04:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default homade paint booth to paint whole car

Ok, so another member has decided to paint his camaro Cyber Gray Metallic. car is currently black. Ive been wanting to try this for years so im helping.

Were going to build a frame and wall it in painters plastic to put it al in. leaving a large whole for a large fan, in essance a horizontal draft booth, the fan will have filters on it, will be a space heater to get the temp where needed and for the bake. A dehumidifyer in the room, large compressor with a dryer, and we are disassembling the car as much as possible. hood, front fenders, doors, deck lid, berger panel, bumpers, etc.

All prep, primer, paint, and clear will be done by us.

Has anybody tried this? any suggestions? The paint, primer, clear, yada yada are coming from PPG. so far nothing has been done, we are trying to get a full list of supplies and process to do it right. Ive got a pretty good knowledge of whats going on but ive never tried it like this before, id love to see it coming out looking fantastic.

I would also love for it to work so we can spread the word on how, when we do it I plan on lots of pics and a step by step tutorial on how to paint your own car on the cheap.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:30 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes i have done something very similar to this and it will work fine. Just make sure that you have good filtered air coming in and that noone in the general vicinity is detailing their car or you will have a fisheye problem. It should turn out fine just don't rush it. Good luck.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 07-10-2009, 02:24 PM
Teching In

make sure you have no water in the air lines.
Old 07-11-2009, 04:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BYOFICR04QSM
make sure you have no water in the air lines.
yeah im going to borrow a purifyer from work, also a flow and pressure regulator.

BMR, any tips? maybe the Cliff's Notes of how you did it? It will all be done in its own large room as far as I am to understand it. What kind of filters did you use for the draft air?
Old 07-11-2009, 08:21 PM
On The Tree

i made a wood frame and used return filters from the house ac then a big shop fan on the other side blowing air out of the shop
Old 07-11-2009, 08:22 PM
On The Tree

get a good gun i like the sata
Old 07-12-2009, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mknight759
i made a wood frame and used return filters from the house ac then a big shop fan on the other side blowing air out of the shop
LOL thats exactly what ive been planning to do
Old 07-13-2009, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bump.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:34 AM
11 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

if you are removing panels from the car i would suggest using PPG DC 3000 High Velocity Clearcoat.This stuff looks great and is ready to cut and buff after 1.5 hours of air drying.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by EDS01SS
if you are removing panels from the car i would suggest using PPG DC 3000 High Velocity Clearcoat.This stuff looks great and is ready to cut and buff after 1.5 hours of air drying.
were getting all the paint clear primer etc from my Aunt, shes the General Manager of a PPG store. Shes recommended:

DBC basecoat/clearcoat in either omne MBC or MBP
ppg paint
mr187 reducer
mp282 hardener/reduce if it has high and low spots

Keep in mind shes recommending these as good product but also accounting for how and who is doing the spraying, NOT recommending bad *** product that takes 10 years expirence to get right. Plus shes run that store for at least 22 years that I know of so i trust her judgement, lol
Old 07-14-2009, 09:14 AM
11 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah thats all good stuff no doubt. I just recommended that clear because of drying time and the fact that you are unable to bake it. That was just my 2 cents.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you get ready to start painting wet the floor down with a water hose. This helps keep dust or anything for that matter stay on the floor and not in the paint .
Old 07-14-2009, 01:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 07-15-2009, 04:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by EDS01SS
Yeah thats all good stuff no doubt. I just recommended that clear because of drying time and the fact that you are unable to bake it. That was just my 2 cents.
well thats a very good point. My idea with the space heater ( the big jet engine lookin one) is the bake, although im not sure how high i can get the temp. Ive also got some large burners from work that run natural gas and compressed air, they make a HUGE amount of heat. not sure if we have gas plumbing though.

Originally Posted by bjamick
When you get ready to start painting wet the floor down with a water hose. This helps keep dust or anything for that matter stay on the floor and not in the paint .
I was thinkin to cover the floor in painters plastic then drive the car onto the plastic, completely enclose the car in a clean room. Would you still suggest wetting the floor?

Originally Posted by NemeSS
Old 07-16-2009, 12:40 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. As far as the filters go i hate to say it but we used the fiberglass cheap ones that you can pick up anywhere. They did the job. Take your time when you are applying the material. Let it dry enough in between coats don't rush it. Get a basecoat tack rag and after each coat of base is dry tack it off lightly. You will have overspray settle down on the parts. Don't rub hard just go over it lightly. Im sure you know this but don't tack the clear. If something gets in it you can sand and buff it out after it dries. The key is patience don't rush it and if the clear has trash or has a little peel in it you can sand and buff it glassy slick. Good Luck.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 07-17-2009, 09:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hey man sounds like a good plan but the one thing i wouldn't recommend is the plastic on the floor or even close to the car, all the overspray that gets on the floor will dry and once it dries on the plastic it will flake off and you may see some flakes flying in the air right into your fresh paint! I would just wet the floor! Just a thought!
Old 07-18-2009, 04:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by whiteheartbeat
Hey man sounds like a good plan but the one thing i wouldn't recommend is the plastic on the floor or even close to the car, all the overspray that gets on the floor will dry and once it dries on the plastic it will flake off and you may see some flakes flying in the air right into your fresh paint! I would just wet the floor! Just a thought!
i can honestly say that never crossed my mind, thanx. im thinkin the draft air would carry it away though, would it not?
Old 07-18-2009, 06:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

It might carry it away but either way unless you're in a real booth there is always going to be some overspray. Either way the plastic is going to have paint on it and it also will be very sticky especially when you shoot your clear coat, its going to be sticking as you're standing on it. Anyways its your choice but in my experience i don't use plastic anywhere near where i'm spraying i learned it the hard way! Good luck
Old 07-18-2009, 07:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by whiteheartbeat
It might carry it away but either way unless you're in a real booth there is always going to be some overspray. Either way the plastic is going to have paint on it and it also will be very sticky especially when you shoot your clear coat, its going to be sticking as you're standing on it. Anyways its your choice but in my experience i don't use plastic anywhere near where i'm spraying i learned it the hard way! Good luck
Would paper work better? Im kinda concerned about the dust put off naturally by cement and concrete, thats why i want to put something down on the floor.

Youve obviously done this or something similar, what all materials have you tried? im open to ideas from any and everybody so speak your mind, thanks in advance.
Old 07-18-2009, 03:28 PM
Staging Lane

paint or seal the floor.

Quick Reply: homade paint booth to paint whole car