Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

T-top to convert?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 01:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default T-top to convert?

I found a firebird convert in the junk yard I can probably get cheap. How bad or hard would it be to covert a ttop car into a vert? And what would I have to do. Please, I don't want answers about money or anything no relevant. I want real information from people who have done this or who are very familiar with the differences in a t top car and a vert car. Thanks.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It would be easier to swap all your stuff over to the vert and use that to build from. I don't think the t-top car is stiff enough, plus it is a hatch back, the vert has a trunk. There would be A LOT of fab work to create the trunk area in the t-top car. Even with a good donor car I don't think its worth the effort.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Duh I didn't think of that lol. have to get a better look at the vert car and see how much the yard will sell to me for. But what if it's got a salvage or scrap title? Any idea about that?
Old 07-22-2009, 06:56 PM
Staging Lane

Be better off buying a vert to swap over stuff. If your asking how to do it this probally means you dont know how to take a huge task like this on. If you were thinking about paying someone to do it then you could by 2 mint verts for what labor would cost
Old 07-23-2009, 12:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the advice. I hate when people say crap like that. This is a forum to learn how to do things. So your saying if I, or anybody posts up questions on how to do something that means they can't do it? You don't know my mechanical ability, I didn't ask to critique on my abilities, I asked for experienced people who know the differences on verts and coupes to see if I can do it. I can pretty much do anything. I taught myself how to work on cars, weld, and paint cars so I know I can do it if at all possible. Thats what I was asking if it was possible cause i'm not familiar with verts. But thanks anyways i'd probablty be better off seeing what I can get that vert for.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pavetim
Duh I didn't think of that lol. have to get a better look at the vert car and see how much the yard will sell to me for. But what if it's got a salvage or scrap title? Any idea about that?
If you don't care about resale value and you know the work was done right a salvage title should be no problem. I am not sure what differant states require for an inspection or anything about a scrap title. Find out what its got first, then find out what you would need to do to be able to register it.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:44 AM
Staging Lane

You would have to stiffen the car up if you made it a vert. If coupes can twist from stock LS1 power imagine what how much integeraty you would loose when you chop up the roof.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You'll hate this answer: A convertible top isn't merely an extra option you can move from one car to another like a set of wheels. It's a completely different body structure.

It would be less work to change a t-top car into a sedan.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a convertible has a different floor pan bracing, double layers in some areas or something along those lines, and this is a major structural difference between a coupe and vert.

this is why subframe connectors are different for convertible models.

Ryan
Old 07-23-2009, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slow
a convertible has a different floor pan bracing, double layers in some areas or something along those lines, and this is a major structural difference between a coupe and vert.

this is why subframe connectors are different for convertible models.

Ryan
I would think a set of hard top sub frame connectors would take care of that. Thats all thats required for extra strength on the cars that have been converted to a targa top and thats not much differant than a vert as far as strength is concerned.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thought about doing the targa top too. I'm definately not doing the vert thing now didn't know they were that different. Ok now a change in subject anybody have informatin on doing the targa setup? I would imagine you can use the t-top locks for the ends and just cut out the center roof. But i'd think you'd need an extra "lock" in the center. Anybody have a how to do a targa top conversion?
Old 07-23-2009, 11:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

He is a sponsor here, I think he is still planning on producing the kit but I am not sure.

http://6litereaterdesigns.com/forum/...hp?topic=273.0

Quick Reply: T-top to convert?